What do you do/think about when you feel like giving up?

Options
stfpa
stfpa Posts: 62 Member
edited July 2018 in Getting Started
I often go back and forth between “I want to lose weight so I can look and feel my best self” and “you only live once, I can eat whatever I want”

When I’m in the second mood, I have to think about how eating food has never really impacted me hugely but feeling self conscious on the beach/in tight clothes/in short sleeve shirts definitely affects me daily. I also drink a lot of water and look at old pictures of myself when I was at my ideal weight.

What do you think about or do when you aren’t feeling motivated?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I don't think like that, and I don't focus on motivation. I can (and do) eat whatever I want, I just can't (and don't) eat anything in unlimited amounts. I only have one body, and I want to take care of it, so I eat enough, but not too much, food.

Well said. Sums up what I do.

I eat whatever I most want, within my calorie limit.

I don't wait around for motivation. I just do it.

Logging is a habit that takes only 2-3 minutes a day.

I don't need motivation to check the news, the weather, or my bank balance, and the same goes for my calorie limit.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I look at how little energy I have and that if I don’t get my *kitten* together my illness (AS and RA) is going to consume me and that my lack
    Of energy will be affecting our son.
    I also just want to get back to the skinny hot little me that hubby couldn’t get enough of 🤣
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I've put in lots of work to get where I am, and I'm not going to sabotage that by putting it all back on. That, and I want to be skinny again, and I can see it getting closer.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    When I am confronted with a not - so - healthy food choice I always compare it with my favorites: meat, cheese, smoked salmon, any smoked fish, eggs. And suddenly the problem is gone.
  • jtomm2005
    jtomm2005 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That I don’t want to look like before I began and I don’t want my efforts or time invested to get me where I’m at now wasted even though I’ve a long road ahead to get to where I want and need to be. Hope this helps
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I just keep my eye on the prize so to speak. If I am confronted by surprise donuts at work, for example, Before I grab one I try to stop and think if eating it (or several) will hinder reaching my goal. Sometimes just that pause and doing some thinking can really help.
  • Mazda_Mx5
    Mazda_Mx5 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I can see and feel so much better when I am on track .
    My confidence is better then a cake.
  • breezydan
    breezydan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think about what I have achieved. The years before I decided to refocus my life were not good. I ate out, bar a lot, gained weight from drinking. Screwed up a great career by living the party life too hard. I chose to end that life after the job loss. My body has been physical record to the entire change.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Doing what we've always done will get us what we've always gotten.

Always do your best. Plant now and you'll reap a harvest later. A cash crop.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    I think about....Tom Hardy.

196197_10151233395874131_763437954_n.jpg.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    The pain of discipline is far less than the pain of regret.

Pain is the precursor to change. Take the leap. Bare your soul. Go BIG.
  • elysahan
    elysahan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Think of the one thing, the one reason, that pushed you to start this journey. Train yourself to specifically focus on that throughout a consistent basis and eventually form a habit. It’s definitely tough but you will always be growing as long as you keep to it. And you’re human, don’t ever beat yourself up on this. Discipline and Consistency 💪🏼
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I get off track, it's usually because I get really insecure, and unsure about whether I will succeed, or if I will be able to keep it up for the next 50 years or so. I have used food as a coping mechanism before, and it's really hard to go through life without that crutch. I am not very confident in myself... I don't think I'm strong enough. I have to commit to health every single day of my life.

I do think about that adage, "you only live once", but more in the context that I only have one shot at being a young mom to my kids. I want to go swimming with them, and have the energy to keep up with them. I want to be an example to them.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm working hard to change a past life of bad eating behaviors and replace them with good eating behaviors. It all starts in the mind. Studying mindful eating flashcards helped me a lot. A lot of the way I live had to be permanently changed
  • jlabine6562
    jlabine6562 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    That is how I am feeling right now. I'm making progress and don't want to do something that will push me back. It has been a hard struggle to get this far...
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I was feeling like giving up, been listening to some motivational videos, some hypnosis videos that tell you what we already know but good to listen to,eat healthy foods, love yourself, be kind to yourself and don't overeat. It helps me give up my bad habits.