Will taking breaks from the dieting stop the excess skin in obese people?

Options
My goal was to lose 90 pounds. I have been overweight for about 11 years. I have lost 47 so far (since January 2018) and am starting to see a bit of loose skin. I am 58 yr old female who is still very active. Would love opinions or articles that would support or refute claims regarding this. I am happy with my diet and doing well. I am just wondering if I should stop dieting for a specified period of time and let my skin "catch up" to the progress, ( or snap back) before I continue my weight loss journey. Thoughts?

Replies

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    It's probably just flabs and not loose skin, which is normal and you can get regardless if you lost 100 pounds or you gain 20 without ever being obese.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If anything you keep going. Have you tried lifting or resistance training? It may help the appearance of loose skin.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,850 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info AnnPT77. It is good to be reminded that I am a work in progress and not quite finished yet. I'm sure this lump of clay will turn into a piece of art sooner or later :p All the given information by all of you supporters is appreciated very much!
  • ChelleTrell
    ChelleTrell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on hitting the half way point to your goal!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I believe that the slower your rate of weigh loss, the more time your skin has time to adjust to the loss and the less likely there will be excess loose skin. Of course, genetics and age probably have something to do w/this as well.

The "problem" is that when we decide to lose weight and take action to do so, we all want to lose it FAST, as in RIGHT NOW, like they do on the The Biggest Loser.

Apart for the difficulty of sustaining a weight loss achieved in that way, your skin doesn't have time to adjust to the loss and you're left w/a lot of excess skin that, in the extreme, has to be removed surgically.

For those of us who do not lose so much weight that skin surgery is required, only time and weight maintenance will allow the skin to contract.

In my case, I lost 36# in 6 months and had a lot of unslightly belly skin. Over the next 18 months, I lost an additional 7# while "in maintenance" (which was obviously still deficit diet, but a very minor one) during which time almost all of my loose belly skin "disappeared."

You do the math. It usually takes years to gain the weight and for your skin to expand. So, it makes sense that the opposite would also apply.
  • keelybird57
    keelybird57 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Massage the skin. Or dry brush. Increase the blood to your skin. It is the last organ to receive nutrients. Nutrients via circulation will keep it healthy and rejuvenated. I am 61 and do both massage and dry brushing daily.
  • deepwoodslady
    Options
    Thanks for the shout out ChelleTrell. Thanks to all for yet more very very useful information. I love learning from all you nice folks on MFP !
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    All of this. I’m 53, down 90# and I have true wrinkly loose skin on my top stomach, arms (above elbow) and small pools above my knees. My thighs and bottom stomach both have fat in the skin dragging it down. I’ve been maintaining for about a year and have seem marginal improvement. I’m self-concious in a bikini, but you’d never know in clothes.

Assuming you are losing at a reasonable pace to start with, I’d strongly suggest you keep the momentum and hit your goal. It’s truly not worth fretting about it until you get there.
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My dermatologist says that rate of weight loss has nothing to do with the amount of loose skin you'll get.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have several family members who have lost significant amounts of weight. My 90 y.o. dad lost 145 lbs after being very ill in his 80s. He has the thin wrinkles Ann describes but they aren’t very noticeable and seem to have become less so over time. I thought his Irish skin would not shrink, but I was wrong. I wouldn’t take a diet break—it won’t be long enough to make a difference, IMHO, unless you give it a few years. Just keep going and know that time will make a difference. Congrats on your success too.
  • iamajunkaccount
    iamajunkaccount Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fat cells remain fat cells. They won’t go away even if you exercise. They can shrink pretty good. An athlete’s quad is pockmarked with tiny white dots of fat. If you were super fat for decades it’ll prolly take super long for it to bounce back. There’s no literature aside from surgery to hasten the process. Since no one has a better idea, I’m learning yoga and diaphragm breathing
  • deepwoodslady
    Options
    More great information! I shall keep marching forward in my battle with weight. Thanks for all the info!