Options
KosmosKitten
KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
So I hear the phrases "I'm so old" or "I feel old" bantered around a lot by people my age and it mostly just causes me to roll my eyes.

So my question is: At what age are you considered to be "old"?

Mark Twain once was quoted as saying "Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter."

Is that true? Or is there an age where "old" is a real possibility?

For myself, being in my thirties: I feel old emotionally/psychologically, but nowhere near old physically. Does that make me old? Or more just an "old soul"?

And I look at people who are years ahead of me in age and they still don't feel "old" in my mind, even if they feel that way about themselves.

So what makes a person "old"? Are we all young until we hit say.. 80? Is there a specific age or no?

Replies

• TheWorstOne
    TheWorstOne Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It’s a relative man.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Old happens when you let it.

I'm 44. My body doesn't work as well as it did a few years ago; aches and pains have crept in; I have to be a little more careful; I don't recover from injury as quickly. But I don't feel old mentally or emotionally. I want to play and tell dirty jokes. I want to enjoy the outdoors with my family. I want to throw ball with the kids. I have a strong libido.

I recognize my physical age, but when I think about how I feel, I'm still young.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think alot of it has to do with how active you are with both your body and mind, so I say you are old when you quit moving and engaging in activities.

That said, of the folks I have known that stayed pretty on top of it well into their golden years, seems like something happens (accident or injury of some sort) in the 80-85 range that caused them to really slow down.
  • Pour_Decisions
    Pour_Decisions Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    It all depends. I'm old for certain things but I'm young for others. It's all relative I suppose.

I also roll my eyes when 'young' (30's and 40's) people refer to themselves as old. Especially if they are younger than I am. I'm like 'WTF you must think I'm older than dirt and I don't feel that way AT ALL'.
  • covetthycarbs
    covetthycarbs Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    When music sucks and movies become ridiculous because teenagers obviously are too young to actually save the world.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Old is fifteen years ahead of whatever I am.

That being said there comes a point where you spend more on maintenance with the vintage models. Don’t ignore the signs of bigger problems. You may have a chronic condition and have to take pills. Goes with the territory.

I say fifteen year olds are the oldest people on the planet. Lifting an arm is hard work, and keeping up on social conventions is exhausting. By comparison those of us in middle age can pretty well do whatever we want. We can dress inappropriately, and take vacation any time of the year. What they gonna do? Fire us? Disinherit us? Yes, please.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When music sucks and movies become ridiculous because teenagers obviously are too young to actually save the world.
    When Snoop Dogg says modern hiphop/rap sucks, you know there's a problem in the industry. I'll stick with my classic rock, most of which is still older than me. ;)
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Well I am closer to 60 than to 50 and I don't feel old and don't consider myself old. No doubt the body isn't what it use to be, but it is nowhere near the tail end of its existence.
  • covetthycarbs
    Options
    When Snoop Dogg says modern hiphop/rap sucks, you know there's a problem in the industry. I'll stick with my classic rock, most of which is still older than me. ;)

When you hear the kids calling 80’s rock classic rock
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

When you figure that a 13 year-old kid today listening to Zeppelin II would be the equivalent of you at that age having been grooving to Cole Porter and Glenn Miller.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think of old age as the last decade or so of your lifespan so maybe 70's and 80's is where is starts for most people. Old does not mean you are not valuable or active to me but there is generally a change.
  • ChaelAZ
    ChaelAZ Posts: 2,240 Member
    Options
    the last year I have physically felt older.
    Mentally I am still, like, 17.
  • SwannySez
    Options
    LMNOP55 wrote: »
    @SwannySez wrote: »

When you figure that a 13 year-old kid today listening to Zeppelin II would be the equivalent of you at that age having been grooving to Cole Porter and Glenn Miller.

I do that with movies and TV shows. Teens watching the first season of Seinfeld would be like teen me watching Texaco Star Theater or the Jack Benny show.

WHICH WERE BOTH CLASSICS!
  • covetthycarbs
    Options

I do that with movies and TV shows. Teens watching the first season of Seinfeld would be like teen me watching Texaco Star Theater or the Jack Benny show.
    SwannySez wrote: »

Teens today watching The Breakfast Club would be like teen me watching Gone With the Wind.

Teens today don’t even know what those movies and shows are
  • SwannySez
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »

Teens today watching The Breakfast Club would be like teen me watching Gone With the Wind.

And they don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies!
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Y'all are a hoot. :lol: