Farmed salmon vs Wild caught?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I’ve been eating more salmon in general and I just found out that it’s farmed salmon so I did a search on google and all this scary info came up about the dangers of farmed salmon. Made me feel abit upset because there always seems to be something wrong with food these days and I love salmon as a protein source. Is it worth it to switch to wild caught salmon? Is farmed salmon really that bad???

I wouldn’t stress or worry yourself too much over it, if I’m honest I eat lots of salmon but never look at whether it’s farmed or wild, it all tastes the same to me .. it’s fish and it’s healthy for you. The internet does tend to put up a lot of scary stuff but you just can’t be sure if there is any truth behind it

By examining the basis for specific claims, we can determine if there is any truth behind statements made on the internet. It's not like we just have to throw up our hands and give up on the idea that we can understand reality.

There may be some truth behind some claims on the internet but I don’t think people should worry or stress over it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I’ve been eating more salmon in general and I just found out that it’s farmed salmon so I did a search on google and all this scary info came up about the dangers of farmed salmon. Made me feel abit upset because there always seems to be something wrong with food these days and I love salmon as a protein source. Is it worth it to switch to wild caught salmon? Is farmed salmon really that bad???

I wouldn’t stress or worry yourself too much over it, if I’m honest I eat lots of salmon but never look at whether it’s farmed or wild, it all tastes the same to me .. it’s fish and it’s healthy for you. The internet does tend to put up a lot of scary stuff but you just can’t be sure if there is any truth behind it

By examining the basis for specific claims, we can determine if there is any truth behind statements made on the internet. It's not like we just have to throw up our hands and give up on the idea that we can understand reality.

There may be some truth behind some claims on the internet but I don’t think people should worry or stress over it.

I don't think anyone should worry or stress, but I do think it's possible to have an educated understanding of which choices or behaviors are riskier and make decisions based on that information.

(Note: I'm not saying eating farmed fish is risky, I don't know enough about the subject to have an opinion. I'm just saying that for those who are interested, it's relatively easy to review the current science and understand if evidence shows this is a riskier behavior than eating wild fish. Once the degree of risk (if any) is understood, the decision can be made by an individual. None of this requires worry or stress, it just requires a bit of research).
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    What's wrong with higher levels of Omega 6? Isn't that why people take fish oil and eat almonds?

To the OP, Salmon is a fantastic source of protein. Don't let wierdo's ruin your diet. That said, I do prefer Fresh wild Caught Salmon, I have a fish monger that catches sockeye in northern Canada, those are so delicious. But I don't get bent out of shape, if they didn't have a good catch and I have to go the grocery store for farm raised stuff. Or sometimes its just more convenient to pick up what's at grocery while I'm there. No reason to get that picky.

There is nothing inherently wrong with Omega-6's, they are after all an Essential Fatty Acid. The problem is that most people consume 3's and 6's out of balance, the preferred ratio is 4:1 Omega-6 to Omega-3, with some even suggesting an ideal ratio of 1:1. Most people aren't getting anywhere near that with the average being more like 12:1. With Farmed Salmon, the Omega-6 amount is generally increased while the Omega-3 amount remains the same, thus throwing that ratio further out of whack.

If you are still getting the same amount of omega 3, I don't see how getting some extra omega 6 is something to be concerned about, not even a little bit.

My understanding is that experts currently disagree whether or not the ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 is important in your diet. If you're getting sufficient omega-3 but consuming more omega-6, some would consider that to be potentially risky.

This^. It's the ratio that matters.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    ^Why though? What are the risks? The article linked above is not very informative. Both have health benefits. I can understand why too much OM6 would be an issue, but the same can be said of any fat. I don't understand why the ratio matters. This is the first I've heard of this, so I'm curious.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »

Thanks! That article was actually informative. Still though, I'm not concerned about the ratio of Om6 vs 3 in a piece of Salmon, considering I'm not obese, nor consume large quantities of oil of any kind. Based on what I read there, it still appears to me this higher ratio is the result of over indulgence in oily/fatty foods in general, rather the type of salmon you're eating. Regardless, I wanted to know why its an issue, you provided an answer. Thank you! Personally, its not a concern for me. Maybe others with obesity and heart trouble should be more concerned.
  • Diatonic12
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Most fish offered as wild cannot be verified

I am vegan which is much safer

I mean, yeah, until we get the deadly romaine, melon chunks, or peanut butter.

Right now there is a recall on DelMonte Vegetable Trays. 212 people have come down with intestinal parasites because of them.

The actual number of cases will probably be much higher than the 212 confirmed so far by health officials.

Although the illness can be treated with antibiotics, symptoms can last from a few days to a few months. In some cases, a patient who reports feeling better may get sick again.

Anyone who has consumed any of the recalled vegetable trays and developed symptoms should seek medical attention.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/more-than-200-sickened-in-del-monte-vegetable-outbreak/

Health officials have reported 212 cases linked with recalled Del Monte 6 oz. and 12 oz. vegetable trays in Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, and Michigan. Seven people had to be hospitalized. The company is also recalling these veggie trays in the state of Wisconsin, as well as 28 oz. veggie trays which include broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery and dill dip, which were distributed to Illinois and Indiana.

The recalled products were distributed to the following stores: Kwik Trip, Kwik Star, Demond's, Sentry, Potash, Meehan's, Country Market, FoodMax Supermarket, and Peapod.

Veggie%20tray%20recall%20collage_1529187039722.jpg_5673654_ver1.0_640_360.jpg.
  • Diatonic12
    Options
    salmon.jpg.
  • Nikolaijj
    Nikolaijj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Farmed, always. Just find it from a good, clean farm and you'll be perfectly fine. I'm personally very against wild caught fish, it disrupts the ecosystem, can harm animals that weren't meant to be caught, and actively decreases the populations that we've already hurt. Farm raised fish is meant to be eaten and has its own separate ecosystem, so eating it doesn't hurt the ocean.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Nikolaijj wrote: »
    Farmed, always. Just find it from a good, clean farm and you'll be perfectly fine. I'm personally very against wild caught fish, it disrupts the ecosystem, can harm animals that weren't meant to be caught, and actively decreases the populations that we've already hurt. Farm raised fish is meant to be eaten and has its own separate ecosystem, so eating it doesn't hurt the ocean.

Exactly! I came here to post something similar. To me the idea of promoting eating only wild caught fish comes across as selfish and environmentally unaware.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am keto so high saturated fat is a plus for me. The thing I can't figure out is when I buy salmon there are so many choices. I stand at the freezer and think "one of these smalls up the house more than the other". This was a huge problem when I had a down draft vent. Not so bad since I upgraded to a powerful hood over the cooktop.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Nikolaijj wrote: »

That's exactly the reason I prefer farmed over wild-caught. I'm not going to spit out a wild caught fish if I find out I'm eating one, but I usually prefer farmed given the chance. I'm not overly concerned about overdoing omega 6 since I use oils sparingly in my diet to save calories.
  • javacreek
    javacreek Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Wild caught over farmed.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Don't forget the bean sprouts.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Farmed is more sustainable environmentally wise, wild-caught can have a better nutritional punch. It really depends on which of these two is more important to you as to which one you prefer.