Losing weight and maintaining muscle?

Options
Hello everyone!
A bit about me: I have lost 90 lbs since the beginning of 2018 from just getting my eating in check and logging daily, staying in a calorie deficit (thank you MFP!) I added in yoga and walking when I felt like my mobility had gotten better.
I joined a gym last week because I’m craving more of a challenge and I want to feel stronger and get more into fitness, so I’m very excited about it!
I’ve gone a couple times so far- I’m loving it.
I want to continue to lose weight and fat ( I have about another 100 lbs to go all in all) I’m hoping to retain the muscle I have at least. I was wondering if anybody had tips for which exercises might be more beneficial to my goals? I have been doing some research but some things go over my head, it feels like! :# So, basically..
Which strength training exercises would you recommend for someone looking to lose fat and retain muscle?
Thank you all for your time!

Replies

• Ayehmwhy
    Ayehmwhy Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, malibu927! I’m gonna check that out
    As for squats, I have heard they’re great but my knees ache just thinking about it. still, it’s probably worth a shot lol thank you for your input
  • Ayehmwhy
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking time to reply and helping me out :) I feel like I’m doing pretty well on the calorie deficit and Protein intake so now I need to focus on learning some compound lifts, which I’ve only just learned about but they seem the way to go, for now. I’m curious, Are some of the the weight machines at the gym considered compound? some of them say they work more than one isolated muscle.
  • Ayehmwhy
    Options
    Or are compound lifts mostly body weight/ free weight things?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Ayehmwhy wrote: »
    Thanks so much for taking time to reply and helping me out :) I feel like I’m doing pretty well on the calorie deficit and Protein intake so now I need to focus on learning some compound lifts, which I’ve only just learned about but they seem the way to go, for now. I’m curious, Are some of the the weight machines at the gym considered compound? some of them say they work more than one isolated muscle.
    Or are compound lifts mostly body weight/ free weight things?

I guess it depends on which machines you have in your gym, but at least to some extent they're all going to do part of the job of stabilizing the weight in a particular path of movement, which your muscles have to do for themselves if you use free weights or body weight. My preference is for free weights and body weight exercises, but machines can occasionally be useful, and if you feel like you want to start with machines and shift to free weights later, that's certainly better than not doing any resistance training at all. I still like to use the leg press machine occasionally, especially to check strength gains for a single rep. And sometimes I use them when I'm recovering from an injury. Or if I'm traveling and the hotel gym doesn't have much by way of free weights.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, malibu927! I’m gonna check that out
    As for squats, I have heard they’re great but my knees ache just thinking about it. still, it’s probably worth a shot lol thank you for your input

If you're knees hurt during squats, you're form is off and needs to be corrected.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in starting with machines and eventually moving to free-weights this is a decent programme.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html

Definitely carry on with your yoga, it is so good for balance and flexibility.

There are a couple of good programmes in the link posted for beginners, the 'aworkoutroutine' dumbbell work out is good, as is the 'Nerdfitness' bodyweight routine.

If you are an absolute beginner I found the HasFit website had some good programmes, I just made a note in my phone of what to do then followed it at home or the gym.

Cheers, h.