Coconut Oil... Does it work?

Options
2»

Replies

• cathylovestim
    Options
    I've just started using it to help with digestion and do count the 2 tablespoons I use daily in my calorie intake. I use Nutiva organic extra virgin. Also, it's a lot less expensive, as are other supplements, if you order through iherb.com. : )
  • Rajrand
    Rajrand Posts: 13
    Options
    Coconut oil for decades has taken a bad rap for its saturated fat content. Now, i am not a doctor but what i read made sense to me and we have been using coconut oil in our cooking for last few years and my physicals at my doctors show all my measurements of cholesterol are not any higher in these years of using coconut oil.
    We use extra virgin coconut oil which has sweet aroma to it and the food usually tastes sweeter. One thing to note is that most all oil when heated are transformed due to their lower smoking point. Anything that gets modified from its natural state, the human body has difficulty utilizing and what the body does not utilize gets stored as fat. So, all saturated fats are not evil such as avocado, coconut. Coconut oild has higher smoking point making it ideal for cooking. New York Times had interesting article when it compared various brands of olive oil and the consensus they reached was once the oil was as heated it lost all its nutrient value and thus higher cost olive oil was no different from cheaper oilve oil
    Saturated fats are have two types of hydrocarbon chains. Long chain and medium chainCoconut oil is medium chain saturated fat which means that the hydrogen chain that holds its molecular structure. MCF are easily broken down during digestion and utilized by the body
  • cathylovestim
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for that educational post Rajrand! : )
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Macadamia Nut oil is a better choice IMO.

For cooking, sure, but for overall health benefits? No frikkin way.
    Really? Here's the profiles:

Fat Composition of Various Oils and Solid Fats

Percentages in bold indicate that a particular fat
    component (monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, or saturated)
    is either the highest or lowest among all edible oils and solid fats.
    All percentages have been rounded to the nearest whole number.

Type of Fat Monounsaturated Polyunsaturated Saturated

Coconut Oil 6% - Lowest 2% - Lowest (tie) 92% - Highest

Macadamia Nut Oil 83% - Highest 3% 14%