Carnivore Diet: The Antithesis to Veganism

Options
ScorpioL1GHT
ScorpioL1GHT Posts: 15 Member
edited July 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I always enjoy researching different diets, but the Carnivore Diet in particular stands out to me the most. Maybe because of the menu...

The Carnivore diet is the polar opposite of Veganism and includes meat, seafood, and poultry, but can include other animal products such as eggs and dairy. Many adherents suggest you do not need plants foods to thrive and can even maximize your health through this way of eating by increasing fat and protein consumption and reducing carb intake very close to 0. There are growing communities dedicated to carnivorous eating such as Zero Carb Zen, World Carnivore Tribe, etc.

I don't believe there have been any long-term studies done on a group of people eating a purely animal-based diet. Could this eating lifestyle really be the answer for people? I do believe in individualized nutrition and disagree that one diet works for everyone.

As for my opinion, I am definitely interested in perhaps attempting this way of eating because I always loved eating meat when I was younger and felt more satiated, energized, and healthy every meal it was included. I can't say I ever really craved plant foods such as fruits or vegetables so giving them up wouldn't be the end of the world for me (never had much of a sweet tooth either). I would like to hear anyone's honest opinion on the Carnivore Diet and I am curious if you are interested in trying out this lifestyle!

So...will Carnivore become the new Vegan??? :smile:

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Going carnivore is a pretty big bounce from your last idea of going fruitarian. Carnivore would be marginally safer than fruitarian, but it would still require you to carefully plan your diet to get certain micronutrients in sufficient amounts. It will also tend to be more expensive if you don't get larger primal cuts or whole carcass meats.

I'm not sure why extreme edge case diets appeal to you, but you should research them very carefully and perhaps consult a registered dietician before embarking on one.

OP could try fatarian. Is that actually a word?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    It is genetic thing. Thank heavens our son does not have it.

I had the opposite problem. Menopause cured it. Lol
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Regarding what qualifies as a rare disease: in the US less than 200,000 individuals at any given time, in the EU an incidence of 1 in 2000. By both measures a disease with a 1 in 200 incidence is not rare.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_cuisine

Food sources
    Hunted meats:
    Sea mammals such as walrus, seal, and whale. Whale meat generally comes from the narwhal, beluga whale and the bowhead whale. The latter is able to feed an entire community for nearly a year from its meat, blubber, and skin. Inuit hunters most often hunt juvenile whales which, compared to adults, are safer to hunt and have tastier skin. Ringed seal and bearded seal are the most important aspect of an Inuit diet and is often the largest part of an Inuit hunter's diet.[1]
    Land mammals such as caribou, polar bear, and muskox
    Birds and their eggs
    Saltwater and freshwater fish including sculpin, Arctic cod, Arctic char, capelin and lake trout.
    While it is not possible to cultivate native plants for food in the Arctic, Inuit have traditionally gathered those that are naturally available,[1][2][3][4][5][6][7] including:
    Berries including crowberry and cloudberry
    Herbaceous plants such as grasses and fireweed
    Tubers and stems including mousefood, roots of various tundra plants which are cached by voles in underground burrows.
    Roots such as tuberous spring beauty and sweet vetch
    Seaweed