My Father Won't Stop Commenting On My Weight

Options
witchgalraye
witchgalraye Posts: 32 Member
edited July 2018 in Motivation and Support
I wrote a little about this on my personal profile but every time it happens to me, it feels like I've been set backwards in time in how I think about myself. I thought I would ask for help.

Essentially, my father won't stop commenting on my body's weight gain over the past couple years. First off, it comes from a good place, I know that, but it's becoming ... mentally disheartening and overall hurtful. I've actually gained weight almost to spite him at times which blows my mind. I'm only 19 years old, so maybe it's that rebellious teenager within me that also makes me feel weird losing weight because it's what he wants. I want to do it for me, but his comments are so frequent and hurtful in their wording that my head is so jumbled and confused by who I'm really losing weight for.

I want it to be for me. I want to feel good in my body, but do I think being thinner will make me feel good or am I just trying to shut up my father?

Whenever I try a new diet he always says it's the wrong one and tries to be my dietitian even though when I've done what he's wanted I've gained weight (despite his methods making him lose weight). I fear getting excited about this eating plan I'm currently on because I know hell guilt me out of doing it because it's not his way. I don't do unhealthy diets. I do research before I try something new. I've even seen a dietitian and he's told me what she requested I do was wrong.

Yes, we've had multiple interventions. He won't change. So I'm left to having a mental battle with myself and was wondering if anyone had any tips for easing this. I'll be happy when I can move out, that's all I can say right now.

Replies

• witchgalraye
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    So, uhhh, when will you be able to move out and get a place of your own?

I honeslty have no clue, I don't make enough money at my job and my parents pay for my schooling so I'm basically under their control until I'm put of college which won't be for a while.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you want to lose?
  • dani_lopera
    dani_lopera Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that happened to me when i was a bit younger and I eventually lost weight. Not for them... for myself. Because i wanted to be healthier. I wish I would've had the courage to confront my family for insulting me so much. I hope you don't get sucked in like i did and you can tell your dad that you're happy with how you look and you don't need his hurtful comments.
  • witchgalraye
    Options
    How much weight do you want to lose?

About 40 pounds. If I find myself getting too thin though I may pull it back to 30.
  • witchgalraye
    Options
    Honestly, that happened to me when i was a bit younger and I eventually lost weight. Not for them... for myself. Because i wanted to be healthier. I wish I would've had the courage to confront my family for insulting me so much. I hope you don't get sucked in like i did and you can tell your dad that you're happy with how you look and you don't need his hurtful comments.

Thank you so much. I'm sorry this happened to you too, but know you've helped me today to feel a bit better about the future. 💖
  • witchgalraye
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Okay so I was going to say talk to him..but as interventions haven't worked then I would say stop talking to him.
    Stop telling him your diets, stop telling him your work outs and the foods you eat (obviously he will see you eat) but just smile and say don't worry I've already worked it out.

He can't comment on what you're doing if he doesn't know what you're doing exactly. And even if he does half the time it will be irrelevant.

I know it would be nice, for support, and to share your journey with someone but in terms of your weight loss journey, that's not your dad. Maybe he's good at talking about other stuff but it sounds like this is not one of them. Even if he does mean well.

Dont get confused, or sidetrackdd by him. At this point you have a choice. Listen to what he says and be in a constant confusion of who you're doing it for, or ignore him, take your own advice and take control, when you take control you're doing it for yourself.
    You ARE doing this for yourself y the way if you analyse what you've said in your post;
    you don't want the negative comments, you want to do it YOUR way, you've come here to ask for advice on how to do it yourself and get rid of his input, even going as far to consider moving out just so you can do it YOUR way. so it is for you, you tried his way, it didn't work. Oh well. So try it your way this time. But don't tell him. And one day you'll be where YOU want to be and you will have got there without his help!
    And then, then you can share what youve done and achieved and share it with him

It doesn't have to be tense or have any bad feelings, but it's just a dad wanting the best for his daughter but just going the wrong way about it, and unfortunately, it's having the opposite affect, that's just where you need to step in and just out him at arms length whilst you do this!
    You don't have to shut him out of your life, just your weight loss journey until you feel you can involve him without it impacting your journey

Does that help? Bit long winded sorry haha

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!!! Your words really hit home in a good way. 💖
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Starting weight? And your height?
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,079 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Okay so I was going to say talk to him..but as interventions haven't worked then I would say stop talking to him.
    Stop telling him your diets, stop telling him your work outs and the foods you eat (obviously he will see you eat) but just smile and say don't worry I've already worked it out.

He can't comment on what you're doing if he doesn't know what you're doing exactly. And even if he does half the time it will be irrelevant.

I know it would be nice, for support, and to share your journey with someone but in terms of your weight loss journey, that's not your dad. Maybe he's good at talking about other stuff but it sounds like this is not one of them. Even if he does mean well.

Dont get confused, or sidetrackdd by him. At this point you have a choice. Listen to what he says and be in a constant confusion of who you're doing it for, or ignore him, take your own advice and take control, when you take control you're doing it for yourself.
    You ARE doing this for yourself y the way if you analyse what you've said in your post;
    you don't want the negative comments, you want to do it YOUR way, you've come here to ask for advice on how to do it yourself and get rid of his input, even going as far to consider moving out just so you can do it YOUR way. so it is for you, you tried his way, it didn't work. Oh well. So try it your way this time. But don't tell him. And one day you'll be where YOU want to be and you will have got there without his help!
    And then, then you can share what youve done and achieved and share it with him

It doesn't have to be tense or have any bad feelings, but it's just a dad wanting the best for his daughter but just going the wrong way about it, and unfortunately, it's having the opposite affect, that's just where you need to step in and just out him at arms length whilst you do this!
    You don't have to shut him out of your life, just your weight loss journey until you feel you can involve him without it impacting your journey

Does that help? Bit long winded sorry haha

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!!! Your words really hit home in a good way. 💖

Haha its okay, I used to tell people lots of things, I was an over sharer. But I found the more I said the more could be used against me, if I said I was going to do something but then didn't and then they'd use that against me
    I had a business idea once, my SIL started up a business with the same basic idea as she had the funds to start up.
    That's when I stopped sharing. Atleast to the wrong people!

I have a new business idea and I've not told anyone about it haha
    And I won't until I've actually done it!
    I don't tell my dad what I'm doing until I've done it. Because I think he shares what I say as a proud dad moment but then it messes it up for me in the long run or someone else nicks the idea haha

I used to also tell me dad about his weight too. But he doesn't listen. He uses MFP occasionally but can't stick to it. I've thrown everything I know at him and I don't bother now. He doesn't want to listen and I'm not going to force him lol it's his body so he can what he pleased!
    If he wants motivation he can watch me get my own butt into shape lol!
  • witchgalraye
    Options
    alloyd815 wrote: »
    So sad... he could be your biggest cheerleader. I was always over weight and my dad harped on me ALL THE TIME. His “diet or plan” for me was, just don’t hardly eat anything. I eventually lost 30 pounds and was so excited that I made the mistake of telling him and he said, “we’ll see if you keep it up!” I did keep it up and lost 115. I did it for me. I never said anything else to him about my weight. I celebrated each pound I lost without him.

Although it’s hard, you have to learn to drown him out and celebrate your success with those who support you. Surround yourself with people who will be “louder” and more positive than he is!

Good luck to you!

I could totally see and have heard my dad say these things before. Thank you for sharing! It really does help! 💖
  • witchgalraye
    Options
    Starting weight? And your height?

187 for the starting weight and I'm 5'6" :smile:
  • New2ket0
    New2ket0 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You could just agree with everything he says and do what you are happy with 😉

Soon enough you will learn men like to think they know everything and they are right.
    Truth is they’re only right because we let them think that 😉
    then you can use that to wrap them around your finger, my girls have their dad and grandad wrapped around their wee fingers. Don’t let your inner rebellious teenager take over , it won’t work.
    Your a woman and you can be strong minded just use it wisely to forge your own path in life 👍
  • RockinOilyMomma
    RockinOilyMomma Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have had to get very assertive with my own father that certain topics are no longer up for discussion with him. If some day I want his opinion or advice then Iwill find him, otherwise, I don’t want to hear it.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I agree with share NOTHING and be happy go lucky and change the subject of food!
  • williamwj2017
    williamwj2017 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I dont mean this literally because they're you're family after all but sometimes you just need to say:

SCREW WHAT THEY THINK. Listen, when you feel down because they made a comment about your appearance, you're giving them control and stopping yourself from going after what you want. Dont beat yourself up, if anything, use it as motivation to push you. What they think doesnt matter, only what you think of yourself matters, just saying. Just brush it off and do what you got to do.