Binge eater

Options
So basically I am reaching out to anyone who has dealt with binge eating issues. I have always been a binge eater since I was a kid. But it never impacted my weight until after I had my 2 kids. I impulsively eat. Half of the time I'm not even hungry. I have lost 24 lbs within the last few months but for the last few weeks I haven't made any progress due to my binge eating issues. The scale even says I have gained back 3 lbs. I work out 4-5 days a week. I know my eating issues are effecting my weight loss progress but sometimes just can't control myself. I was doing so good at first while I was on the keto diet. But then I decided to get off of that diet because It was way to restricted. So I went on WW smart points program and I lost a few lbs on that system but I found I wasn't getting enough food and I didn't like the point system very much. So here I am on mfp in hopes counting calories will really help me see how much I am eating.

Replies

• jenlopez916
    jenlopez916 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m currently on Keto but have issues when my monthly comes around I carb binge. But I noticed I wasn’t losing and stalled on Keto so I started counting calories and it makes a huge difference. Don’t give up , keep track it will keep you accountable
  • alyssialove1
    alyssialove1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments. I think i will get some counseling for it.
  • Jdopko
    Jdopko Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!!! I bing like insanely! I recently hired a personal online nutritionist and trainer! I start next week. I feel like if I actually have a plan written out for me I won’t bing. I am excited to have what I should eat when I should eat!
  • TheRedQueen1981
    TheRedQueen1981 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have/had planned binges. Like a couple of times per week (sometimes more) I’d make a point of stocking up on junk food, putting my favourite tv shows on and just relaxing. This became such a common behaviour that it was no longer just the odd treat but my actual diet. I haven’t done it in a while now but the temptation never goes away.

• mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have/had planned binges. Like a couple of times per week (sometimes more) I’d make a point of stocking up on junk food, putting my favourite tv shows on and just relaxing. This became such a common behaviour that it was no longer just the odd treat but my actual diet. I haven’t done it in a while now but the temptation never goes away.

Bingeing often involves a ritual that has a calming effect. You describe it perfectly.

• TheRedQueen1981
    Options
    Yes, I guess I never looked at it as a ‘calming effect’ before. I suffer from agoraphobia and some days, the stress of having to go out is just too much to handle so I’d plan my alone time, which would be me, alone with tv and food because it’s the only way I found to de -stress. I’m still looking for my alone time but now I’m sitting in my exercise bike most of the evening instead of buying tons of junk. I still feel the urge to buy the junk instead but at the moment I’m feeling strong enough to say no.
  • sue5428
    sue5428 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have a problem of binge eating, mostly on biscuits. Biscuits with tea. I’m of mature age and been addicted all my life.
    Now it’s affecting my weight and health. I know it’s a comforting habit.
    I get stressed a lot and reach for the biscuits and tea. Can’t seem to get out of it. Tried many a time. Never lasts.
  • TheRedQueen1981
    Options
    Oh biscuits and tea are one of my biggest weaknesses also
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    The podcast “HalfSize Me” helped me reframe my mindset a lot, removing the shame and adding in action steps to take. The book “Brain over Binge” have a different perspective, too.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Geneen Roth's book: Women, Food and God (it's not a 'religious' or a 'diet plan' book either if you're wondering...) - imo an insightful read. It really resonated with me many years ago and changed my whole relationship with food.

Hugs to you <3
  • 20GmsOrLss90
    20GmsOrLss90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Recoving Binge eater as well, and new to MFP This problem isnt only time consuming but mentally and financially draining spending hours thinking of food or shopping for instead of putting that effort into sensible day to day responsibilities. I know the feeling. Everyday is a battle with myself and i too am a mom of a little one. The only thing maintaining me is faith and the desire to get healthy for my child. So ive decided to try LC as well. I can very much relate to your post but am not very comfortable posting too much publicly, so if you'd like to correspond message me.
    D
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    Geneen Roth's book: Women, Food and God (it's not a 'religious' or a 'diet plan' book either if you're wondering...) - imo an insightful read. It really resonated with me many years ago and changed my whole relationship with food.

Hugs to you <3

One of my favorites as well. The person who recommended it to me had also made the point that it's not about religion (which it's not, but the title might have otherwise given me pause).
  • FickleFruitBat
    FickleFruitBat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yes, I guess I never looked at it as a ‘calming effect’ before. I suffer from agoraphobia and some days, the stress of having to go out is just too much to handle so I’d plan my alone time, which would be me, alone with tv and food because it’s the only way I found to de -stress. I’m still looking for my alone time but now I’m sitting in my exercise bike most of the evening instead of buying tons of junk. I still feel the urge to buy the junk instead but at the moment I’m feeling strong enough to say no.

Hi Stewart,
    I also deal with agoraphobia and binge eating. Working on overcoming both is NOT easy. But I have found a real sense of peace out walking on the trail. Hardly anyone else is out there at non-peak times. Anyone you do pass is likely to have headphones in or otherwise minding their own business. It feels really empowering to be able to go out, be active, and respond to powerful cravings with calorie - burning instead. By the time I'm finished walking, binging feels less urgent and appealing.

A stationary bike is are great idea. My aunt lost 50lbs+ using hers every day and improving her nutrition. Good luck to you! Every time we say "no" to unhealthy choices, we're saying yes to our goals.