Full-time desk job, young kid at home - tips for squeezing in exercise?

Options
Hi! I'm starting to get serious about eating better, and getting more exercise. My weight is creeping up, and I have no energy to play with my 6-year-old.

I have a full-time desk job (hours are 8:30 to 4:30), a one-hour commute each way, and not enough money for a gym membership (summer day is EXPENSIVE!). On top of that, I'm dealing with plantar fasciitis in my left foot. The most exercise I get in a day is walking about a quarter mile from where I park my car to the front door of my apartment.

Any tips for fitting in exercise?

Replies

• gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Here's what I've done. I have a 14 year old, so its a little easier for me. But I have a similar job and equally horrible commute.

I wake up way earlier than I used to (5:00 vs 6:30) and do 15 - 30 minutes of yoga or maybe light cardio in my basement. I use the sworkit app or just go to youtube to keep it fresh. I usually have to walk my dogs and I'm now up to running 3 times a day so I do that in the morning too.
    While I'm at work I take an extra long route to the ladies room. I'm in an 4 story building on the 3rd floor. I take the steps down to the first floor, walk to the next set of stairs and go back to my floor and then hit the bathroom. Since I'm working on drinking more water, I do this trip a lot. The stairs were rough at first but I don't even notice it now, I fly up them.

I typically have another dog walk in the evening and do strength training 3 times a week. Sometimes my daughter is doing these things with me, sometimes not. I think at 6 years old, you could maybe fit it in after bed time? It helps that my husband is very supportive and we're pretty good at splitting meals kid activities.

Its not easy, but you have to start somewhere. If you have a plan that you can follow it will probably make it easier to stick with it. I have all the workouts in my google calendar and move them around but try to not delete them.

Good luck
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    i would try to fit in the exercise with your child. go for a walk together. play with them, if you don't have energy then play for only 5 minutes to start with.

get off one station earlier and walk the last bit home/to work. oops you drive, so can you park farther?

go for a walk at lunch.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunch hour. I have lost over 100 pounds with no other exercise. It lifts my mood and reduces my appetite. Another option if you had the money is to buy some free weights to use at home. I bought the weights but haven't started using them yet, lol.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Try to get more walking during your work day. I usually go for at least one walk. A short 5 min walk and/or I drive Downtown and go for a longer (15 min or so) walk at lunch. You can try to find things to do with your child (go for walks, ride bikes etc) or do workout videos at home, or wake up and work out in the morning (I know it’s terrible but once you get used to it it’s not bad at all, it becomes your routine and honestly I even enjoy the “me” time all by myself). I work FT and have two kids so I understand. But I don’t have a commute like yours. for that I am so sorry :( how horrible.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    i work out on my lunch breaks. Often I walk or run outside.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    vote on early - very early morning - before anyone else is up. get it out of the way.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Bike commute.
  • ToMonkey
    ToMonkey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids and 2 grandkids. I was up to 15 stone so I now count calories and since last September I get up Mon-Fri at 6 and exercise to 6:30, then get the kids up. My weight has dropped to just under 12st and my waist has gone from 42" to 32". Its took nearly 12 months but routine has been key.

My kids have activities every evening and at weekends so I have 0 time then. I start work at 8 and am home by 6.

I use T25 or Max 30 video training and also have p90x3 all of which only take up to 30 minutes and you can pick up 2nd hand pretty cheap.

Starting is a real *kitten* and you ache but after 3-4 weeks it fades and gets easier as you go on. Eat properly and the energy levels all come back.

If you put your mind to it you can do it.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have many tips. I have 3 kids, 7, 5 and 1 year old. I work 3 days a week, desk job and have a hour commute as well. I am a certified group fitness instructor. I try to fit in exercise every day.

When I'm at work my part time/desk job I workout on my lunch hour. I am fortunate to have a gym in my work but my two jobs I had previous it didn't have a gym in it. So I would do lunch time walks. I would eat at my desk either before or after the walk. Walk for 45 mins and then change after. Take to work a bag of gym clothes, wipes and deodorant. If you don't have a shower at work just walk so you don't get super sweaty.

You could also get some home workout dvds. I love dvds. I have tons of them even on vhs! Wake up earlier before your 6 year old wakes up and do a video then or let him watch you. While hes eating breakfast you do a workout. Jillian Michaels are great and super cheap and usually just 20 min. There are also videos on you tube that are free. Pop sugar fitness has great ones.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBINFWq52ShSgUFEoynfSwg

A great website for videos is:
    https://www.collagevideo.com/

My coworker who works full time she loves beachbody on demand. Its $8 a month and you get access to all videos.

Or you could also do a dvd after work when you put your 6 year old to bed.

On the weekends make fitness a habit and a priority or do all your workouts on the weekend. I know working is tough and usually the weekends mean grocery shopping, cleaning the house etc. But put yourself first.

My kids know that mommy works out for an hour either when the baby naps in the afternoon or in the morning we take a nice long walk or both! My two older kids ride their bikes and I push the baby in the carriage. most of the time I'm running after them to keep up. We like going to walking paths, the park, or just around our neighborhood.

Most gyms are not super expensive and most health plans reimburse you for the year. Where it gets expensive are the boutique fitness places. But usually a planet fitness, golds gym etc are a low monthly rate. I teach a muscle/tabata class on Tuesday mornings and my kids love to come to the gym daycare there. They have friends they see every week. And after we get to go to a nearby park. Again, we take their bikes and walk/ride first.

Don't think of fitness as an hour long thing you have to do. I say quality over quantity. Make the workout super hard and effective. I love tabata training. you can search some workouts online. Tabata is an HIIT (high intensity interval training) 20 seconds all what you can do with 10 second recovery repeated 8 times. (4 min).

https://www.collagevideo.com/products/cathe-friedrichs-xtrain-tabatacise

https://www.collagevideo.com/products/ace-hiit-series-with-chris-freytag

You also pick up some workout dvds at your local library.

Take walks after dinner. Let the 6 year old ride his bike while you walk.

Lastly, PLAY!!!! run around with your 6 year old, play sports, jump rope, make an obstacle course with sidewalk chalk on the driveway or park https://www.pinterest.com/pin/15833036172206028/?lp=true
    or ride a bike together, run after him/her on their bike, play Wii Fit.

The more you workout the more energy you will have. I promise you.
    More importantly make sure you are not starving yourself. When I was in my 20s I had headaches all the time and was so tired. I'm 43 and feel better than I did before. I feel like I'm 25!! Everyday I make sure I incorporate fitness into my day.

On Sundays I do yoga. My kids now join me sometimes. My 5 year old loves it that she does cosmic kids on you tube. Its a yoga for kids! later we might take a walk too.

From Monday-Thursdays I lift at the gym and do HIIT workouts. These are lunch hour workouts (except on tues I teach a class)

Fridays: I go for a long walks or do my treadmill in my basement. I made a little gym area in my basement. I have a treadmill and some weights. The other half of the basement has a tv where the kids can do the wii while I workout or they play with toys I have down there.

When school is in I take off with the double carriage after my son gets on the bus early in the morning. I run up the hills in my neighborhood.

Saturdays are my fun day to put an old dvd or vhs in. I do this while the baby naps in the afternoon, but you could totally have your 6 year old do something for an hour while you workout.

You don't have to workout every day. I just feel my best when I do. Its more of a therapy for me. keeps me sane with 3 kids LOL. My husband works 24/7 so I'm always with my kids. If you have someone to watch him/her for an hour then do these workouts alone.

best of luck to you! Sorry this is long winded. But as a mom and fitness instructor I'm passionate about this and want to help. You can fit fitness in!

• gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One thing I forgot because we don't have team sports in the summer. But I love to use my daughter's activity time as a workout time. When she was younger and for some reason parents stayed at the field to watch sports practice, I would walk around the fields. Once she got older and parents stopped staying she would give me lip about staying, so I'd do longer walks where embarrassing moms can't be spotted.

Her games are usually at high school stadiums with a good track that I would use before the game started (again - very embarrassing for her). And there's one field with great hills for me to run before her games (less embarrassing, I'm behind the seats).

I put in Dr. Scholl's heel supports in my shoes when I noticed heel pain on my walks, made a world of difference.
  • redheadbaker
    redheadbaker Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody. I think I will start getting up earlier to fit in some exercise, and get it out of the way. I don't take a lunch break at work, so that I can leave at 4:30 (I'm hourly) and get to my son's daycamp before it closes.
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I downloaded Pokemon Go on my phone and take my 5yo and 8yo out with me on walks before dinner
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Don't sleep. Sadly, this is how I fit everything in. I am out of the house 10 hours a day (factoring in my commute) and like most moms, I do 90% of the chores in the house, including almost 100% of the mental load. I work out late at night, sometimes doing Youtube workout videos in my garage. Try to fit in some HIIT videos in the morning. I did a Fitness Blender video last night that was a great workout that burned about 300 calories and it was only 30 minutes long. I love the idea of taking some walks or bike rides with your kids. At this point in the game with your foot issue, you might just have to focus on cutting back the food to lose weight instead of the exercise. Then you can gradually add that in as your son gets older and more independent and your foot heals. Good luck. It's so hard, I get it!

Edit: the above poster's suggestion about doing some activity while your son does sports is a great idea!
  • knotmel
    knotmel Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a baby and a desk job, so things might be a little different, but hopefully this helps. A lot of my tips boil down to (1) get the whole family doing an active thing and (2) trade off kiddo duties with a willing partner.

We started doing family walks every night after dinner this summer. Usually just a liesurely mile.

On the weekends we do a lot of active family things: walks, pool, etc. At the pool, my hisband and I take turns holding the baby and doing a lap.

M/W/F I get up at 5:00 am to run. On those nights I do the evening routine with the baby and put him down while my husband works out.

On Sun/Tu/Th my husband plays with the baby after our walks while I do a bodyweight strength workout. The one I’m doing now takes for freaking ever, so I won’t recommend it to you. But in the past I have used the “Seven Minute” workout app (starting with one round and working up to multiple rounds over time).

I have also worked more activity into my day: parking inconveniently and taking the stairs (my office is on the fourth floor.

Good luck! It’s taken a few months to work up to this level of activity but it is totally worth it becaise I have way more energy than before!
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water, so have frequent walks to the bathroom. :)

When the kids were younger, I would fit in 30 minute workouts by getting up early of after they got into bed. These days, I send them out of the room and do my 30 minute workouts after dinner. (I have Beachbody on Demand for my workouts, but there are free ones on YouTube and there's always workout DVDs at the library.)

I also signed both of them up for karate and realized it would only cost a few extra dollars a month for me to do it with them instead of sitting there playing on my phone during their class. So, we karate 2x a week.

I walk at lunch about 50% of the time. I know that won't work for you now, but maybe it will when summer daycare is over.

Recently, my work allowed anyone who wanted a standing desk to get one. Standing most of the day makes me feel much less sluggish by the end of the day.
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My work schedule is more flexible, but I still struggle with juggling exercise and my five year old. The ten year old is easier to work with since he can keep up if we go to the park and walk/jog the trails. The Little's pace is slower than a snail's butt. Even when he is on a bicycle.

Here's what has been working for me- I walk/jog on a little rebounder while watching tv either early in the morning before the kids wake up. Takes me 30-45minutes usually to get my 3.3 mile goal in, but I don't have to pack the kids up and go anywhere. It cost a whopping $35 a few years ago. I break it up into 10-15 minute intervals if I need to. And my kids love having their turn on it- Little calls it the "jumpoline." 😂

I have a much higher success rate when I get the exercise in first thing in the morning, even though I'm a hard core nightowl.

I love my kids, but there is a part of me that is really looking forward to the days when I can go for a run without having to struggle to get them a sitter (daycare is too expensive for me too).

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Try standing at your desk to step/pace whenever you can.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Do you have a partner that can look after the child early morning? I find I never talk myself out of morning excercise - 5 or 6 am for an hour. It can just be a daily walk but it'll all help.
  • aemmons81
    aemmons81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a 5-year-old, a 2-year-old, an 8-5 desk job, and a 40-minute commute each way, so I can relate. I'm also on very limited activity because of pain/upcoming surgery. I wake up at 4:45a M-F and walk 15 minutes on my treadmill or lift weights to get it done before anyone else wakes up!

I usually go for a short walk at lunch with a co-worker or by myself. If it's too hot outside, we will walk through one of our parking garages. And then I just try to be more active throughout the day. Like someone else said, I drink a LOT of water, so I'm getting up frequently. I try to take the stairs whenever available. If I've been sitting too long, I just get up and walk a lap or will take the stairs down a flight and then walk back up.

I try to be more active with my kids, but sometimes it's hard in the evenings! I also try to be really conscious about food/calorie intake because I know I'm not super active right now with lots of opportunities to offset the calories.