Sorry, how many servings per packet?

Excuse the rant.

So in almost every supermarket I've shopped in, you can buy those packets of fresh tortellini. They're yummy, and freeze well. Perfect for a lazy dinner. Wonderful. One packet does two people for a nice filling meal. And recently I've noticed that the calories per serving seems to be lower than I remember it being at my local Sainsbury's. Wow, that's great...right? Expect then I looked at the number of servings. "Per 1/3 Packet".

I'm sorry, no. Nobody is having 1/3 of a packet. They're having half of one. Doing a little bit of research it appears that they might've slightly increased the weight of the pack, so there is actually more in the packet. But not enough for another person (based off the previous serving size). It's quite clearly a cynical attempt to make their product seem more healthy/less calories than it is.
Side note: Interestingly, on the online shopping store, the same packets are listed for two people

So you guys got any more ridiculous serving sizes?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    One of my favs is Pop Tarts. 2 Pop Tarts come in each individually sealed package. Serving size? Only one of 'em. :/

yes!!!! :laugh:
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Microwave rice is meant to be 2 portions a packet @ around 200 cals per portion. Seems quite low in calories but its a tiny portion for one person. Ok if your having chips with it though or a tonne of veg.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I had a granola cereal that came in individual packages. There were 4 packages in the box. Number of servings per box? 10. Each packet was 2.5 servings.

LOL they should not be allowed to do that. What are you supposed to do, keep that last half serving and then combine it with half a serving from the next packet??
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Yup, bought naan once thinking it was 180 calories per piece. Wow great deal right... Then I rechecked the pkg and saw it was for half a piece? Who eats half a piece of bread?

This is the one I came to mention. Naan always seems to have half a piece as the serving size and it drives me crazy. Who is cutting that little six-inch round in half?

I like to use them as the base for a quick pizza-type snack for my husband, but I can't bring myself to eat them because 300 calories for a boring piece of bread...nope.