What food has surprised you because of the calorie content?

Options
12346»

Replies

• drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Pasta. I thought pasta was bad because it was "refined." I thought "refined" meant something more like Cheetos. But no, a reasonable-sized serving of pasta, just plain, is 400 cal!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    avocado
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Not surprised but I am always disappointed at the number of calories in a tortilla wrap!

May be just a US thing, but Xtreme Wellness High Fiber wraps @50 calories each are my favorite wrap even if I have room for a different wrap. they are soft but fairly strong and taste good. I have an easier time making a wrap or burrito that doesn't fall apart with them than I do with regular flour tortillas. When I was losing, i would reconstitute some PB2 and spread it on one and roll it up. That came out to 100 calories and is pretty tasty and filling.

I'm not sure if we can get them in the UK but I am now on a mission to see if I can find some - google shall be my friend - thanks :)
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Not surprised but I am always disappointed at the number of calories in a tortilla wrap!

May be just a US thing, but Xtreme Wellness High Fiber wraps @50 calories each are my favorite wrap even if I have room for a different wrap. they are soft but fairly strong and taste good. I have an easier time making a wrap or burrito that doesn't fall apart with them than I do with regular flour tortillas. When I was losing, i would reconstitute some PB2 and spread it on one and roll it up. That came out to 100 calories and is pretty tasty and filling.

I'm not sure if we can get them in the UK but I am now on a mission to see if I can find some - google shall be my friend - thanks :)

Amazon.co.uk used to do them but say they are out of stock and they do not know when they will be availbale again. Ho hum - my world will consist of deconstructed spicy chicken wraps :'(:D
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I was actually pleasantly surprised to find out I could have enough pasta to fill me up for under 500 calories. When I made a pasta dish in the recipe builder and weighed it, I was expecting to find I would not be able to have very much while staying within calories. I put what I wanted on my plate, and weighed it out. It turned out to be enough food and I didn't blow my calories for the day like I thought I would. Restaurant pasta is a whole other beast though. The only saving grace for it, is that it microwaves well. So I can eat half now and half later.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    fb47 wrote: »
    Bread is not bad, it depends which ones you get of course. I used to eat Country Harvest Protein bread, they were 110 calories per slice....but if you get the PC Blue ones, I think they are like 50 calories per slice.

I have never heard of those breads - are they a US thing, or am I just not being terribly observant?

I’ll sometimes use sandwich thins, but they don’t make a terribly satisfying sandwich. And with more normal bread, or a roll, once I’ve got two slices and a tiny amount of filling that’s my lunch allowance all gone and more and I haven’t even added butter or veg. It’s just not worth it.

So nowadays I buy nice bread when it’s on special offer, freeze it, and have a slice with my lunch as an occasional treat.

There's a bread I get in the US, at Whole Foods, called something like "Silver Hills 16-grain something or other." It's 100 calories per slice, with 6 g protein, and tastes great toasted.

Again, not something I’ve ever seen in the UK.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Avocados continually surprise me with how calorie dense they are for being a fruit (and they surprise me for being considered a fruit). I can easily eat one a day, but they can be difficult to fit in sometimes, especially the large ones once you weigh them.

I'm also surprised often by what foods they make in "0 calorie" versions. The fact that a soda can taste good and be 0 calories still surprises me sometimes. They make 0 calorie salad dressings, chocolate syrup, and coffee syrups. Now, they might not taste any good, but they make them.... :D

An avocado is primarily comprised of dietary fat...dietary fat is 9 calories per gram. Anything with a seed is a fruit rather than a vegetable...so like cucumbers are a fruit, tomatoes are a fruit, squashes are a fruit, etc. A lot of what people think are vegetables are actually fruits.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Regular coffee with cream and sugar from Dunkin Donuts - 190 calories?!!! I could almost have a Snicker's Bar for that many calories!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I was surprised by how high sushi can be in calories. And I thought it was going to be on the lower side. I have to budget my calories during the day if I want to treat myself to a few (like max 3) rolls of sushi. Don't get me started on the spicy mayo but that one is at least obvious. I use lite mayo,lime juice and sriracha for my dipping sauce for sushi when I order take out now. Less calories and almost as tasty :)

Wasabi and soy sauce?
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was surprised by how high sushi can be in calories. And I thought it was going to be on the lower side. I have to budget my calories during the day if I want to treat myself to a few (like max 3) rolls of sushi. Don't get me started on the spicy mayo but that one is at least obvious. I use lite mayo,lime juice and sriracha for my dipping sauce for sushi when I order take out now. Less calories and almost as tasty :)

Wasabi and soy sauce?

Not a big fan of either of those, especially wasabi. That stuff is nasty.