Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    SnowDog16 wrote: »
    I love air popped popcorn and add Parmesan cheese to the top. It is like a life saver for me. If adding M&M's, they have to be Almond.

Wait... Almond M&Ms ? Where do you live? I've never saw any almond M&M bags before and I shop for treats often.

Caramel M&Ms would go well with the salty popcorn. Maybe a mix of those with the almond M&Ms.

That does sound good! Love the caramel m&ms!

I don't think any of this is helping the OP with his high-calorie popcorn dilemma, though ;)

Lol, he swore off the stuff, so more for us!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I learned from this site that a paper bag with only popcorn popped in a microwave oven produces a quantity of popcorn which I prefer much more than the oily and salty stuff.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I pop it it in a brown paper bag with no oil. You're making a big deal out of nothing.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My Final Snack Recipe tonight, 199 calories. 1 teaspoon peanut oil (40 cal), 2 tablespoon kernels popped (80 cal), 1/2 fun pack M&M's crushed (8 pieces total) (24 cal), 1/8 cup kraft shredded parmesan cheese (55 cal). A shake of salt on top, and mix. = HEAVEN! (oh, I also added vanilla extract to the peanut oil and kernels before microwaving. Microwaved for 2.5 minutes.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    But how many M&Ms would be considered a healthy portion with how much popcorn?
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I just microwave about 1/3 cup off plain popcorn kernels in a paper bag for about a minute and a half. If I have the calories to spare, I'll melt a tablespoon or so of buttery coconut oil and sprinkle some sea salt on it, and it's super good AND macro-friendly!
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn is dry and chewy to me. My air popper is gathering dust, but I'm going to try the brown paper bag method.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Is that pecan pie or pumpkin spice M&Ms? October is when pumpkin spice creeps into everything like a nutmeg borne virus.

But come to think of it, pumpkin spice popcorn would be amazeballs. (And double checking this post because autocorrect kept trying to replace pumpkin with pimpin, bad Android)

It's pecan pie. I can't say I've eaten enough pecan pie in my life to know how close the flavor comes, but I like em.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    MMAPAGS - I don't consider any desert to be really 'healthy', if it is an indulgent pleasure, and the consensus in MFP is that if you have room in your calorie bank then in my case last night, 8 M&M's was a worthy reward. How are 8 M&M's any different then eating chocolate, cookies, ice cream, or a piece of pie? Plus, at 3 calories per M&M, 24 calories for the sweet tooth is as good as I have ever personally pulled off. So, I look at my snack last night as a reward for a day where I had 13 calorie's left to eat at the end of my snack. Some might consider a salad or a protein shake or a tomato slice as desert, not me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    SnowDog16 wrote: »
    I love air popped popcorn and add Parmesan cheese to the top. It is like a life saver for me. If adding M&M's, they have to be Almond.

Wait... Almond M&Ms ? Where do you live? I've never saw any almond M&M bags before and I shop for treats often.

They will be cheaper if you can get them locally. Try Walmart? But there's always Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Almond-Chocolate-Candy-Sharing-9-3-Ounce/dp/B071DF97FL/ref=sr_1_3_a_it

718tCPzzn2L._SX522_.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    Air popped popcorn is dry and chewy to me. My air popper is gathering dust, but I'm going to try the brown paper bag method.

The paper bag method makes dry and chewy popcorn also. I've tried lower watt microwaves and higher watt ones, even tried to adding some oil. I've never gotten a satisfactory result. Plus lots and lots of seeds don't pop.

My Presto Microwave Popper is wonderful. You might experiment with plate covered bowl.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Also, no "resealing."

Who does that?
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    So much work, lol I buy the Smartfood Delight sea salt popcorn (it comes in a bag already popped). It has just a few ingredients, is low cal and delicious (and not expensive).
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    sprinkle of shredded mozarella, parmesean cheese, black pepper, chives. that's where it's at.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Also, no "resealing."

Who does that?

This is what I can't figure out. Does this have something to do with those "leftovers" people talk about? Just strange.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    LOL Kimny72! Very true.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I love that a thread titled "Popcorn - never again" ended with the OP enjoying a bowl of popcorn with candy and cheese :lol: We truly do important work here.

I find air popped and paper bag popped popcorn has a weird dry texture, so I'll be ordering that silicon bowl next time I'm on Amazon.

I'm not a popcorn aficionado or anything, but I love the texture of the popcorn done in our Hotpop.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I love stovetop popcorn. I use one tablespoon of oil to 3 tablespoons of popcorn kernels. I also like to keep a bag of Skinny Pop in the pantry for when I’m feeling lazy.