Self Talk -Taking the good with the bad

Options
Yogirunner68
Yogirunner68 Posts: 58 Member
I have this on going dialogue in my head. Telling myself that it took three years to put this 20 lbs on, I should not expect it to fall off in X amount of weeks. Then I tell myself if I hunker down, it is doable BUT if things are too restrictive, I'll pack it in......again, only to start again a few months the down the road. How do you get around or through to your inner voice?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    setting mini goals might help. Small goals that are closer. Helps you stay focused and feel some pride/acomplishment along the way.

What are you finding too restrictive?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    By focusing on behavior instead of self talk? ;)

With only 20 pounds to lose, and - presumably - a desire to keep that 20 pounds off permanently, I'd suggest thinking about gradually changing your habits: What changes you can make in your eating (and movement) habits to be eating/moving in a way that results in a long-term equilibrium within your desired weight range?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I say to that voice - "mom will you please stop talking" and if that does not work say "mom go wait in the car for me please"
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    setting mini goals might help.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    By focusing on behavior instead of self talk? ;)

Some good advice here. I think a lot of people make the error of going into weight loss like it's an event. It's not an event, it doesn't have a start or an end. It's a matter of getting healthy whether that takes a few months or a few years.

I get that we have events in our lives that we'd like to be able to fit into a certain dress or look a certain way, but under no circumstances should life events dictate your overall health. I would like to hit a certain point by the beginning of November so I will be more confident through the holidays, but I'm wholly unwilling to deprive myself or do anything that will eventually break my spirit just so I can reach that goal. If I reach it, great. If I don't, I bet I'll be a lot closer to it than I am today, and I'll have the strength, will, and discipline to carry on until I reach and surpass it.

• Yogirunner68
    Yogirunner68 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks to those who responded. I appreciate your insight.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I say to that voice - "mom will you please stop talking" and if that does not work say "mom go wait in the car for me please"

I thought about this...and how it effecting me raising my own kids. I wanted to be different w my kids so I did not hen peck them or bring up all the bad things that could happen and surprisingly they thought of all that themselves and would voice those thoughts to me=- grateful that because of my choices I got to be the voice of reason - encouragement - gratitude and comfort to both of my daughters. I think it made a big difference in how they are as adults.

• gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I thought about this...and how it effecting me raising my own kids. I wanted to be different w my kids so I did not hen peck them or bring up all the bad things that could happen and surprisingly they thought of all that themselves and would voice those thoughts to me=- grateful that because of my choices I got to be the voice of reason - encouragement - gratitude and comfort.

This for sure, but also how we talk to ourselves. My daughter has never heard me say anything bad about my body, even when I was for sure hating how I looked. I remember thinking my own mother was so beautiful, but all I ever heard was her complaining about her body. And then I pretty much got that same body and was trained to hate it.
  • KingHurlbutt
    KingHurlbutt Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has worked for me is just "doing things". I have to prove myself wrong. The voice is still there sometimes, but fitness is science. The body is a machine and does not care about what we think. What you do or don't do will make all of the difference wether you like it or not.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Dieting is short-sighted. It's promises quick and rapid weight loss. Another round of 10 more days X 50, just give me one more food reset and I promise not to throw this one away. You have to Shawshank it and break free from the food prison of dieting.

Start contemplating the big picture for the rest of your life. Make your overall health and wellbeing a priority. That takes focus and daily effort but there's no such thing as the Finish Line.

Set yourself free from the food prison of weight loss challenges and dropping it like it's hot for a specific event. That messes with your head and actually adds more stress. The actual percentages of those who can maintain a weight loss by dieting are low at the 5 year mark. Most have rebounded, regained the original weight loss with additional 'friends'. The root cause is dieting, dieting, dieting.

Stop dieting. Full Stop. Give yourself permission to eat the foods you enjoy and find movement that you can do for the rest of your life. Not just through the temporary bandaid and temporary fix of dieting. If it's not sustainable now or you actually loathe it...it won't last waaaay down the road either. The brain will rebel.

For weight loss to stick and be maintained, the old methods of dieting will no longer serve you. Shawshank it. Set yourself really free. Forget about dieting. Track your food. Pay as you go. We can moderate ourselves and food choices.