Was there a veggie you resisted for years only to find you liked it when you tried it?

Replies

• lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    All of them. Growing up our vegetables consisted of canned corn or potatoes. Now, about 90% of my diet is vegetables, except corn and potatoes.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I did not like green peppers as a kid. I did taste them and did not like them. As I got older I couldn't be bothered to pick them off my pizza and started liking them.
    I was anti sweet potato until I discovered you could actually eat them without dumping marshmallows and sugar on them. I like them pretty plain with salt and pepper or chili powder.

There are vegetables I have not tried like a rhutabaga or turnip because they were not commonly eaten by people I know. I never had a vegetable that I refused to even taste though.

I see several consider mushrooms a vegetable. It is not even a plant though? I've always loved mushrooms but never counted them as a vegetable.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    edited July 2018
    Asparagus! I hated it as a kid and refused to eat it for years. Now I LOVE it as an adult, especially fresh from the farmers market.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Brussel Sprouts & Cabbage

Same!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    There are quite a few I was not a fan of as a kid. But my parents had a rule that I had to try everything at least once to confirm I still didn't like it. Avocados, sauerkraut, canned creamed corn and beets are some I can think of now. I think the taste buds change as you age, and things that were once revolting as a kid are now good as an adult. So far, I love avocados and sauerkraut. (Maybe not together. :lol: ) I still cant get past the texture of creamed corn to this day. And I just recently confirmed I still hate beets. They taste like sweet, pickled dirt to me. Ironically as a kid I LOVED my greens (and still do). Brussel sprouts, collard greens, mustard greens, spinach, etc. The greener and more bitter the better.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Cauliflower
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Broccoli. I can only eat it now by shredding it small and using in slaw
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Yams, sweet potatoes, and various squash.

There are still several I dislike. Brussel sprouts come to mind. An ex of mine told his sister they were baby cabbage patch kids. :laugh:
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Brussel sprouts. And the veggie my mom made us eat as kids I can't stomach anymore are lima beans.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    I only ate cucumbers and carrots until past 15. Then only developed a love for peppers at 22. Now I am 37 and I love all of them except raw onions (texture thing). I can't imagine a meal without a variety of veggies raw or cooked.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    iowalinda wrote: »
    If so, what was it? Mine was beets :)

Mine, too, I always thought I wouldn't like beets, so I didn't try them. They are one of my favorites now! I especially like them roasted and topped with goat cheese...mmmmmm delicious!

If you like beets you should try roasted radishes. Roasting mellows the spice and they transform into a lovely mild root vegetable.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    iowalinda wrote: »
    If so, what was it? Mine was beets :)

Mine, too, I always thought I wouldn't like beets, so I didn't try them. They are one of my favorites now! I especially like them roasted and topped with goat cheese...mmmmmm delicious!

If you like beets you should try roasted radishes. Roasting mellows the spice and they transform into a lovely mild root vegetable.

Beets and carrots coated in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and roasted is amazing.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Orange squashes. I disliked them as a kid and didn't touch them for years, then in my early 30s some was being passed around the table and I shrugged and took some to be polite. Was stunned when I enjoyed it. Now it's not fall/winter without roasted butternut squash.
  • ballerbryan
    ballerbryan Posts: 24 Member
    Bell peppers. I'm not sure why I even resisted to eat them to be honest. Then I tried it and realized I actually liked them
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I grew up eating my vegetables, so not really. I've always loved my vegetables.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Really I have always been a fan of vegetables! I used to eat entire jars of beets haha. I would have to say cucumbers. I loved pickles but didn't start eating raw cucumbers until like 5 years ago.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    I've had the opposite happen. I eat and always ate everything. In particular when I was a kid I loved to munch on Bell Peppers. I'd eat them whole and raw - like an apple. Then suddenly, as a teen they developed this medicinal taste that was bitter and sharp and overpowering. Can't stand them now - green or red or yellow.

oh, I remember.... I used to think that chickpeas had a waxy texture that stuck to your mouth like cold fat. I hated the taste and feel. I eat them now with no problems.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Radishes for some reason, I thought were gross, they're not. Other than that no I love all veggies
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Brussel sprouts. I had them the other day at a restaurant, roasted with some ras el hanout seasoning, feta and lemon drizzled over it and omg.....I almost died from happiness. It was so freaking good.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited July 2018
    Onions
    Avocados
    Radishes
    Tomatoes
    Pickled yellow peppers (banana peppers)
    Brussel sprouts
    Spinach

Really, I would say the only non-starchy vegetables I actually liked as a kid were cucumbers and carrots.

I was a picky eater as a kid, lol. I'm still pretty picky but my range of foods has definitely expanded a lot. I think the only food that I still can't tolerate at all is mushrooms. I can't even do them fried - it's a texture thing, mushroom-flavored stuff is fine.