Salad ideas....? I'm getting bored!

Options
13»

Replies

• brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I suggest just trying to toss different types of salad to find what one is less boring than others. Mix it up here and there.

Maybe add some mint jelly too!

I always found that tossed salad always tastes better when you drink with hot tea...make sure you leave the tea bag in the cup...not just for the first few minutes...I find that alternating between the tossed salad and the tea (bag) is an almost devine experience!

The dressing makes a difference too. You can go thick and creamy or you can go thin.

You know this combo can be so good, your toes curl and you sometimes reach for things that aren't there...sometimes you curse uncontrollably...not sure why...

That's one amazingly tossed salad.
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try fresh lettuce and veggies from a local farmers market. The flavor is sooooo good. I love in my salad: spinach, red or green leaf lettuce, spring mix, cherry tomoatoes, peas, sugar snap peas, grilled chicken, cubed tofu, cucumbers, herbs (parsley, basil, dill), broccoli, red and yellow peppers, mushrooms. capers...not all at once, necessarily!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Balsamic glaze is a great salad dressing, and has no fat.

I love grilled halloumi and pomegranate on salad leaves.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above!! I can't remember if anyone mentioned adding craisins..... but be careful they're high in sugar = calories. But adding everything listed above would be a good step in the less boring direction!:bigsmile:
  • optimusmom
    optimusmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love salads! You can get quite adventurous with them by using different types of lettuce and spinach, trail mix, fruit, dried coconut, meat, alfalfa sprouts, assorted veggies, beans and homemade dressings and vinaigrettes :)
    Happy munching :)
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like to buy broccoli slaw. Its made from broccoli and carrot shreds, so its crunchy. You can try different dressings on it to see what you like. think I've tried it before with an asian dressing, and probably ranch. I think just the change in texture is nice.

I also like the berry salad that Wendy's has, I think last time I ordered it without the grilled chicken. Discovered that Marzetti's, who makes the dressing for Wendy's, now has a dressing available in the fridg section (by the salads), its called Pomegranate Simply Dressed. Really good stuff, and not too high in calories. You can check on line to see what others they have and where you can get them. Hope this helps.
  • wendi0719
    wendi0719 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I usually use spinach in the bag. As for toppings i put tomatoes, cucumbers, green, yellow, red peppers, onions, carrots and sometimes boiled eggs and cheese on it. If i do use cheese i use pepperjack. I also change up my salad dressing so i wont get bored. I have found many new dressings that i didnt realize i liked. I stay away from the heavy dressings though and have found since switching i dont care for them. My favorite is red wine vinergarette.
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Salad #1
    Spinach & Red leaf lettuce (more spinach than lettuce 2:1 ratio)
    Tomato
    Bell pepper
    Hard boiled egg
    Uncured Turkey Bacon
    Sprouts
    Avocado
    Almond Slivers
    Onion
    Salad Deressing: Use only enough to wet your salad (to your taste)
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    Juice from 2 large Lemons
    Tbls mustard
    Couple of drops/squirts of your favorite hot sauce

Salad #2
    Spinach
    Walnuts
    Turkey Bacon
    Bell Pepper
    Onion
    Salad Dressing:
    (2-3) Tbls Extra virgin olive oil
    (1-2) Tbls Balsamic Vinegar (A good one, Kirkland brand is excellent)

If you are counting callories, back off on the nuts; they are higher in calories and have more omega 6. Olive oil and Avocado are super healthy fats and something you don't want to skimp on as much as you do the nuts.

That all sounds good except the eggs! I do NOT like boiled eggs. LoL. But I loooove turkey bacon!
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    I suggest just trying to toss different types of salad to find what one is less boring than others. Mix it up here and there.

I always found that tossed salad always tastes better when you drink with hot tea...make sure you leave the tea bag in the cup...not just for the first few minutes...I find that alternating between the tossed salad and the tea (bag) is an almost devine experience!

The dressing makes a difference too. You can go thick and creamy or you can go thin.
  • JenMarie8781
    Options

You know this combo can be so good, your toes curl and you sometimes reach for things that aren't there...sometimes you curse uncontrollably...not sure why...

That's one amazingly tossed salad.

Umm.... are we still talking about salad here? LOL
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    bump