What's the keto diet good for?

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Not trying to be a smart butt here or anything , I'm actually curious. So I googled "keto diet" to try to find out what it was, I'd never heard of it before. And it said on Wikipedia (granted I realize wiki is not the best source of information) it was a diet designed for "epileptic children". So why are all these people doing keto? Do they have seizures or a health problem? What are the benefits? Why in the world did it catch on?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet
Thanks!

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    Options
    Since you are already googling, you could probably read a few other links, but Keto is not new. The human body is designed to produce Ketones for fuel, it's just that medically it has been found to be an effective diet for certain brain disorders, like epilepsy. It's also been found to be a very satiating diet for many making it easier to create a calorie deficit.

If you want a personal experience, I'll give you mine.

I started out Morbidly Obese and diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome. I also have/had severe GERD and Erosive Esophogitis, and a Dairy and Gluten Intolerance. I started out following a Low Carb Diet which was easy when I eliminated dairy and gluten. I noticed that I physically felt better. Keto was just a natural progression for me, because in addition to feeling better on a low carb diet, I realized that fat was satiating for me and helped me to create a calorie deficit, plus, my GERD symptoms were better. Once going full Keto, my GERD symptoms completely resolved. My blood glucose numbers normalized, my blood pressure normalized, and my Cholesterol numbers got better (they were never that bad though). Keto for me is a lifestyle. I never realized how sick I felt all the time, until I didn't. This isn't just about weight loss for me, though the 60+ pounds I've lost is awesome, it's about improving my overall health, so I tend to eat a lot more whole foods than I ever did when I was eating a SAD. People can woo me all you want, but this is a lifestyle for me and something that I plan to follow for the rest of my life. Maybe not always Keto, but definitely a low carb whole foods diet.

Thanks for the explanation! So I've also heard of the Atkins diet, is it pretty much the same thing then? And I'm curious too how your cholesterol went down, wouldn't it go up if you're eating mostly meats for your protein? Or do you eat mostly vegetarian? I'm also curious do those carbs you eliminate include veggies?
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    It's pretty similar to Atkins.
  • FL_Hiker
    edited July 2018
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Since you are already googling, you could probably read a few other links, but Keto is not new. The human body is designed to produce Ketones for fuel, it's just that medically it has been found to be an effective diet for certain brain disorders, like epilepsy. It's also been found to be a very satiating diet for many making it easier to create a calorie deficit.

If you want a personal experience, I'll give you mine.

I started out Morbidly Obese and diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome. I also have/had severe GERD and Erosive Esophogitis, and a Dairy and Gluten Intolerance. I started out following a Low Carb Diet which was easy when I eliminated dairy and gluten. I noticed that I physically felt better. Keto was just a natural progression for me, because in addition to feeling better on a low carb diet, I realized that fat was satiating for me and helped me to create a calorie deficit, plus, my GERD symptoms were better. Once going full Keto, my GERD symptoms completely resolved. My blood glucose numbers normalized, my blood pressure normalized, and my Cholesterol numbers got better (they were never that bad though). Keto for me is a lifestyle. I never realized how sick I felt all the time, until I didn't. This isn't just about weight loss for me, though the 60+ pounds I've lost is awesome, it's about improving my overall health, so I tend to eat a lot more whole foods than I ever did when I was eating a SAD. People can woo me all you want, but this is a lifestyle for me and something that I plan to follow for the rest of my life. Maybe not always Keto, but definitely a low carb whole foods diet.

Thanks for the explanation! So I've also heard of the Atkins diet, is it pretty much the same thing then? And I'm curious too how your cholesterol went down, wouldn't it go up if you're eating mostly meats for your protein? Or do you eat mostly vegetarian? I'm also curious do those carbs you eliminate include veggies?

Cholesterol usually goes down with significant weight loss regardless of the foods eaten. Also, if triglycerides are the main reason someone has cholesterol, reducing carbs lowers them even without weight loss. Keto also helps regulate blood sugar if someone is insulin resistant (although most wouldn't need to go all the way down to keto levels for that).

As for the diet itself, it's just trendy now like Atkins was at some point. The difference between keto and Atkins is that Atkins increases carbs gradually, keto stays in what Atkins calls "the induction phase". Some people experience less hunger when they eat that way, but it hasn't been my experience (I felt more hungry). I also didn't need to go keto to eat nutritious foods.

How that may be useful for you: do you have insulin resistance? Do you feel hungry often and would like to see if keto can help you with that? Do you like the foods you can eat on keto? Can you imagine your life without the foods that keto severely restricts? If the answer is yes to some or all of these questions, trying it may be worth it. If you don't feel it could be sustainable and you're doing just fine on your current diet, then you're not missing out on much, in fact, you're gaining many good things by going for a diet you find enjoyable and sustainable.

Thanks for explaining that, makes more sense now! No i'm not interested in keto, I love my carbs lol. My balanced diet with just watching CICO has been sufficient for my weight loss, I only have 5lbs or so to go so i'm not really looking for a diet anyways. I was just wondering what it was!
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    You've gotten some great explanations above. Particularly the 2 above my post. In a meta analysis of 35 studies that controlled for calories and protein, keto showed no metabolic advantage or disadvantage. Despite some of the ridiculous claims of its proponents.

The advantages of curbing hunger for some, increasing satiety for some and eating in a prefered way for some are all legitimate. It can also be a useful tool for lower blood glucose but lower carbs and/or increasing exercise and losing weight will to the same thing. It can be a useful strategy for insulin resistance.

In an otherwise healthy person, it all comes down too calorie restriction and prefered way of eating for performance and satiety. Keto works for some, not for others. It's restrictive nature can be a real obstacle for many people based on the feedback I see posted here as well as my own personal experience.

Could you please post a link to that study? Just today, I found discussion about keto among my family on Facebook. I think that info would be helpful for them.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Kim_S_G wrote: »
    You've gotten some great explanations above. Particularly the 2 above my post. In a meta analysis of 35 studies that controlled for calories and protein, keto showed no metabolic advantage or disadvantage. Despite some of the ridiculous claims of its proponents.

The advantages of curbing hunger for some, increasing satiety for some and eating in a prefered way for some are all legitimate. It can also be a useful tool for lower blood glucose but lower carbs and/or increasing exercise and losing weight will to the same thing. It can be a useful strategy for insulin resistance.

In an otherwise healthy person, it all comes down too calorie restriction and prefered way of eating for performance and satiety. Keto works for some, not for others. It's restrictive nature can be a real obstacle for many people based on the feedback I see posted here as well as my own personal experience.

Could you please post a link to that study? Just today, I found discussion about keto among my family on Facebook. I think that info would be helpful for them.

I will a little later when I'm back at my computer.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    epilepsy
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Kim_S_G wrote: »

I will a little later when I'm back at my computer.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5568065/

Here it is. Meta analyses like these that have good controls and are broad based are generally considered definitive in the scientific community.