Improve VO2 Max

Options
hal1964
hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
Hello! Does anyone know of a way to improve their VO2 Max? I am looking for some sort of plan, app or program. I just had a VO2 Max test done and I am only in the "fair" range now but used to be "excellent". I suspect it is because I stopped running which was due to injury. Obviously, start running again but is there some sort of program I can use that works towards improvement? Thanks for reading !

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    Options
    Work on getting your base fitness where it should be - primarily by gradually building steady state work, to start, then a normal performance-oriented running training program (if running is your thing). There are "icing on the cake" ways to improve VO2max for competitions, but they're really predicated on having the base fitness in place to start. (With apologies, I don't know anything about running programs per se. I'm a rower, used to using a periodized training plan for that when needed.)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool? Swimming is great cardio.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    hal1964 wrote: »
    Hello! Does anyone know of a way to improve their VO2 Max? I am looking for some sort of plan, app or program. I just had a VO2 Max test done and I am only in the "fair" range now but used to be "excellent". I suspect it is because I stopped running which was due to injury. Obviously, start running again but is there some sort of program I can use that works towards improvement? Thanks for reading !

The main question becomes around what the purpose is? Improvements in VO2Max aren't generally all that enduring. It's the kind of thing that's done in Phase2 of a training plan, building on a solid aerobic base.

If I was designing perhaps a half marathon 12 week plan I'd design say seven weeks of base training, four weeks of speed work that would improve VO2Max and then a week taper.
  • hal1964
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I have C25K and will run at least 1 5K this year. I can't swim so swimming is out. So what is a good 12 week plan then? Cardiovascular disease runs in my family and being older now, just want to stay ahead of the curve.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    After you have built your base mileage back to 30 or so mpw, look into a plan for shorter distance races - 5k or 10k. It will include things like speed intervals, strides, and pickups but have somewhat lower mileage than a HM plan. Hudson, Hanson or Pfitzinger are possibilities. If you have access to a bike, you could try some HIIT on that as well. Doing a lot of speed work isn't a good idea until you have your base built up again, since the risk of injury is higher, but you could do some pickups where you only run faster for a minute or less.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Agree with all of the above.
  • hal1964
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I have C25K and will run at least 1 5K this year. I can't swim so swimming is out. So what is a good 12 week plan then? Cardiovascular disease runs in my family and being older now, just want to stay ahead of the curve.

OK, that helps.

There are three different aspects of your CV health that you need to think about, and in practice VO2Max is probably the least significant.

As you're working on C25K you're building your aerobic capacity, essentially the volume of blood oxygen that your system can convey around your body. You'll see the effect of that from reduced blood pressure, and a lower resting heart rate. What helps that is simply steady state running and cycling, or similar. I'd generally recommend not doing anything more sophisticated than steady state until you're running about 30-40km per week.

Your Lactate Threshold HR is the point at which you can sustain the effort for an hour. It's called that because it used to be thought that it was the pace at which lactic acid production exceeded the ability to clear it, but understanding has moved on an whilst that explanation is no longer valid it's a point at which many train for improved race performance.

VO2Max relates to the volume of oxygen that your lungs can concentrate into the blood. So coupled with aerobic capacity it improves the amount of oxygen that can be moved around the system. As I mentioned upthread it's something that once improved, declines again quickly. The type of training to improve it involves sprint intervals. I wouldn't design a sprint interval session for someone until they can comfortably run for 10km as it needs a long warm up and cool down to avoid injury.

With a history of heart disease I'd concentrate on your aerobic capacity. Once you've finished C25K move onto a 10K plan, just use an existing canned one. That should give you the capacity to routinely run for 10k three to four times per week, which is plenty for CV health. There is no need to do anything more, and specifically no need to target VO2Max.

This is the thing I noticed about my VO2Max. That is, it declined quickly when I stopped training due to injury. I still feel I can do the same things, running-wise and sports-wise but it did decline and the testing proved that.

Ok, now one more thing about me. I am 54 with a history of some injury to a knee, ankle and hip. Is targeting to run 10k 3 to 4 times per week a little too much pounding on these joints?
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Thought of cycling? Introducing it into your week will provide a break from the pounding of only running while still achieving the CV results desired. Plus, the variety is good for not only your body but your head. Don't get too caught up in the perfect expensive bike. Just ride.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

OK, that helps.

There are three different aspects of your CV health that you need to think about, and in practice VO2Max is probably the least significant.

As you're working on C25K you're building your aerobic capacity, essentially the volume of blood oxygen that your system can convey around your body. You'll see the effect of that from reduced blood pressure, and a lower resting heart rate. What helps that is simply steady state running and cycling, or similar. I'd generally recommend not doing anything more sophisticated than steady state until you're running about 30-40km per week.

Your Lactate Threshold HR is the point at which you can sustain the effort for an hour. It's called that because it used to be thought that it was the pace at which lactic acid production exceeded the ability to clear it, but understanding has moved on an whilst that explanation is no longer valid it's a point at which many train for improved race performance.

VO2Max relates to the volume of oxygen that your lungs can concentrate into the blood. So coupled with aerobic capacity it improves the amount of oxygen that can be moved around the system. As I mentioned upthread it's something that once improved, declines again quickly. The type of training to improve it involves sprint intervals. I wouldn't design a sprint interval session for someone until they can comfortably run for 10km as it needs a long warm up and cool down to avoid injury.

With a history of heart disease I'd concentrate on your aerobic capacity. Once you've finished C25K move onto a 10K plan, just use an existing canned one. That should give you the capacity to routinely run for 10k three to four times per week, which is plenty for CV health. There is no need to do anything more, and specifically no need to target VO2Max.

This is the thing I noticed about my VO2Max. That is, it declined quickly when I stopped training due to injury. I still feel I can do the same things, running-wise and sports-wise but it did decline and the testing proved that.

Ok, now one more thing about me. I am 54 with a history of some injury to a knee, ankle and hip. Is targeting to run 10k 3 to 4 times per week a little too much pounding on these joints?

The bike forum is full of former runners.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    Options
    Rowing is another lower-impact option (yes, the power comes from legs, not just upper body). Boats are more fun than machines. ;)

Lots of former or cross-training runners (and cyclists) in my rowing club.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

OK, that helps.

I've had broken ankles, and I'm running ten marathons and ultra marathons this season... I'll let you come to a conclusion on that.

There is a lot of value in cycling for cross training, I'd say the same about rowing but that involves a club which is what puts me off. As running is weight bearing it has some additional benefits in terms of strengthening the knees and ankles, that you don't get from cycling or rowing. If you're mainly interested in aerobic capacity then a combination is probably the best bet.
  • hal1964
    Options
    I am thinking a combination of running again and rowing. They have rowing machines at my gym and I've gotten good workouts from them. I know about the weight bearing benefits of running too and this is why I want to start again. Midsummer is not the best time, but it is what it is. I have a mountain bike in good shape but quite literally the trails and paths around my house and clogged with people on bikes on the weekends. It's dangerous sometimes!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Ironically, a mountain bike provides a lot more of the impact related benefits of running than a road bike. There were a number of studies. But if running is what appeals to you, enjoy it! Start slow as if you've never done it before. :smile:
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I am thinking a combination of running again and rowing. They have rowing machines at my gym and I've gotten good workouts from them. I know about the weight bearing benefits of running too and this is why I want to start again. Midsummer is not the best time, but it is what it is. I have a mountain bike in good shape but quite literally the trails and paths around my house and clogged with people on bikes on the weekends. It's dangerous sometimes!

Here's the rowing plan I'm currently following. It's very closely geared toward mainly three things - aerobic capacity, lactate clearance and working on your AT (suppose that's the same as lactate clearance but this is also a lactic acid tolerance plan too, more or less, which for rowing you need both clearance and tolerance, like any tough endurance sport). You can get ideas (if you decide on rowing) from this plan on what to do on your rowing days. Running and rowing plans are very, very similar at higher level training levels. I ran for around four years and now I've rowed for around five. Same principles, just different paces/equipment.

Some of these interval workouts are brutal. You must work on and learn form before attempting them or you could hurt your back. Driving from the legs and correct Drag Factor (around 3 to 5 damper on most machines) is vitally important.

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/5k-training/
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

OK, that helps.

The loss of aerobic capacity has been documented by studies, and it doesn't take long to start losing all that you've worked so hard for. The only comfort here is that it drops fairly quickly even for people that did a lot more training.

Only you know if the running is helping or hurting your joints. I have some back issues and have been advised against much running volume. In my case I never really enjoyed running much, so resorting to the other options mentioned in the thread wasn't a hard decision for me to make. We also have a good elliptical at home, so while I always prefer some biking, something about all that data in front of me helps me see changes and motivates me on the (seemingly boring) elliptical.

I have an old, heavy, essentially crap mountain bike. While it may slow my pace, the workout is just as good. I don't have the bike traffic issues you do except in some small areas I can find ways around, but if you find a bike rack you can often find areas with less traffic. One thing I really like about the bike in the warmer months is that the speed keeps you cooler until you stop.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

OK, that helps.

The bike forum is full of former runners.

Haha! Never thought of that, but I'm sure its true!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    [/quote] Ok, now one more thing about me. I am 54 with a history of some injury to a knee, ankle and hip. Is targeting to run 10k 3 to 4 times per week a little too much pounding on these joints? [/quote]

OP, I was in a similar situation a few years back. I restarted running at age 54, while still overweight, after a decade long layoff. As my cardio fitness improved, I built up mileage. I sustained a calf injury in my second year, so that forced me to move to cycling for awhile. As my injuries healed, I returned to running and increased mileage. Over the last 7-8 years, I have continued to run, up to the marathon distance, but I"ve now moved into multisport training. I like the cross training effects of cycling and swimming, as well as the fun of moving between different modes of training.

As to your question of 10k done 3-4 times per week, only you know the answer. For me, I"m ok to run 4 days per week up to half marathon training volume, say 30ish miles. If I increase frequency or duration beyond that, I'm asking for trouble. Hope that helps.