Protein Bar recommendation (no nuts)

Options
lolly2414
lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
edited July 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I'm looking for a good tasting nut-free (peanut and tree nut both because I'm allergic) protein bar for days where I'm struggling to hit my protein goal. Any suggestions? It seems like they can be hard to find and I don't want to spend the money if they're going to taste like cardboard.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Oh Yeah One bars are popular, low calorie for the amount of protein you get (20 grams for about 210 calories depending on the flavor), and have many flavors that don't contain nuts. They do use sunflower seed butter, which hopefully is okay for you since it's not a nut. Ingredient labels are available if you click on each flavor: https://one1brands.com/collections/all

I recommend the birthday cake flavor. You can find it at Trader Joe's if you have one nearby.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I love oh yeah one bars!!! Can you have almond? Their almond bliss is my favorite! And the maple doughnut. I wasn't overly wowed by the birthday cake flavor 🙁
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Taste is subjective - but with that said, I like the Kirkland (Costco) protein bars. They're also very reasonably priced.
  • apullum
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I love oh yeah one bars!!! Can you have almond? Their almond bliss is my favorite! And the maple doughnut. I wasn't overly wowed by the birthday cake flavor 🙁

Fortunately maple doughnut is the other flavor that Trader Joe's carries, so OP can try both if they have a local store :)
  • lolly2414
    Options
    No Trader Joe's in my area yet (we just got the first one in my state less than 2 years ago), but I could stop and get some next time I travel. I'll have to check out the Kirkland ones as well. Thanks everyone!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Make your own. I successfully made these this week and it crams the maximum protein powder without sacrificing taste/texture. It is too decadent to convince random observers that it is good for you but check out the macros for yourself.

https://pin.it/scztabrm6xhzpp

The cake itself is not sweet but the marshmallow toppings make it a mouth holiday.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    lolly2414 wrote: »
    No Trader Joe's in my area yet (we just got the first one in my state less than 2 years ago), but I could stop and get some next time I travel. I'll have to check out the Kirkland ones as well. Thanks everyone!

We don't have a trader joe either (never even heard of that), but publix and target carry the oh yeah one bars 😊
  • apullum
    Options

If you have GNC, they carry a lot of protein bars, though I can't vouch for the price. It's been a long time since I shopped there, but I remember them having brands I couldn't find in grocery stores. Once you find something you like, check Amazon--they often have boxes for significantly less than what you would pay elsewhere. I've subscribed to protein bars and powders on Amazon.
  • apullum
    Options

We don't have a trader joe either (never even heard of that), but publix and target carry the oh yeah one bars 😊

I don't think there are a lot of TJ's in Florida (assuming from your name that that's where you are). I have friends in Orlando and the Naples area who shop there, but it may just be in a few places so far. They tend to be in fairly urban areas.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Quest bar, I love the brownie & chocolate chip cookie dough. Haven't tried the chocolate mint one yet
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    JBApplebee wrote: »
    Quest bar, I love the brownie & chocolate chip cookie dough. Haven't tried the chocolate mint one yet

Try the Kirkland/Costco versions, if you haven't already. I used to buy Quest bars, but I like the Kirkland ones better and they're half the price. I think their Chocolate Brownie and Choc Chip Cookie Dough are much better than Quest's. Their Chocolate Peanut Butter Chunk is really good too.
  • apullum
    Options
    OP asked for bars with no nuts. All of the Quest bars I’ve seen (including all of the ones mentioned above) contain almonds and/or peanuts, though I haven’t seen every flavor. Their website lists ingredients for all the flavors.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Oh Yeah One bars are popular, low calorie for the amount of protein you get (20 grams for about 210 calories depending on the flavor), and have many flavors that don't contain nuts. They do use sunflower seed butter, which hopefully is okay for you since it's not a nut. Ingredient labels are available if you click on each flavor: https://one1brands.com/collections/all

I recommend the birthday cake flavor. You can find it at Trader Joe's if you have one nearby.

Lol, I would have to 2nd the birthday cake flavor...simple, not overly sweet, & good texture (fairly moist/cakey)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Almonds are a tree nut, which the OP is trying to avoid.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Wild Zora or Epic meat bars don't contain nuts. I love WZ Lamb.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    There are a lot of protein bars to choose from and you need some basis,for selection. I choose 1st based on the highest available protein per bar based on the lowest cals/bar and lowest cost per gram. Then I make a final selection based on taste.

This entirely eliminates Quest and similarly priced bars costing as much as $2-3/bar for me unless I can find them on sale. I recently found some Quest Vanilla Caramel and Powerbar Protein Plus bars on sale for just $1/bar which provide 16g P in 170 cals and 20g P in 210 cals repectively. Bought them based on impulse based on these factors after scanning product reviews and it turns out they tasted alright but I'd never pay full price for them.

My "go to" bars are Pure Protein (PP) bars that are sold right along w/Kirkland bars at Costco but the PP bars are cheaper, offer more variety (3 vs 2 flavors) and IMO taste much better. The PP bars provide 20g P in 180-200 cals for about 90 cents per bar and they taste as good or better than any other protein bar I've ever tried. So, I highly recommend PP bars.

BTW, none of these bars have whole nuts in them but some may contain peanut butter. So, you obviously need to read the labels carefully b4 eating any of them if you are allergic to nuts.
  • beverlyweaver73
    beverlyweaver73 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Check out Enjoy Life Foods, they do not contain 14 of the most common food allergies including peanut and tree nuts. I like their products. I have a severe tree nut allergy.
  • lolly2414
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Given that you're allergic to peanuts and tree nuts I second the suggestion of making your own. I suspect that the vast majority of nut-free protein bars are processed in facilities that process peanuts and tree nuts. Quest bars being a good example of this.