How to forgive myself?

Options
I feel a lot of guilt around food, I eat healthy but 1 bad food item and I binge and cant stop myself. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you learn to eat in moderation? I feel so guilty after I binge which makes me want to eat more! Its a horrible cycle.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to deal with the bingeing in the first instance?

Food isn't good or bad, it's just food.

Have you thought about getting some professional help with it?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Stop the idea that you need to forgive yourself, and work on the guilt. Food is not a moral issue, unless you've stolen it from a hungry child, or something.
  • William54321
    William54321 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Yep agree with others here, no food is bad just the proportions. Dont have a guilt trip just learn to balance portion size
  • jdubois5351
    jdubois5351 Posts: 460 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Oh yeah, I guess most of us have been there. What really helps me is logging it, funny as it may seem. It makes it more real and lays it down as it is. Then I look at the fact that I would have to eat 3500 calories over my maintenance goal in the course of a week to gain one pound of fat. That's easier said than done, when you're not stuffing yourself with junk every day.

What I'm meaning to say - you gotta look at the big picture, treat this whole thing as a marathon, not a 100 m race. One bad day is not worth feeling guilty about; in the long run, it really doesn't matter one bit. And even if you have a bad week - all it does is set you back a week, nothing more, nothing less. There's not need to give up because of one slip-up. And because of that, there's really no need to feel guilty. Enjoy the feast, then get back on track.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Stop assigning moral judgments to food. Good or Bad. Naughty or Nice. Clean or Dirty. All or Nothing.

Have you talked with someone, face-to-face. This can really help you, to remove yourself out of this loop with food.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Would you light your car on fire if you got a flat tire? So, you are 1 so called "bad" thing, then lit yourself on fire. What is healthy anyways? It's all in who you ask. Maybe try not being so ridgid in your thinking. Give yourself some enjoyment. I don't eat a lot of calorie dense/ hyperpalitable food, but if I just have to have some icecream, I will. As long as you balance it out through the day, week, month...... you will most likely be ok. Lock the matches up! One edit. Look into a weekly calorie bank. If you are able. Allows you to cycle calories a little. I would not recommend going to far in debt or the week, but if you have a day where you did not consume as much, bank it for later.
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yes I've struggled with this and I'm consciously trying to stop putting myself down if I make "bad" choices, by first dropping the "good" or "bad" labels on food. What I find to be the most helpful in reducing my guilt is I ask myself if one of my friends were eating what I was eating, would I judge them for it? Almost always the answer is no. Rarely do I truly binge in the actual meaning of the word, but I would call it a binge because I ate something "bad". I've since learned that if I choose to have 1 serving of ice cream or a piece of cake at a birthday party that it's not bad or binging, it's learning to eat in moderation. I only recently realized that moderation is certainly possible, and in my experience more achievable than total abstinence.
  • Ktmom19
    Ktmom19 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have also struggled with this. Such good advice from others. I think it helps to realize it is not an all or nothing situation. Sometimes it is making healthy choices one day at a time, but sometimes it is one bite at a time. Let's say you eat something that is calorie dense and fattening. You did not make the best choice, but do not allow that one bad choice to turn into a day. When I was struggling with this my husband gave me an analogy that stuck with me. If you accidentally dropped your cell phone and got a small crack on it, would you throw it on the ground and stomp on it? One small "bad" choice doesn't have to spiral out of control. Sometimes easier said than done though.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @jguldi11 All or Nothing is the biggest self-deception when it comes to finding stability with weight for the rest of your life. It creates a food prison. You either do this perfectly or go down the rabbit hole. This lie, All or Nothing is the root cause of a lifetime of self-sabotage.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone speak that out over themselves. I'm all or nothing - that's learned behavior and it usually starts as a child in the home environment. All or Nothing is exaggerated thinking and it will hold you back from actually making the breakthrough needed to get free from binge or thrill eating.

All or Nothing. Extremes beget more extremes.
  • FickleFruitBat
    FickleFruitBat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Dealing with feelings around food is usually bigger than just the food. Be compassionate to yourself through journaling or talking to a trusted friend (professionals are also great for this - I have seen a counselor and nutritionist with great success.)