Replies

• lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you break your fast or not, it doesn't change one thing in the grand scheme of things especially if were debating about a single gum.
  • 831teerex
    831teerex Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lillypade wrote: »
    U have me confused now. So no gum or green tea while fasting? Just water only? And it is or not ok to break fast with say eggs and a carb?
    Find what works best for you. Consider the guidance suggestions on what you can try. In a certain sense, you’re experimenting with the relationship between your body and what you consume or give it for fuel. I encourage you to only change one variable at a time so you can get accurate feedback from your body and how it responds. Maybe this week, you hold off on the gum chewing but keep drinking your green tea. See what happens, then decide if you want to change something else.
    I should disclose that our (my wife and I) current eating style is Keto with intermittent as well as term fasting periods. I share what I share based on our experience and what’s worked for us.
    I found after transitions from a carbohydrate-laden “diet” to Keto, that my insulin sensitivity changed very quickly. Since then, I generally avoid breaking my fast with carbs, eating gum while fasting, I even strain the minced garlic out of my bone broth after making it. I’ll drink tea sometimes while fasting, generally a green or black leaf tea, and I brew loose leaf organic tea, again it’s what I’ve found works best for me after trying several types over many years.
    Have fun and try not to take make it an overly serious process. IMO, only those with serious medical conditions or elite level, world class caliber athletes need to sweat every micro-detail. I believe the most important thing is to make your relationship with the foods you choose to eat enjoyable so you’ll want to continue doing what you discover works for you.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,991 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate things. It's hard not to, because what you have to do seems so simple and boring, and we humans are drawn like moths to flashy light. To lose weight, you just have to eat less and move more. When you accept that, you will succeed.

So much this. I've been trying a number of things to get consistent weight loss, and have been struggling. I'm giving a variation of IF a try, but one that works for me. Ultimately, it's about consuming fewer calories - as long as I accomplish that, then if I have a snack, or my morning coffee, it really doesn't matter.

I'm not a fan of any strict diet that you can't live with, which is why I'm ending up where I'm at.

I know that counting calories and meal prep works for me - it does NOT work for my lifestyle. I'm on the road far too often, evenings/parties with friends, work gatherings, etc. While I know calorie counting works, reality is that it goes out the window for far too much of the year for me - sure, it works great in the winter when I'm home and my weekly routine doesn't vary, but from March through October it doesn't work.

I've tried a few things, and then thought about my "natural" patterns, and realized a modified-to-me variation of IF could work very well. I like my morning coffee with my creamer, but I almost never even want breakfast. I don't mind a lighter lunch. I like a nice, sit down, freshly cooked dinner with my wine though! This is true whether I'm on the road, at a race weekend, or at work - this can work with my lifestyle.

So I don't do a true "fast" more a variation of the "warrior IF" (to use the buzz terms). I have my morning coffee, since I'm still new to this and adjusting, I pack a small snack I can have in the early afternoon, and then I have my dinner. Pretty hard for me to overeat my daily calories in one meal!

Thus far, this is feeling like the most manageable plan I've tried. The ultimate goal is still CICO, and time will tell the real truth, but this feels far more "realistic" for how I live my life than other things I've tried (and failed) at.

ETA that I'm not extremely overweight - my current weight is 155, my goal is somewhere in 128-140 depending on how I look/feel when I get there. I've just struggled a lot trying to lose this weight, and my life is simply too haywire to stick to a solid meal plan most of the year.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate things. It's hard not to, because what you have to do seems so simple and boring, and we humans are drawn like moths to flashy light. To lose weight, you just have to eat less and move more. When you accept that, you will succeed.

So much this. I've been trying a number of things to get consistent weight loss, and have been struggling. I'm giving a variation of IF a try, but one that works for me. Ultimately, it's about consuming fewer calories - as long as I accomplish that, then if I have a snack, or my morning coffee, it really doesn't matter.

I'm not a fan of any strict diet that you can't live with, which is why I'm ending up where I'm at.

I know that counting calories and meal prep works for me - it does NOT work for my lifestyle. I'm on the road far too often, evenings/parties with friends, work gatherings, etc. While I know calorie counting works, reality is that it goes out the window for far too much of the year for me - sure, it works great in the winter when I'm home and my weekly routine doesn't vary, but from March through October it doesn't work.

I've tried a few things, and then thought about my "natural" patterns, and realized a modified-to-me variation of IF could work very well. I like my morning coffee with my creamer, but I almost never even want breakfast. I don't mind a lighter lunch. I like a nice, sit down, freshly cooked dinner with my wine though! This is true whether I'm on the road, at a race weekend, or at work - this can work with my lifestyle.

So I don't do a true "fast" more a variation of the "warrior IF" (to use the buzz terms). I have my morning coffee, since I'm still new to this and adjusting, I pack a small snack I can have in the early afternoon, and then I have my dinner. Pretty hard for me to overeat my daily calories in one meal!

Thus far, this is feeling like the most manageable plan I've tried. The ultimate goal is still CICO, and time will tell the real truth, but this feels far more "realistic" for how I live my life than other things I've tried (and failed) at.

ETA that I'm not extremely overweight - my current weight is 155, my goal is somewhere in 128-140 depending on how I look/feel when I get there. I've just struggled a lot trying to lose this weight, and my life is simply too haywire to stick to a solid meal plan most of the year.
    I really enjoyed reading this! It's so important that we understand the mechanics, and that they are the same for everybody, but that the practical application of the mechanics has to be individual. I too struggled with my weight, I was trying to follow a "Jenny Craig" type diet, and became too hung up in the national nutritional guidelines to understand that they're just guidelines, not hard and fast rules.

At the other end, I resisted meal planning, I imagined that's what you do when you have a family, and I'm single - it turns out that being single makes meal planning not only more necessary, but also a lot easier! I live a quiet and predictable life, so planning meals is possible, and meaningful - I have to buy enough, but not too much food; eating out means I'm not buying ingredients for those meals, so I'm not planning them.

I was also a readymeal fan, somehow (I know why, now) I had gotten the impression that readymeals would save me money, time and work. On a deeper level, I resented cooking because it made me feel the pressure of responsibility for my own nutrition, and I wasn't ready for that. Not with the fear the nutritional guidelines had imprinted in me. I was afraid to add fat, sugar and salt, so the food I made didn't taste right, so I believed I wasn't a good cook, so I wasn't motivated to cook, so I didn't get the necessary practice. It also didn't occur to me to check whether "eating alone is sad" and "cooking for one is boring" were valid arguments for buying readymeals.

Just calorie counting, judgement free calorie counting, MFP style, changed all that, and I'm happy to say it most of all taught me how to eat without having to count calories. Just eating regular meals and regular foods, takes care of my weight. It's a lot like when I grew up. The difference is that I decide 100% myself when and what to eat.