No Consistency - Advice

Options
emmarobbo2756
emmarobbo2756 Posts: 9 Member
edited July 2018 in Motivation and Support
Hello everyone!

I've been using MyFitnessPal again in the last few months and I like it a lot.
I was looking for some support and advice, I don't know if other people are going through this too.

I've been working on trying to lose weight since January. I'm not clinically overweight, or if I was, only barely. It's really about how I look and feel and wanting to return to the weight I felt my best at. I've put a stone or more on gradually over about 5 years.

My issue is, I can't get any consistency. I'll have a phenomenal and committed week, and lose weight, which is pretty much always followed by a week where I go over my calorie limit every day. Not necessarily by loads, that happens occasionally, but just enough each day that by the end of the week I've not lost anything, or I've barely lost anything.I tend to get back on it after a bad or anti-climatic week and it goes round again.

It's so frustrating and slow. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any advice on how to stick to it consistently?

This week I was lax for a few days after a great week previously, not massively lax, just little bits every day, then the weekend was away with friends and I tried so hard to but I failed miserably every meal and then ended up bingeing for 3 days pretty much, I stopped tracking it was just too depressing, and now I feel tired and hungry and bloated and dreading weighing myself tomorrow.

It's frustrating because if I just stuck to my plan for a few weeks I'd be pretty much there.

Does anyone go through this? Any advice to stop diverting from plan or to recover quicker once you have?

Thank you!

Replies

• Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater. I can be amazing all week and then allow myself a cheat day and I will eat, eat, and eat some more. The only "advice" I can offer is don't let it snow ball.

I still let myself snowball occasionally but it is nothing like it was....I do force myself to track my binges so I own it and I see exactly how many calories I am taking in.

The crazy part - even in my binges I weigh my food because I'm obsessed with knowing what I've consumed. Then I work out and start all over again. So I guess I have no REAL advice but you are not alone!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Never stop tracking. If you aren’t going to track because you’ve gone over your number, you’ve disabled the tracking reality check. Not tracking overages is just sticking your head in the sand.

Also, the process is more important than the numbers. Protect the integrity of the process first. This might prevent the higher calorie weekend from turning into the followup binge.

Especially near goal weight there is a struggle to find the balance between our best weight and living our lives. Likely you don’t want unplug your social life just to get a number on the scale. But easing up to socialize didn’t need to be followed by 3 days off the rails.

And this- reading your post, you don’t say you’re gaining on your higher calorie weeks, just not losing or not much. Advice? Give yourself a break. Mentally that is. It’s working. Make a long term chart. If you have a long term downward trend, quit kicking yourself and give the process more time. It sounds like it’s working.

You’ll never get anymore consistency in your calories than you have in your life. You want to do the same thing every day?
  • manowarrule2003
    manowarrule2003 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im not trying to lose weight. Quite the opposite in fact. One thing that helps me to stick to my goal is having a vision. I have an image in my head of what i want to look like and when i think i cant eat that one more meal, i cant do that exercise session... I remember my goal. I believe in it and i want so badly to achieve it. I hope this helps in any way. Every day is a victory. Measure success not by months and weeks but by days. Best of luck to you
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You are in range for your height. You want to look trimmer and better. If you severely restrict your calories at your current weight, your body is going to fight you. As soon as you let hunger out of it's cage, it's going to fight to get those calories back in. It's not failure; it's nature.

I suggest you start an intensive weight training and exercise program. This will allow you to eat more and look better.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to be phenomenal and great, and just aim to eat enough, but not too much.
  • krupalip
    krupalip Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I was looking for some support and advice, I don't know if other people are going through this too.

I've been working on trying to lose weight since January. I'm not clinically overweight, or if I was, only barely. It's really about how I look and feel and wanting to return to the weight I felt my best at. I've put a stone or more on gradually over about 5 years.

My issue is, I can't get any consistency. I'll have a phenomenal and committed week, and lose weight, which is pretty much always followed by a week where I go over my calorie limit every day. Not necessarily by loads, that happens occasionally, but just enough each day that by the end of the week I've not lost anything, or I've barely lost anything.I tend to get back on it after a bad or anti-climatic week and it goes round again.

It's so frustrating and slow. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any advice on how to stick to it consistently?

This week I was lax for a few days after a great week previously, not massively lax, just little bits every day, then the weekend was away with friends and I tried so hard to but I failed miserably every meal and then ended up bingeing for 3 days pretty much, I stopped tracking it was just too depressing, and now I feel tired and hungry and bloated and dreading weighing myself tomorrow.

It's frustrating because if I just stuck to my plan for a few weeks I'd be pretty much there.

Does anyone go through this? Any advice to stop diverting from plan or to recover quicker once you have?

Thank you!

• krupalip
    krupalip Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey, just as someone previously said in the thread “you are not alone”, believe me I too am sailing in the same boat, I workout like crazy 5 times a week and it’s Friday and it’s end of the week, I treat myself to a beer and then the weekend is no different...with the food and wine...I have lost around 10 kgs and I have another 13 kgs to hit my goal weight in the next 2 months, by the way I am going it seems impossible...just wish I don’t give up on myself...as it is only oneself that is responsible for what we eat and drink...don’t be hard on yourself, take it one day at a time
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Thank you!

How much weight do you have to lose in total, and what is your weekly weight loss goal?

Often people have trouble staying on plan, because they've chosen an aggressive and difficult plan. If you don't have much to lose, you should be eating at a small deficit and looking for slower progress. Have you given up a lot of foods you miss?

If you'd like to provide your stats - height, weight, goal weight, weekly rate chosen, that sort of thing - we might be able to shine more light on it.

Regardless, everyone has bad days, no one is perfect. The key is learning from them - why did I go over? Was it worth it? Is there some way to set myself up to succeed more easily?

Also keep in mind it is normal to not lose weight every week, especially when you have less to lose. Small amounts of fat loss can easily hide behind water weight fluctuations so you only see your progress every couple of weeks or even longer. I saw the scale move around once a month when I was losing my last 10.

Hang in there!
  • emmarobbo2756
    emmarobbo2756 Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thank you guys, that's really kind of you.
    It's good to know I'm not alone.

@kimny72: Thank you! I'm 5ft4/5ft5, I currently weigh 60.5kg and I'd like to end up back at 54kg or thereabouts. That's a place I feel really great at. I work out 5 days a week, running or some strength training. I've done this for years so I've left that in place.

I chose the option on MyFitnessPal to aim to lose 2lbs a week.
    I sometimes manage it, many weeks it's more like a pound or half a pound. Sometimes I just maintain. Thankfully I've stopped putting on and then losing again. I was doing that earlier in the year and it was maddening.

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts!
  • kib113356
    kib113356 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was going through the same struggles that you are going through! I actually increased my activity level, therefore increasing my daily calorie allowance. Once I did that, it was much easier to stay consistent. Remember! If you do it for 3 weeks, it becomes a habit! Just hang on and try your best!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If it were me, I’d rework my numbers to add some calories.

There’s a constant tension here between eating at a deficit and living with it. With about 12 lbs to go, it’s time to lean more to living with it. Maybe 4-5 lbs per month for a while, maybe 2-3 lbs per month at the end. Try for a soft landing. There’s no advantage to a rush to GW.

It’s time to start thinking about the long term. Keep reading this board. It’s filled with stories of people who made their goal but couldn’t stay there.

According to your post you're trying to rework 5 years of living a certain way and set yourself to rework that in about 6 weeks. Does that sound reasonable?

You need not demand so much of yourself. You’re only human.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

@kimny72: Thank you! I'm 5ft4/5ft5, I currently weigh 60.5kg and I'd like to end up back at 54kg or thereabouts. That's a place I feel really great at. I work out 5 days a week, running or some strength training. I've done this for years so I've left that in place.

I sometimes manage it, many weeks it's more like a pound or half a pound. Sometimes I just maintain. Thankfully I've stopped putting on and then losing again. I was doing that earlier in the year and it was maddening.

wiht only 6kg to lose (14lbs) - 2lbs a week is wayyy to agressive (that is equal to 1000cal deficit a day) - you would be better of adjusting to .25-.5lbs a week - slow and steady wins the race
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

OK, so you are already in the healthy weight range for your height and trying to lose vanity lbs. Well there's your problem :smiley: . Trying to lose that little weight at 2 lbs per week is asking for trouble. Honestly, 0.5lbs per week would be best, but if you must be more aggressive don't try for over 1 lb per week. It's too much stress on your body and you will lose far more muscle than you'd want going that fast.

I'm 5'4ish and like I said I barely lost 0.5lbs per week while I was going from 135lbs to 125lbs. I honestly think the speed you're looking for is the problem. You might find focusing on the strength training (maybe a progressive program if you aren't doing one already) will help to reshape you a bit while you're waiting for the scale to do it's thing (great thread - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1 )

Slow it down a little, make room for some treats you might be forcing yourself to avoid. And also keep in mind that you will see plenty of water weight fluctuations at different times in your cycle, sometimes several lbs. You can get on the scale and lost 0.5lbs of fat, but gained 2 lbs of water so you see a gain on the scale. Unfortunately, patience and keeping the long view in mind is gonna be necessary. Hang in there, have faith in the process!