Confused and demoralized

Options

Replies

• ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh....I am seeing quite a bit of salty food in that example. Are you going high on your sodium?
  • rekrapetak
    rekrapetak Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    No I don’t often eat back exercise calories. I eat a fair amount I feel and I can’t physically take much more to work and after dinner I put my kids down and am free from about 9:30. Then it’s a bit late. I can’t throw in a chocolate bar or anything as I’m a bit of an addict.

Re. The calorie calculation. I think you’ll find that’s ok for a rough estimate but far from accurate. I’m calculating this based on my Apple Watch which takes into account heart-rate, distance, speed (I believe). The active calories is the amount on top of the regular calories you would burn by sitting around top. So I take the smaller of the totals. Im pretty certain power walking a mile will burn more calories than a leisurely slow walk of the same distance.

I have to be honest I didn’t think that example was high in sodium at all? I’m not all that good at the nutritional side of things but I’ve never gone over the recommended sodium level on here and don’t usually add salt to meals. Maybe I’m eating foods I didn’t realise were high in salt?
  • rekrapetak
    Options
    The nuts were raw almonds
  • MStublefield
    MStublefield Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? When my weight plateaus but I'm doing everything else right, it's water weight. Drink a bunch for a few days and I bet you'll see a precipitous drop.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    rekrapetak wrote: »
    No I don’t often eat back exercise calories. I eat a fair amount I feel and I can’t physically take much more to work and after dinner I put my kids down and am free from about 9:30. Then it’s a bit late. I can’t throw in a chocolate bar or anything as I’m a bit of an addict.

Re. The calorie calculation. I think you’ll find that’s ok for a rough estimate but far from accurate. I’m calculating this based on my Apple Watch which takes into account heart-rate, distance, speed (I believe). The active calories is the amount on top of the regular calories you would burn by sitting around top. So I take the smaller of the totals. Im pretty certain power walking a mile will burn more calories than a leisurely slow walk of the same distance.

I have to be honest I didn’t think that example was high in sodium at all? I’m not all that good at the nutritional side of things but I’ve never gone over the recommended sodium level on here and don’t usually add salt to meals. Maybe I’m eating foods I didn’t realise were high in salt?

Since you have an apple watch, go to the health app on your phone. Out of curiosity, what's your total calories for the day (average). That's the total of both active and resting. For most of us, that's a pretty good estimate of TDEE. For 1lb loss a week, subtract 500 calories from that and that's about how much you should be eating in deficit.

For example, my average active and resting is 2600. If I want to lose a pound a week, I could eat roughly 2100 calories a day. I aim for 1800-2000, but sometimes go over. My average deficit is currently right at 700 calories a day. Yes, its still estimates, but I've found it to be quite accurate for my needs.

You may find you are not eating nearly enough. Less than 900 net calories a day isn't exactly healthy.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Looks like you’re eating a lot of salty foods and if you’re not drinking much water then that’s probably what it is. Drink more water it’ll help with water retention. Also you’re not eating enough, although that wouldn’t explain you not losing. Don’t starve yourself, that is not sustainable. I’m curious to know what your Apple Watch says you’re burning (average.)
  • rekrapetak
    Options
    1700 +700 in my avg inactive/active burn so I think for 2lb loss I should aim for 1400 which is only 102 more than my example?

Any fast cheap and easy filler snack suggestions to bridge the gap?? (Other than fruit and veg!)

I’ll definitely drink more but I struggle identifying salty food- can you advise ones to watch out for?
  • snemberton
    Options
    1700 +700 in my avg inactive/active burn so I think for 2lb loss I should aim for 1400 which is only 102 more than my example?

Any fast cheap and easy filler snack suggestions to bridge the gap?? (Other than fruit and veg!)

I’ll definitely drink more but I struggle identifying salty food- can you advise ones to watch out for?
    How much are you trying to lose? Most people aren't heavy enough that 2 lbs a week would be realistic goal. I'm 202 right now and have 50 more lbs to lose and I only target for 1.25 lbs loss a week.

• rekrapetak
    Options
    I suppose I came from slimming world to this. Where my total weight loss goal was 3 and a half stone (based on 13 stone starting) and they constantly encourage you to aim for 2-3 a week! And if you maintain you are extra vigilant the following week. Maybe I should increase this then and start aiming for a lb a week. Although I think I might find it hard to eat that mainly calories in a day.... perhaps a sandwich for lunch instead?! Thanks for the advice guys. It’s hard to know when your doing it on your own!
  • rekrapetak
    Options
    UWell that’s when I add a slice of toast to my breakfast and allow myself a treat every now and then? Like a donut or dessert? I find healthy fillers hard. I’m great at adding extra calories with unhealthy options though!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    UWell that’s when I add a slice of toast to my breakfast and allow myself a treat every now and then? Like a donut or dessert? I find healthy fillers hard. I’m great at adding extra calories with unhealthy options though!

Peanut butter
  • snemberton
    Options
    I suppose I came from slimming world to this. Where my total weight loss goal was 3 and a half stone (based on 13 stone starting) and they constantly encourage you to aim for 2-3 a week! And if you maintain you are extra vigilant the following week. Maybe I should increase this then and start aiming for a lb a week. Although I think I might find it hard to eat that mainly calories in a day.... perhaps a sandwich for lunch instead?! Thanks for the advice guys. It’s hard to know when your doing it on your own!

If you can't eat a little more now, what happens when you get to maibtenance?
    This!

Maintenance for you would be nearly 2400 calories a day, if you keep up the activity level.
  • snemberton
    Options
    Ice cream has calcium and the halo top types are full of protein. It's healthy! I try to fit in ice cream daily. I'm super fond of the Skinny Cow pretzel bar things.

I also like chocolate pecan pie. Nuts have nutrients, and in moderation, chocolate can have health benefits.

Allow yourself to splurge a little, especially if you have the calories for it. It makes it all so much easier.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options

To the bolded: No, it's pretty close to the same calories, maybe give or take a tiny few for arm swinging or something. Same person, same distance, all walking (not running) = about the same calories. Calories per minute are higher for the power walk. Calories per mile are about the same.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    FWIW, when I’m cutting, my goal is 0.5lb/wk with a 250cal daily deficit (on average). The two weeks following TOM, I stay the same scale weight (or gain). The two weeks following ovulation I lose 2 lb (or more). So on average, the math works reliably, but it takes a month long perspective. Give it time and find your pattern.

Have you tried a trend app or a rolling average? Like a lot of things, it’s a mistake to make much of a data point in isolation. Data needs context. It’s more accurate to focus on your weight trend than a spurious data point. I’ve been doing this long enough to know better, but I still get psyched out by an unexpected high weight. So I sympathize. Knowing your pattern helps.