Options

Replies

• BethanyLynnFitness
    BethanyLynnFitness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Without knowing your stats (age, weight, height) it's hard to give an opinion. If your TDEE is actually 3000 calories and you're only eating 1600, then you should be losing 2.2 pounds per week. That's only an appropriate rate of loss for someone obese. How much are you actually losing?

If you're using MFP's numbers then you need to be adding in exercise calories as you do them on top of that.

I would also question using a HrM for weight lifting or non-steady state cardio as it will give you inflated calorie burns. It's a tool not designed for those exercises.

edited for clarity
    My TTDE isn’t 3000, that’s how much calories a day I burn from my Fitbit for the whole day. I usually go from 1500-3,000 and it depends on how active I am as in working. My age is 28 I’ll be 29 next Tuesday and I’m 5”3 and I’m 148lbs

That is your TDEE....

I just used a calculator and it’s 2036 from IIFYM

So what do you think fitbit is measuring exactly?
    Without knowing your stats (age, weight, height) it's hard to give an opinion. If your TDEE is actually 3000 calories and you're only eating 1600, then you should be losing 2.2 pounds per week. That's only an appropriate rate of loss for someone obese. How much are you actually losing?

If you're using MFP's numbers then you need to be adding in exercise calories as you do them on top of that.

I would also question using a HrM for weight lifting or non-steady state cardio as it will give you inflated calorie burns. It's a tool not designed for those exercises.

edited for clarity
    My TTDE isn’t 3000, that’s how much calories a day I burn from my Fitbit for the whole day. I usually go from 1500-3,000 and it depends on how active I am as in working. My age is 28 I’ll be 29 next Tuesday and I’m 5”3 and I’m 148lbs

That is your TDEE....

Idk, I’m just on IIFYM and that’s what I got for my TDEE and it was at 2036. I work out 5 days a week.

Calculators give you estimates for TDEE, not truths. Your actual average weight loss plus meticulously logged intake, calculated over 4-6 weeks, is a much more accurate indication of TDEE

Thank you for that, how do I actually calculate that?? Add up all my weigh ins divide or times it by 7? What do I do next?? Divide or times my food intake?

1. Take your (meticulously logged/estimated) intake for 4-6 weeks (total). Note that.

2. Take your total weight loss, in pounds, for the same time period.

3. Multiply #2 by 3500 (which is the approximate number of calories in a pound).

4. Add #1 and #3.

5. Divide by the number of weeks,

6. Divide by 7 (days in a week). That's your estimated TDEE, based on experience.

Take maybe 20% off that to lose weight, or manage your weight loss rate to stay at no more than 1% of current body weight per week - less if you're within about 35-50 pounds of goal . . . if you prefer staying strong, energetic and healthy ( just playing the odds).

That's it.

Welcome others checking my arithmetic! :-)

When your talking about logged are you meaning calories eaten or my calorie burned?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

Idk, I’m just on IIFYM and that’s what I got for my TDEE and it was at 2036. I work out 5 days a week.

Calculators give you estimates for TDEE, not truths. Your actual average weight loss plus meticulously logged intake, calculated over 4-6 weeks, is a much more accurate indication of TDEE

Thank you for that, how do I actually calculate that?? Add up all my weigh ins divide or times it by 7? What do I do next?? Divide or times my food intake?

1. Take your (meticulously logged/estimated) intake for 4-6 weeks (total). Note that.

3. Multiply #2 by 3500 (which is the approximate number of calories in a pound).

4. Add #1 and #3.

6. Divide by 7 (days in a week). That's your estimated TDEE, based on experience.

Take maybe 20% off that to lose weight, or manage your weight loss rate to stay at no more than 1% of current body weight per week - less if you're within about 35-50 pounds of goal . . . if you prefer staying strong, energetic and healthy ( just playing the odds).

That's it.

When your talking about logged are you meaning calories eaten or my calorie burned?

Eaten. Eaten + lost = total burned, within the limits of estimating accuracy, anyway .
  • BethanyLynnFitness
    Options

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

4. Add #1 and #3.

That's it.

Eaten. Eaten + lost = total burned, within the limits of estimating accuracy, anyway .

Don’t think I did it right, got a weird number lol
  • BethanyLynnFitness
    edited July 2018
    Options

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

4. Add #1 and #3.

That's it.

What I got was 160,335 after subtracting 20% from TDEE which was 200,419.

That’s why I think I did it wrong lol

Would it actually be 16035?
  • AnnPT77
    Options

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

4. Add #1 and #3.

That's it.

What I got was 160,335 after subtracting 20% from TDEE which was 200,419.

That’s why I think I did it wrong lol

Would it actually be 16035?

Presumably you still need to divide by number of weeks, then by 7 for days in a week . . . or just divide by the total number of days in the period you used?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    my fitbit has a HR on it and I can burn 3000 calories a day too but that includes what I burn just by being alive. if you have the fitbit app it shows under the exercise icon if you tap on it what you burned and at what times. add those up and you will see what you are burning from exercise alone.
  • BethanyLynnFitness
    Options

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

4. Add #1 and #3.

That's it.

For example, let's say you ate 1500 calories every single day (I know you ate different number each day, but we're keeping this simple) for 4 weeks, which is 28 days, for a total of 42,000 calories. Let's further assume that you lost exactly 3 pounds the first week, 2 pounds the second week, 1 pound the third week, and 1.4 pounds the 4th week, so a total of 7.4.

Following the steps quoted above:

1. Intake was 42,000 calories.
    2. Weight loss was 3 + 2 + 1 + 1.4 = 7.4 pounds.
    3. Approximate number of calories in weight lost was 7.4 pounds times 3500 calories, or 25,900 calories.
    4. Total of #1 & #3 is 42,000 + 25,900 = 67,900 calories.
    5. It was 4 weeks, so 67,900 divided by 4 = 16,975 calories per week.
    6. Putting that on a daily basis, 16,975 divided by 7 days in a week = 2,425 calories.

In the example, 2,425 calories would be the TDEE estimated from the eating & weight loss data.

I see now thank you, I plugged in my numbers and looked at the example that you showed and I got 1775. Dont I need to subtract that number to lose weight?
  • BethanyLynnFitness
    Options
    my fitbit has a HR on it and I can burn 3000 calories a day too but that includes what I burn just by being alive. if you have the fitbit app it shows under the exercise icon if you tap on it what you burned and at what times. add those up and you will see what you are burning from exercise alone.

Thank you, did what you said but man it’s tedious haha
  • AnnPT77
    Options

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

4. Add #1 and #3.

That's it.

For example, let's say you ate 1500 calories every single day (I know you ate different number each day, but we're keeping this simple) for 4 weeks, which is 28 days, for a total of 42,000 calories. Let's further assume that you lost exactly 3 pounds the first week, 2 pounds the second week, 1 pound the third week, and 1.4 pounds the 4th week, so a total of 7.4.

3. Approximate number of calories in weight lost was 7.4 pounds times 3500 calories, or 25,900 calories.
    6. Putting that on a daily basis, 16,975 divided by 7 days in a week = 2,425 calories.

In the example, 2,425 calories would be the TDEE estimated from the eating & weight loss data.

I see now thank you, I plugged in my numbers and looked at the example that you showed and I got 1775. Dont I need to subtract that number to lose weight?

You need to subtract something from that number in order to lose weight. To keep it healthy, 20% or less.

20% of 1775 would be 355, so you'd eat at lowest 1420 (1775 - 355) to lose weight. You should lose around three quarters of a pound weekly on that.

Note that your TDEE will slowly decrease as you get lighter, and increase if you move more.

Also note that all this arithmetic is implementing the TDEE method, so in this case you don't separately add exercise calories back in like you would if MFP estimated your goal.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I’m confused how there is such a difference between the number you first mentioned, 3000 cals or so that you said you burn - and the numbers you’re seeing from deriving your actual TDEE the way Ann explained. Was the 3000 cal burn day an anomaly? You said “I basically burn 3000 cals a day” which suggests that is a normal occurrence.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I’m confused how there is such a difference between the number you first mentioned, 3000 cals or so that you said you burn - and the numbers you’re seeing from deriving your actual TDEE the way Ann explained. Was the 3000 cal burn day an anomaly? You said “I basically burn 3000 cals a day” which suggests that is a normal occurrence.

Good point. I think 3000 was the Fitbit. OP also said she was eating 1500-1600 and losing around 0.8 pounds a week, which would imply a TDEE a little higher than 1775 . . . but as she's using cups/spoons or package portion to measure a good bit of intake, the intake numbers are a bit looser than they could be as well.

Bottom line, seems like 0.8 pounds a week is a reasonable rate, at 148 and 5'3" with 15 to lose, if I'm remembering her stats accurately.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Good point. I think 3000 was the Fitbit. OP also said she was eating 1500-1600 and losing around 0.8 pounds a week, which would imply a TDEE a little higher than 1775 . . . but as she's using cups/spoons or package portion to measure a good bit of intake, the intake numbers are a bit looser than they could be as well.

Bottom line, seems like 0.8 pounds a week is a reasonable rate, at 148 and 5'3" with 15 to lose, if I'm remembering her stats accurately.

Yes the original post was quite confusing. I’m not sure if there was actually a question OP was trying to get help with or not.
  • BethanyLynnFitness
    Options

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

edited for clarity

That is your TDEE....

4. Add #1 and #3.

That's it.

You need to subtract something from that number in order to lose weight. To keep it healthy, 20% or less.

20% of 1775 would be 355, so you'd eat at lowest 1420 (1775 - 355) to lose weight. You should lose around three quarters of a pound weekly on that.

Note that your TDEE will slowly decrease as you get lighter, and increase if you move more.

Also note that all this arithmetic is implementing the TDEE method, so in this case you don't separately add exercise calories back in like you would if MFP estimated your goal.

Thank you for helping get my numbers, this really helped me understand it a lot better. So I shouldn’t add my calories burned to MFP? So don’t add the calorie back in?
  • BethanyLynnFitness
    Options

Yes the 3000 is from the calorie burn from my Fitbit from the whole day of me working out plus working my active job. My Fitbit usually says around 2,000-3,000 higher end when I do a higher calorie burn and working. I’ll stop using Tablespoons and cups and try to use my scale more often. And yes your right about the 148 5”3 and have 15lbs to lose.
  • BethanyLynnFitness
    Options

Yes the original post was quite confusing. I’m not sure if there was actually a question OP was trying to get help with or not.

Sorry I made it confusing or what not, I was just asking a question about the article I was reading. Wasn’t expecting to get so much feed back lol
  • BethanyLynnFitness
    Options

The 3000 is from what my Fitbit has given me that I burned through that day from working out + from working. It’s usually between 2,000-3,000, and I’ve used different websites that calculated TDEE so I was just going from that. But Ann helped me figure it out by that formula.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

The 3000 is from what my Fitbit has given me that I burned through that day from working out + from working. It’s usually between 2,000-3,000, and I’ve used different websites that calculated TDEE so I was just going from that. But Ann helped me figure it out by that formula.

Sometimes trying to validate numbers through different sources to triangulate things creates more confusion than help since they use different algorithms, averages etc. the best approach is to usually pick one number and stick with it for a period of time, trying to be as consistent as possible with logging so that you have a reasonably accurate estimate of your calories in, and then can better assess the accuracy of your calories out estimate through your pattern of weight loss. None of this is going to be exact, since there are so many variables in play.

Based on your stats and amount of weight you have to lose, I think sticking with your current intake, tightening up your logging with the food scale, eating back a percentage of your exercise cals and monitoring for any anomalies for 4-6 weeks would be good. I think when you start using the food scale you’ll find your intake is higher than you thought, but since you’re losing at 0.8 lbs/week that’s absolutely fine for the amount of weight you have to lose.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Sometimes trying to validate numbers through different sources to triangulate things creates more confusion than help since they use different algorithms, averages etc. the best approach is to usually pick one number and stick with it for a period of time, trying to be as consistent as possible with logging so that you have a reasonably accurate estimate of your calories in, and then can better assess the accuracy of your calories out estimate through your pattern of weight loss. None of this is going to be exact, since there are so many variables in play.

Based on your stats and amount of weight you have to lose, I think sticking with your current intake, tightening up your logging with the food scale, eating back a percentage of your exercise cals and monitoring for any anomalies for 4-6 weeks would be good. I think when you start using the food scale you’ll find your intake is higher than you thought, but since you’re losing at 0.8 lbs/week that’s absolutely fine for the amount of weight you have to lose.

I 100% agree with WinoGelato, OP.