Going Keto from from Monday. Anyone want to join me?

Options
yurita87
yurita87 Posts: 18 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all.
I have decided I am going Keto starting on Monday. I have around 40 lbs to lose. I have been preparing for it, reading a lot, planning my shopping, etc...

Replies

• yurita87
    Options
    good luck, I hope it goes well for you. I'm 4 weeks in and starting to see some benefits now. Make sure you stock up on salt or electrolyte supplements in preparation for "keto flu"
    Any electrolytes recommendation?

• onemanpeloton
    onemanpeloton Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    yurita87 wrote: »
    good luck, I hope it goes well for you. I'm 4 weeks in and starting to see some benefits now. Make sure you stock up on salt or electrolyte supplements in preparation for "keto flu"
    Any electrolytes recommendation?

I couldn't confidently give you any solid advice on which one to choose sadly. I wasnt prepared for the flu and it hit me hard! I took 7 days off work (and in bed). I now use SIS Go Hydro tabs daily as I use them for my cycling anyway, but I can't be certain that they're the best choice
  • onemanpeloton
    Options
    I used perfectketo.com for a lot of advice. Try there for more specific help :smile:
  • yurita87
    Options
    I used perfectketo.com for a lot of advice. Try there for more specific help :smile:

Thanks!
    I know Keto is trendy nd whatever now but ages ago I did Atkins and I remember feeling a bit dizzy but nothing more than that.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Basically I used to eat very low carb back home but that changed after I got married which us why i put all the weight on.
  • New2ket0
    New2ket0 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Ive just started feel free to add me
  • New2ket0
    New2ket0 Posts: 345 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    JFahm123 wrote: »
    I’ve been on keto for around 2-3 weeks now, one of the biggest things that helped me was drinking BONE broth, chicken bone broth tastes better than beef bone broth in my opinion

I’ve seen that a lot , it’s sold as tuns if us t it? What is it?
  • onemanpeloton
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'm one of the people who finds their appetite is reduced, and cravings are lower, when I cut carbs. It makes weight loss easier for people like me.

As one who absolutely supports others doing keto, while not doing it myself - if there is "magic" to it, this part is it. Of course it's not really magic, it's a personal preference suitable for some and not others.

I never lost cravings when going into ketosis, so it's not magic for everyone. For those that this applies, keto is great.

I tend to echo a lot of the caution that posters here say when it's important to know what you're getting into - especially with the sheer volume of new posters (and likely lurkers) who are looking for a quick fix. Keto is not that if done right, but many grab onto it like it is.

I totally agree. Satiety is a revelation to me (5 weeks in to ketogenic diet) and to many others who've shared their experiences.

Caution is definitely advised but not too much caution. At some point you have to stop reading all the articles and speculation and just give it a try for yourself!

Playing devil's advocate for a minute, sometimes it seems to be the case that people with bad experiences of a diet didnt implement it sufficiently, or for long enough, for changes and improvements to be developed. How long did you try ketosis for and what were your ketone levels like?

Re: The bolded. Sometimes that is true and other times it's just not the right diet for that person. There is not inherent metabolic advantage to keto as the research definitively shows.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5568065/
    TL/DNR version: Meta-analysis of 35 broad based studies controlled for protein and calories. Conclusion: keto is not better, or no worse than any other diet.

That being said, there are some situations for which that keto is very helpful. I think the most broadly applicable one is that some recent research indicates that keto and low carb diets may help to blunt hunger signalling and help prevent cravings. Also, IR seems to improve and it can help with elevated blood glucose.

For some, possibly many, keto is too restrictive. That is true for me. I eat low carb, between 100 and 150gr per day. That's seems to be low enough to control hunger signalling and cravings while giving me plenty of dietary flexibility. It has worked to the tune of 33 lbs lost and within 5 lbs or so of my goal weight. I believe that is why calorie counting and flexible dieting works for many people.

Damn, I hate it when a paper doesn't have a summary at the end. It makes skim reading a lot harder :smile:

It would be interesting to know more about the variability between people and what it is that causes the diet to not suit them. It would also be interesting to find out how many people "try" it and dont implement it properly.

I totally understand the dietary flexibility issue. Congrats on your achievements, thats awesome!

What about your time in ketosis? How long did you try it for and what were your ketone levels like?
  • onemanpeloton
    Options
    I'll have to take some more time to read that paper before commenting.

One benefit I've found from ketosis, which has been scientifically proven (I'll dig out the paper(s) ) is an increased amount of time I can spend exercising before "hitting the wall". In other words, using fat as a fuel when cycling has allowed me to ride longer without the need for carbs and without the risk of running out of energy.

I'm not sure whether you class that as a metabolic advantage or not but it must be somewhere close