What's the deal with the sodium?

Options
So I did't really messed with MFP's default macro setup yet, but everyday it says I should eat 2000 mg of sodium. Which I never reach, mostly eat around 100-200. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    2000 is the upper limit in this case, where it's recommended to stay below that amount. However, 100-200 seems awfully low as well - you do need some sodium, and the lower limit (for an average person) I've seen is about 500mg a day. Are your food entries accurate? If they are, you might consider adding more sodium to your diet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    Calildur wrote: »
    So I did't really messed with MFP's default macro setup yet, but everyday it says I should eat 2000 mg of sodium. Which I never reach, mostly eat around 100-200. Am I doing something wrong?

Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're really only eating 100-200 mg of sodium (I can't imagine how that would be possible) then that is dangerously low. Sodium is an essential macro nutrient...but like I said, I can't imagine you're eating that low...I would think it to be pretty much impossible.
  • Calildur
    Calildur Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's entirely possible that the foods I log have sodium just it doesn't show under macronutrients. Silly me. Anyhow I don't particulary eat healthy meanig my biggest concern is calorie so I usually doesn't try to perfectly align the macros, but the sodium level was unreasonably low.
  • kayak4water
    kayak4water Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you "don't particulary eat healthy" and still the sodium doesn't make it. Most foods in the MFP database very reliably report sodium. If you mean your diet isn't very balanced, because you're eating a huge amount of fruits and veggies with oil and vinegar as dressing, you might be ingesting low amounts of sodium.
    But if you eat any fast food, like a burger with fries, you'll record at least 1,000 mg of sodium.
  • Calildur
    Options
    I mean by that I don't watch my macros. So I eat some processed stuff, but I never eat out, I make my meals and eat a lot of veggies and fruits. Like I eat a lot of bananas and constantly get over my sugar requirements. I do use some oil (not olive, because it's expensive) and sometimes I eat rice and pasta. I eat a lot of cheese thats my only guilty pleasure. It's not uncommon to find the food I make in the database with the calories only and no macros, so it can easily be more sodium. Also I use a lot of spices, but no salt.
  • Calildur
    Options
    because it's not the low calorie kind of cheese I like :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Calildur wrote: »
    because it's not the low calorie kind of cheese I like :)

just because a food is high in calories doesn't make it 'bad'.
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you're eating cheese, you're eating sodium.