Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited July 2018
    Orphia wrote: »
    When scrolling on Facebook and you see something or someone that always annoys you, let it go and just Unfollow them.

I call it "FAKEbook instead of FACEbook" because "c" can sometime sound like a "k". ;)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited July 2018
    peggym4640 wrote: »
    I did a very large purge over July 4th and ended up processing some old emotional baggage as well as the physical. It lasted about 10 days and I'm better for having processed both. I went through my workout stuff yesterday which I never give up. Very happy to say I did let some go. In a few weeks, I'll start on the paper. There's no room for the new with the old taking up so much space. Well done, everyone and thanks for the tips.

Wow, I REALLY appreciate your post so much. Something about you using/experiencing the term "process/processing" send a kinda joy/delight/understanding/light bulb moment to/for me. How ultra cool of you to "purge" your heart/mind/life/surroundings of a lot of excess/unnecessary/nice but I won't use it/space devouring/extra/old/it's time to let it GO "stuff"--that's just powerful. To "process" the old baggage, instead of just pretending/ignoring/down-playing it is the stuff wise champions are truly made of or at the very least, learn and do. Thank you ever so much for contributing to this thread--you ROCK, period.

• snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    edited July 2018
    I'm cleaning our loft and found a lot of kids duct tape, art supplies, and paints. So, I looked up online where to donate arts and crafts things, and it turns out there are a lot of places. Some of the most noticeable ones are to rape crisis shelters and Domestic Violence shelters but also art therapy places.

I also scheduled a donation pick up from Vietnam Veterans website. And it was as easy as entering my address online. I'm making great progress de-cluttering.

What kind of donations does the Vietnam Veterans website take/need?
    I need some of your ambition!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,157 Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    I'm cleaning our loft and found a lot of kids duct tape, art supplies, and paints. So, I looked up online where to donate arts and crafts things, and it turns out there are a lot of places. Some of the most noticeable ones are to rape crisis shelters and Domestic Violence shelters but also art therapy places.

I also scheduled a donation pick up from Vietnam Veterans website. And it was as easy as entering my address online. I'm making great progress de-cluttering.

What kind of donations does the Vietnam Veterans website take/need?
    I need some of your ambition!

I am on Summer break so I have the time. I also have been purposely avoiding shopping because I don't need one more item in my life. So cleaning is a great alternative. VV take clothing especially - I'm giving them some books too, sheets and towels. On their site, they state what they need.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,719 Member
    Somehow I ended up being the designated Keeper of Memories. When my great uncle died, I was given all his photo albums. When both sets of grandparents died, and my mom downsized, I got the boxes of generations of photos. Then my mother in law insisted I accept a box of loose unorganized pictures of my husband’s entire life. Ugh!! I don’t scrapbook, but I have over time made some photo albums for myself and thrown away boxes of pictures. There were dozens of duplicates and scores of pictures of people nobody in the family could even identify! There were so many pictures of landscapes that were taken on other people’s vacations . None of these had dates on them. Now I’m left with just one storage tub, and have room finally for my own things in my sewing room closet. Such a huge relief!!

I have inherited all of this from 2 set of grandparents, 2 sets of Great Grandparents, 1 Great Uncle and my parents. It is such a daunting task! I did the same with a lot of pictures, I have more to go. I got rid of the old parades, landscapes, horse and tractor pulls but I'm having such a hard time with the old people that I don't even know who they are!
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Somehow I ended up being the designated Keeper of Memories. When my great uncle died, I was given all his photo albums. When both sets of grandparents died, and my mom downsized, I got the boxes of generations of photos. Then my mother in law insisted I accept a box of loose unorganized pictures of my husband’s entire life. Ugh!! I don’t scrapbook, but I have over time made some photo albums for myself and thrown away boxes of pictures. There were dozens of duplicates and scores of pictures of people nobody in the family could even identify! There were so many pictures of landscapes that were taken on other people’s vacations . None of these had dates on them. Now I’m left with just one storage tub, and have room finally for my own things in my sewing room closet. Such a huge relief!!

I have inherited all of this from 2 set of grandparents, 2 sets of Great Grandparents, 1 Great Uncle and my parents. It is such a daunting task! I did the same with a lot of pictures, I have more to go. I got rid of the old parades, landscapes, horse and tractor pulls but I'm having such a hard time with the old people that I don't even know who they are!

Some local museums/historical sites like old photos, might be worth looking into.
  • Snowflake1968

Some local museums/historical sites like old photos, might be worth looking into.

That's a good idea - thank you.
  • Snowflake1968
    Decluttered my clothing in all the drawers and closet of bedroom. Made a mountain of donations. This morning, I woke up, and I opened all the drawers to admire them. Everything was folded neatly and in order. I'll keep going ... not to part of the basement.

I did the same thing in April. Now i keep a garbage bag in my laundry basket. When I fold something I don't like, or doesn't fit, it goes in the bag. When the bag is full, time to donate. Helps me stay on top of it. :)

I have been doing that for a couple of years it makes a big difference!
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member

Your town newspapers and libraries and historical societies may want the pictures for their archives. They may even be able to identify people or occasions.
    CJ
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!