Which is more important to you: Quality or quantity?

stfpa
stfpa Posts: 62 Member
Do you need a lot of food in order to be successful or a smaller amount of food that tastes great? (I know you can have quality and quantity at the same time, but let’s be honest, the really good stuff has a ton of calories)

If you’re a quantity person, what are some of the lower calorie things you eat?
If you’re a quality person, how do you feel satiated with a small amount of food? What do you do to avoid overeating?

Replies

• rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Quantity. I eat huge salads. Anything I would make a sandwich or burger with, I just eat in a salad instead. I use salsa for dressing.

All my meat is lean (tuna, ground turkey, shrimp, etc). Yogurt is nonfat. I use laughing cow cheese wedges. I like getting protein from bars that are below 230 calories (Quest, Combat).

I don't eat much fruit when I'm trying to lose weight. Not much bread. I keep my fats around .35 per gram of body weight.

But honestly, I'm a tank right now and I just eat everything.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited July 2018
    Quantity. I eats loads of veggies - and bulk up everything with more veggies - and have a salad - and more veggies, leaner meats, occasionally fruits/yogurts. I also eat a fair amount of beans/lentils which are a little higher in calories but pack a ton of fiber which, along with a decent volume of food, helps me feel full more than protein and fat. I tend not to eat a lot of bread or pasta because I’d prefer to use those calories on more meat or just plain more food (I don’t find bread or pasta particularly satiating).

As for the “good” stuff-I am training for a marathon and have one long run a week that in currently in the neighborhood of 20 miles and burns about 2000 calories. I have my “good” food on this day because 1. I’m ravenous after a long run and 2. With the extra calorie burn, I can eat foods that I find satiating and properly fuel me AND have a donut that is really tasty but leaves me hungry again 7 minutes later.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    I’m mostly about quality, but that doesn’t mean that some quality meals can’t be low calorie and high quantity.

Mostly in this weight loss journey I have learned to eat what I want - I just stay within my calorie allowance. Exercise gives me some cushion - but that’s a bonus. By eating the foods I enjoy I am satisfied and don’t crave more.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    I started out with a preference for quantity. My former fat self was a volume eater and that's what I was used to so that's what I continued with up until the 60 pound loss mark or so. Then I started noticing that I was feeling satisfied by "normal" sized portions. I didn't adjust my portion sizes intentionally, but I did realize that I was naturally moderating myself and felt satisfied before I finished eating something. So now I'm not really eating the lower calorie volume foods (tons of vegetables, shirataki noodles, etc.) to bulk up my meals anymore. I'm not sure what happened. Maybe my appetite adjusted itself with the needs of my smaller body.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    I started out with a preference for quantity. My former fat self was a volume eater and that's what I was used to so that's what I continued with up until the 60 pound loss mark or so. Then I started noticing that I was feeling satisfied by "normal" sized portions. I didn't adjust my portion sizes intentionally, but I did realize that I was naturally moderating myself and felt satisfied before I finished eating something. So now I'm not really eating the lower calorie volume foods (tons of vegetables, shirataki noodles, etc.) to bulk up my meals anymore. I'm not sure what happened. Maybe my appetite adjusted itself with the needs of my smaller body.

Wished that happened to me. I'm a tank now, even after weight loss.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Right now .. quality. I will save calories for a decadent meal or wine. I will eat sad low calorie things all day to indulge later. I go through phases.. I sometimes like high volume, but this time around it's about quality and hitting my protein goal.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Balance of both (another reason I do not like keto - too many high kcal foods). Quality to myself equates to high fat foods with some protein, zero-to some carbohydrates. Mainly just enough quality foods to meet fat intake goals, the rest quantity (25% - 75% split most days in favor of quantity, some days 50%-both when needing to up kcal intake)

Quantity foods: zero fat greek yogurt, lean chicken, lean steak
    Quality foods: full fat cottage cheese, one-oh yeah bars, 2%-full fat greek yogurt
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Quality most days. Most days I don't snack much and I can get by with lower calorie breakfast and lunch so that I can eat whatever I want for dinner or dessert. There are a few days per month, however, where I feel hungry constantly and I choose quantity over quality on those days.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Quantity. I'm not a picky eater and I have a huge appetite.

Some lower-cal things I eat: Lean meats, nonfat Greek yogurt, eggs/egg whites, lots of vegetables, tuna, certain fruits (e.g., berries), thin sliced bread, lowfat cottage cheese, protein bars, etc.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    Both. My food needs to taste good and there is no reason the two should be mutually exclusive. In my case, personally, the "really good stuff" fall on a large spectrum calorically from the very low to the very high.

I handle food differently according to function.

- If I'm hungry, volume becomes my main focus, but you'll never catch me bulking up the volume with foods I don't care for or eating a modified version of something trying to convince myself it's the real thing. For example, I only eat zucchini noodles when I specifically want zucchini noodles. If I want pasta, then pasta is what I'll have, and there are many lower calories pasta variations that I really like.

- If I'm simply eating for the sake of enjoyment, not to satisfy hunger, quality becomes my main focus, but I have the smallest amount that truly satisfies me mentally and not a gram smaller. For example, a scoop of ice cream is enough to satisfy me so I can have that more often if I want to, but a tiny sliver of cheesecake wouldn't do - I need at least 400-500 calories of that to feel mentally satisfied, so I just have that less often.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Quality. I went to cooking school though so I suppose some would call me picky. I'm not outrageously picky though, if food is given to me free I won't turn it down. But if I had the choice between eating a giant bowl of low cal food or eating third a portion of my favorite restaurant meal, I'd pick the nice restaurant meal and feel satisfied all night.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I am a bit of both. I love a range of vegetables which helps so eating huge salads gives me some quality food to go with it. Right now I am eating a 4 servings worth of salad with balsamic vinegar vinegar and some yummy frittata on the side.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2018
    Interesting questions. The volumetrics camp has a large propaganda machinery :D I often cringe when I read stuff like "fill you up", "stave off hunger", "lean protein". I feel satiety in body and mind, not just in stomach. I can't personally live off cake and candy, but as long as what I eat is varied and nutrient dense, I don't shy away from grains and tubers, fatty meat and fish, nuts and seeds, whole milk and full fat cheese, butter and oil. I eat only moderate portions of vegetables and fruit, but several times per day and every day.

I used to be a quantity person, but vegetables wasn't what I craved, so I was overweight.

I feel closest to the quality camp now. To avoid overeating, I choose the treats I like and want most, and savour it, and I don't buy more than I can moderate.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Interesting questions. The volumetrics camp has a large propaganda machinery :D I often cringe when I read stuff like "fill you up", "stave off hunger", "lean protein". I feel satiety in body and mind, not just in stomach. I can't personally live off cake and candy, but as long as what I eat is varied and nutrient dense, I don't shy away from grains and tubers, fatty meat and fish, nuts and seeds, whole milk and full fat cheese, butter and oil. I eat only moderate portions of vegetables and fruit, but several times per day and every day.

I used to be a quantity person, but vegetables wasn't what I craved, so I was overweight.

I feel closest to the quality camp now. To avoid overeating, I choose the treats I like and want most, and savour it, and I don't buy more than I can moderate.

Some people truly do need volume to feel satiety in body and mind, so bulking up on vegetables or eating leaner protein is one way to make weight loss achievable. Imagine yourself eating a single cherry for dinner, that's how I feel if I don't get enough volume in my meals. If I ate only moderate portions of vegetables and fruits I would be constantly hungry, and I mean real gnawing hunger. This one is easy for me, though, because I like fruits and vegetables so eating more of them is something I welcome, not force myself to do.
    I'm grateful you shared how it feels, it was a good description, easy to understand even for someone who feels differently.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Some people truly do need volume to feel satiety in body and mind, so bulking up on vegetables or eating leaner protein is one way to make weight loss achievable. Imagine yourself eating a single cherry for dinner, that's how I feel if I don't get enough volume in my meals. If I ate only moderate portions of vegetables and fruits I would be constantly hungry, and I mean real gnawing hunger. This one is easy for me, though, because I like fruits and vegetables so eating more of them is something I welcome, not force myself to do.
    I'm grateful you shared how it feels, it was a good description, easy to understand even for someone who feels differently.

Doesn't mean I never eat high fat foods, it just means when I do I brace for a larger calorie hit than usual, like my breakfast today.

5wcfey5y7b8o.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    I'm a carb lover and thus eat somewhat bigger volumes. but I'm also a quality lover and cook most of my food from scratch using fresh ingredients - No, I don't do any clean eating stuff. I just love tasty, fresh cooking ingredients.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    I go back and forth - I like to eat popcorn at night because I can eat a bunch of it and satisfy that need to munch I get sometimes. I like hearty at lunch - I find that if it doesn't have a warm element I'm not satisfied, so often I will have coffee or tea with lunch.

Similarly to DomesticKat, I'm at about 70lbs down and am noticing that it takes a lot less to make me feel satisfied than it did before. My husband is freaking out because he thinks I am starving myself but I'm quite content. I also have to say there is something for using salad plates!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I pair moderate amounts of high calorie food like pizza with low calorie high volume food like salad. Helps me turn a 1200 calorie meal into 500-600 cal.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Depends on what I'm eating, but typically going with quality over quantity.

I'd prefer to have a smaller portion of real decadent custard than a larger portion of ice milk.