Calculating TDEE & macros --- whaaaaat?

Options
I tried to calculate my TDEE and got *three different responses* from three different calculators! How in the world is a person supposed to know what is correct?

I input the same metrics into each calculator and set each to the lowest activity level option (I'm not sedentary but I didn't want a calculator assigning a random number to my workouts when it doesn't have any information about my workouts).

Bodybuilding.com (Mifflin-St Jeor) said my TDEE is 1699.
TDEEcalculator.net (Mifflin-St Jeor) said my TDEE is 1853.
IIFYM said my TDEE is 1778.

When I look at macros...

Bodybuilding.com said 234 g carbs / 195 g protein /59-117 g fat for fat loss, and to drop to 1529 calories for fat loss.
TDEEcalculator.net doesn't calculate macros.
IIFYM said 49 g carbs /108 g protein /72 g fat for "reckless" fat loss and to drop to 1249 calories.

These are HUGE differences in macros!

According to my Fitbit, I burn anywhere from 1500-3300 calories per day, most often in the 2100-2300 range. I cannot wear my Fitbit through all of my workouts because I engage in combat sports and the Fitbit isn't allowed so there are days where I have another 600-800ish calories of exercise that is not tracked (possibly more? 2 hours of training, including several rounds of sparring).

Why is this so complicated! I'm a female endomorph type and have an easier time bulking than cutting. Are any of these calculators even remotely correct? What I've been doing hasn't been working so far for fat loss so I was trying to see if I went with a more precision approach it might help, but this is not as straight forward as I would have thought.

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Pick one and adjust after you have some data (using calories and weight measurements over a few weeks). That's the general approach Eric Helms often suggests (for example, in the Muscle and Strength Nutrition Pyramid book) and summarized in this video (near the end).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9dhQUZECk
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You aren't an endomorph - you are just a human like the rest of us.
    (Somatotypes are complete cobblers!)

First decide if you are going to use your FitBit or not.
    Then second it's probably best to realise that all the various estimates are most likely going to be more accurate than your tracking and logging anyway.

All the estimates in the world just give you a starting point to get you going - after that adjust based on actual long term results and you will be fine.
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I tried to calculate my TDEE and got *three different responses* from three different calculators! How in the world is a person supposed to know what is correct?

I input the same metrics into each calculator and set each to the lowest activity level option (I'm not sedentary but I didn't want a calculator assigning a random number to my workouts when it doesn't have any information about my workouts).

Bodybuilding.com (Mifflin-St Jeor) said my TDEE is 1699.
    TDEEcalculator.net (Mifflin-St Jeor) said my TDEE is 1853.
    IIFYM said my TDEE is 1778.

When I look at macros...

Bodybuilding.com said 234 g carbs / 195 g protein /59-117 g fat for fat loss, and to drop to 1529 calories for fat loss.
    TDEEcalculator.net doesn't calculate macros.
    IIFYM said 49 g carbs /108 g protein /72 g fat for "reckless" fat loss and to drop to 1249 calories.

These are HUGE differences in macros!

According to my Fitbit, I burn anywhere from 1500-3300 calories per day, most often in the 2100-2300 range. I cannot wear my Fitbit through all of my workouts because I engage in combat sports and the Fitbit isn't allowed so there are days where I have another 600-800ish calories of exercise that is not tracked (possibly more? 2 hours of training, including several rounds of sparring).

Why is this so complicated! I'm a female endomorph type and have an easier time bulking than cutting. Are any of these calculators even remotely correct? What I've been doing hasn't been working so far for fat loss so I was trying to see if I went with a more precision approach it might help, but this is not as straight forward as I would have thought.

What have you been doing? Do you use a food scale to weigh everything you eat?
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    It's complicated to work with that kind of data because it's not so much about correct or precise, as interpretation and consistency; activity level is difficult to determine, and while food preferences are individual, eating is pleasureable for most people, so it's easy to gain weight and hard to lose weight. But enough of the things that matter are fairly straightforward - if you eat in a calorie deficit for long enough, you lose weight, and somatotype isn't a thing.

Eating 1500 calories a day has only yielded me about 10 pounds of weight loss in 7 months. I'm tired of working my *kitten* off watching what I eat and getting almost nothing for it, so I was looking to see if I could change something.

And since you also believe somatotypes aren't a thing, change my mind! Instead of saying they aren't a thing, how did you reach that conclusion? How do you explain the behaviors/responses that certain bodies seem to have?
  • VelveteenArabian
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Your Fitbit is already calculating your TDEE. You can manually log your combat workouts on there and get the true number you burn.

If I manually log my workouts, MFP is just making a guess at what I'm actually burning. I've already experimented in group fitness classes while wearing the Fitbit and comparing to what MFP automatically calculates and there's usually a pretty big difference, so I'd rather not. I don't eat back the exercise calories anyway so I figure if I don't log it, it's fine.
  • VelveteenArabian
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You aren't an endomorph - you are just a human like the rest of us.
    (Somatotypes are complete cobblers!)

First decide if you are going to use your FitBit or not.
    Then second it's probably best to realise that all the various estimates are most likely going to be more accurate than your tracking and logging anyway.

All the estimates in the world just give you a starting point to get you going - after that adjust based on actual long term results and you will be fine.

I'm going to ask you the same thing - why don't you believe somatotypes are a thing and how do you explain the tendencies towards certain behaviors/responses that bodies tend to do?

I usually wear my FitBit, just not during training. My long term results (if 7 months can be considered long term) of making dietary changes haven't yielded much, which is why I am looking to change it up :) I'm tired of being the fat girl in my training sessions.

• VelveteenArabian
    Options
    Kim_S_G wrote: »

I've cut out 99.9% of fast food (I've had less than 5 fast food meals in 7 months), don't eat boxed meals, drink tons of water, and workout pretty hard on top of having a very physical job. I've been doing intermittent fasting and doing 1-2 meals a day, with smaller meals and way more activity than prior. I'm not weighing/measuring everything, but my diet is not very varied most of the time. I'm eating at least 500 calories per day less than I was before based on what I'm no longer consuming, and am working out more frequently and at higher intensities than before.

• VelveteenArabian
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just pick one, and follow it for 4-6 weeks, then adjust based on your actual results. (If you get weak or fatigued (or have other bad symptoms) during that trial time, eat a bit more, otherwise stick with it.) That process is how you find out what's right.

I was trying the MFP suggestion and lasted about 2 weeks because I felt terrible. It recommended high carb, mod-low protein and mod-low fat. It made me feel like a ham to have all those carbs. I went to a more carnivore diet and feel way better!
    Since you're looking at TDEE calculators, I'm wondering why you're not including the exercise facor? Incorporating that, and eating constant calories daily, is kind of the point of the TDEE approach to weight loss. If you're not going to include exercise in your daily base, why not just keep things simple, and get a NEAT estimate from MFP that has your weight loss deficit built into it, eat to that level, log exercise, and eat the exercise? (Not fueling exercise in some way would be a mistake for someone who burns 600-800 calories per session, if that's an accurate estimate.) You shouldn't try to lose more than 1% of your body weight per week, less if within 25-50 pounds of goal weight, to avoid health risks, unless morbidly obese or under close medical supervision.

I've only lost 10 pounds in 7 months :( I didn't include the exercise factor since it's so easy to underestimate exercise and overestimate calories it seemed better to just not eat that deficit back. 600-800 calories is an estimate based on the few times I've been able to wear the Fitbit during training sessions. If it matters, I'm doing 1 hour of Muay Thai followed immediately by 1 hour of Krav Maga, three times per week. I'm also sparring in both classes. Additionally on other days I'll do something like Zumba or BodyCombat. My job is also physical (I work with horses) and outdoors so I have a lot of sustained bodyweight exercises as part of my job.
    The calorie counting process really is a fun personal science-fair project that lets you accomplish your weight goals in a straightforward way: Get an estimate, make measurements, track results, adjust based on results, track again, etc.

I haven't found the fun part yet :( It's just been frustrating since I don't know how to adjust when I'm getting very little in terms of results.
    As far as macros, it's likely that bodybuilding.com is giving you a protein recommendation on the very high side, unnecessarily high IMO for people who are not already quite lean and hitting weights hard and consistently. They probably think you should get 1+ grams of protein daily for each pound of current weight. You don't need extra protein to maintain your fat mass; it's only needed to maintain lean tissue. So, if one is overweight, estimates based on current weight tend to be unnecessarily high. Ideally, therefore, you base it on your lean body mass, but most of us don't know our lean body mass with any accuracy (the scales that "measure" it are very inaccurate). Estimating the requirement based on a healthy goal weight is kind of a practical compromise.

Extra protein, within reason, won't hurt a healthy person, but it makes things more difficult logistically for some, unless they love the protein foods a lot. ("Within reason" means a level that lets you still get other necessary nutrition - fats, veggies/fruits - within your calorie goal.)

There's a lot of "discussion" around here about how much protein is necessary, and you'll see figures as low as 0.4g/pound of bodyweight, to 1.2 or even 1.5g/pound. It's like arguing about religion! ;)

Personally, I targeted 0.6-0.8g per pound of goal weight (roughly equivalent to 0.8-1g per pound LBM) all through weight loss, while active, trying to hit the upper end of that as often as possible on reduced calories (while vegetarian ;) ). Now, in maintenance, I target 100g daily (slightly over goal), and exceed it when possible. (For context, I'm 5/5", active, female, 62 years old, and currently weigh in the low 130s, which is about 10 pounds over my actual goal weight, to which I'm trying to very slowly reduce again. I also find protein satiating.)

I like 0.35-0.45g fat per pound of goal weight, and you see recommendations in that general region a lot around here, sometimes toward the lower end for men and the upper for women, but close. I try to get a fair amount of it from sources like olive oil, nuts, seeds, avocados, etc.

Both protein and fats are essential nutrients. Everyone sane agrees that if you want to be healthy, you need to eat some.

Carbs are different. Nutritionally, strictly speaking, you don't need any: Your body will make them (or make up for them) out of other nutrients. Under some circumstances, some people find low carb or even ketogenic eating helpful. This includes various medical conditions like epilepsy, T2 diabetes, insulin resistance, and probably some others I'm forgetting. Other people, including some without medical conditions, find that low-carb eating helps them avoid cravings and feel more satiated. On the flip side, some people find that unless they eat a certain higher level of carbs, their energy level suffers, or they can't feel satiated. So, bottom line, carb level is a matter of personal preference, unless you have a medical condition that makes it potentially helpful.

THere's a good thread around here somewhere about setting macro goals. Sadly, I never can find it when I want it. I hope someone else will post it.

Best wishes!

The nutrition is going to be kind of a hot topic but I am not a fruit/veggie person. I'm mostly carnivore. Mostly, because I do have days where I cheat and have a slice of pizza, because honestly, sometimes I just want some freaking pizza! When I moved to a more protein-based diet, I felt way better and one of the most amazing flavors in the world is that of freshly grilled meat. Mmmmm! I do often go days without eating any carbs at all, but I do find that when I do eat carbs, I am more hungry, feel bloated, and mentally feel the carbs calling me. With their siren song. When I buckle down and stick to mostly meat, eggs, and cheese, I have less cravings, I want less food.

Thank you for the information, it's been helpful!
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Kim_S_G wrote: »

I've cut out 99.9% of fast food (I've had less than 5 fast food meals in 7 months), don't eat boxed meals, drink tons of water, and workout pretty hard on top of having a very physical job. I've been doing intermittent fasting and doing 1-2 meals a day, with smaller meals and way more activity than prior. I'm not weighing/measuring everything, but my diet is not very varied most of the time. I'm eating at least 500 calories per day less than I was before based on what I'm no longer consuming, and am working out more frequently and at higher intensities than before.

I am a little confused by this statement. Are you logging everything you eat into MFP?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,562 Member
    Options
    BTW, I also believe somatotypes are not a thing, but didn't say so, so I'll answer that part of the query anyway.

I do agree that bodies have tendencies towards certain behaviors/responses, but I don't believe they cluster into 3 tidy little types, and I think their basis is a combination of genetics, nuture, habits, and culture (among other things, probably). (I used to be soft and round like an endomorph (though somewhat muscular underneath in recent years), now I'm thinner with narrow hips like an ectomorph, but triangular overall like a mesomorph; I have the introverted/analytic/solitary tendencies associated with ectomorphs, the domineering/aggressive tendencies of a mesomorph, and the hedonic tendencies of an endomorph.)

The basic body types and tendencies don't mix and match the way the theory suggests, even ignoring the woo-woo psychology. I'm short-ish (5'5"), but broad shouldered with huge arms and hands (size 10 ring finger even when BMI 20), but narrow hips. I'm strong and build muscle fairly easily for my demographic. I spent most of my adult life at an obese BMI, but have a "fast metabolism" (can eat more than calculators estimate - fast metabolism isn't really a thing, either). So, yes, people have tendencies, but there aren't 3 basic combinations.

Apparently there's a variant (Heath-Carter formula) that's still used descriptively in some anthropological contexts, but the theory as a whole has been pretty thoroughly debunked. If you look at its history, it genesis was more subjective than scientific. It's more a means of stereotyping than a helpful way to characterize individuals.

I think that self-understanding of one's tendencies and traits is helpful, but that somatotypes are unhelpful reductionism. Just my opinion.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with just using MFP?

Being an endomorph isn't a thing, by the way.

MFP recommends 50% (150g) carb, 30% fat (30g), and 60g (20%) protein. Not sustainable for me. It makes me feel bloated and sluggish, plus it doesn't work for weight loss. I do best with higher protein.

So if endomorph isn't a thing, change my mind :) Why do you believe somatotypes are not a thing and how do you explain the physical behaviors some bodies seem predisposed to do?

Physical behaviours some people are predisposed to, you mean?