Planet Fitness?

Do you like it? Is it really a judgement free zone? I'm thinking about joining, but am nervous. I've never been a part of a gym before. I've done as much research as I can on it, and it's certainly the cheapest option around my town even with the $40 annual fee. Thoughts?

Replies

• JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Aw just go for it. And the the black card so you can take advantage of the hydromassage. Totally worth the little bit extra per month!
  • hookahbinx
    hookahbinx Posts: 74 Member
    I love it. Very judgement free.
  • hookahbinx
    hookahbinx Posts: 74 Member
    Get black card for massages.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    If it's month-to-month, I say go for it. You can always cancel if you don't like it. Be wary of getting locked into a long-term contract if you are new to gyms. Also check the website for deals if you haven't already. There are many different types of people at commercial gyms who are all trying to achieve their respective goals. Once you get in there and develop a structured routine, the more at ease you will feel.
  • spellmannn
    spellmannn Posts: 5 Member
    It's not the best gym I've been to, but for how affordable it is compared to other gyms in my area I like it a lot. It has everything I need. A significant portion of the gym is cardio. A big complaint people have (besides the lunk alarm) has to do with them not having heavier weights, but if you're not going specifically for that, it's a good place to start.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I've never had a problem at any gym, planet fitness or others. If it has everything you want, and is cheapest, it's great. I use my school's gym as it's free for me (well, sorta, tuition had gym fees incorporated).
  • LoPotion
    LoPotion Posts: 25 Member
    I loved it there. I had the black card so I could work out at any of their locations (I had a lengthy commute to work, so I often used the gym over there while I waited out rush-hour traffic). I could also bring a guest with me, for an unlimited amount of times. I only stopped going once I met my husband and he put me on his YMCA plan. Membership was easy to terminate - no hassle at all.

Go for it! :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    As long as you're quiet when you lift. Make any noise, and they'll blast an alarm, bringing the attention of anyone on the premises on you. I forget what they call it, but the concept has always annoyed me. I know it's aimed at getting the super-irritating guys who make excessive noise to settle down, but, sheesh, anyone could accidentally drop their weights. No need to publicly humiliate them for an accident.

OMG I didn't know that! That's insane. How embarrassing. I just googled it and it's totally real. It's called the "Lunk Alarm". Sometimes it's hard not to make a noise.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    I've gone to my local one for about a month. I do have the black card membership. I like it, comparatively, to some of the small gyms I've been to. The atmosphere is welcoming, it's clean!, and there is plenty of equipment. I don't like that they have bagels on Tuesdays, pizza on Fridays, and tootsie rolls every day. For someone who struggles with binge/ over eating it's distracting. But other than that I'm really enjoying it.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    As long as you're quiet when you lift. Make any noise, and they'll blast an alarm, bringing the attention of anyone on the premises on you. I forget what they call it, but the concept has always annoyed me. I know it's aimed at getting the super-irritating guys who make excessive noise to settle down, but, sheesh, anyone could accidentally drop their weights. No need to publicly humiliate them for an accident.

Is this something you have actually experienced in person at a Planet Fitness to which you belong or are you just going on internet reports about the Lunk Alarm?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    Do you like it? Is it really a judgement free zone? I'm thinking about joining, but am nervous. I've never been a part of a gym before. I've done as much research as I can on it, and it's certainly the cheapest option around my town even with the $40 annual fee. Thoughts?

I think the most important thing for people new to any gym is to sign up for a few sessions with a personal trainer. This will help you feel more comfortable in the facility, and with your form and a routine.

Planet Fitness is not an option for my coworker, who uses 120# plus dumbbells, but is a fine option for you.
  • Chewbac7777
    Chewbac7777 Posts: 238 Member
    I would say go for it i have been going there for over a year love it
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Our Planet Fitness was nice enough and was probably fine for me getting started, but it was VERY busy. My stepson goes there and he said it's almost always that busy, except in late evenings. It made me feel claustrophobic. The gym where I ended up getting my membership is a local one, but very large, with a wide variety of classes and equipment. It's super diverse too, as they are a Silver Sneakers facility. We've got people big time into lifting and elderly that pretty much just walk the track and everything in between. Even now that I do a lot of my stuff in the free weights section, I never feel any judgment.

PF is likely perfectly fine for you. Use their day pass and try it out. But don't be scared of other gyms either. Many are also judgment-free places where you can do quite well.
  • exhilen
    exhilen Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2018
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Is this something you have actually experienced in person at a Planet Fitness to which you belong or are you just going on internet reports about the Lunk Alarm?

The Planet Fitness I belonged to did have their lunk alarm on, but no one really cared. Typically it went off if someone dropped weights. Can’t say I’ve ever seen it over grunting.

OP, if you’re just looking for your run of the mill gym, PF will suit your needs. One thing I do commend them on is their cleanliness and how quickly they fix broken machines. However, if you plan on doing lifts like deadlifts or squats, I suggest looking elsewhere because most only have a Smith machine.

The free weights are also very limited, but again, this only matters if that is the direction you want to go.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I like the judgement free zone. My problem is the place it's self. Can't grunt, drop weights, bench press, ect. I also have a problem with the whole set up nutritionally. I know they are there to make $$, but free bagels and pizza? a juice bar? these companies know many people get ravenous after a workout, especially steady state cardio.