protein supplement recommendations?

Options
2»

Replies

• inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    This is good advice, guys/girls. I wanted a protein powder for after working out/lifting because I worry that I'm burning muscle (I get about 50g of protein on a good day). Is that enough?

If you're weight training and want to build lean muscle, you should consume at least 1g of protein per pound of current body weight (fitness and bodybuilding standard). So if you weigh in at 120lbs, you should consume 120g of protein a day split in all 6 meals...roughly 20g of protein a meal.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey is NSF Certified and GMP approved. I take it because of that and the White Chocolate is awesome, Caramel Toffee Fudge in oatmeal tastes amazing!

I'm trying to build muscle and my lean body weight (minus the fat) is 127.5, so should I be eating 127.5g of protein a day, or should I base grams of protein per day on my overall body weight of 191.6? (That is a lot more protein to ingest, obviously.) I also run/do cardio and I don't want to be burning muscles off in the process.
  • Jeremy_S
    Jeremy_S Posts: 11
    Options
    This is good advice, guys/girls. I wanted a protein powder for after working out/lifting because I worry that I'm burning muscle (I get about 50g of protein on a good day). Is that enough?

If you're weight training and want to build lean muscle, you should consume at least 1g of protein per pound of current body weight (fitness and bodybuilding standard). So if you weigh in at 120lbs, you should consume 120g of protein a day split in all 6 meals...roughly 20g of protein a meal.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey is NSF Certified and GMP approved. I take it because of that and the White Chocolate is awesome, Caramel Toffee Fudge in oatmeal tastes amazing!

I'm trying to build muscle and my lean body weight (minus the fat) is 127.5, so should I be eating 127.5g of protein a day, or should I base grams of protein per day on my overall body weight of 191.6? (That is a lot more protein to ingest, obviously.) I also run/do cardio and I don't want to be burning muscles off in the process.

It always depends on the person. For me, I take my full body weight. But if you're not used to such a huge jump in protein, start off your protein intake with your lean body weight first. If you still notice some muscle loss, shoot it up to your total weight per day :).
  • RangerSteve
    Options

Protein is the only macro-nutrient that never stays in the body. It's constantly being released. Eating 6 balanced meals a day keeps the body's metabolism high, keeps the body in an anabolic (fat burning) state, and keeps your energy at a steady level throughout the day, and much more but I'd rather not go into heavy detail. Losing weight or gaining muscle, your body needs adequate protein to keep your muscles full and ready. I don't think people want to lose weight and become weaker as a result. If you research as well, Sumo wrestlers eat 2 BIG meals a day, that's it. They have slowed their metabolism down so much where whatever they eat, majority of it just stores as fat b/c the body has no idea when you will feed it again.

American's for so many years go by the standard "3 square meals" a day...and you wonder why we are the leading obese nation in the world. We are just one meal over the sumo diet! 6 meals split evenly throughout the day with good fats, complex carbs, and protein ensure the body a good release of energy and the protein+healthy fats keeps you satiated until your next meal.

Hope this helps.

1) Eating 6 meals a day does not keep your metabolism high

2) It also doesn't keep your body in an "anabolic" state

3) Energy levels are dependent upon hormones and that is independent of food. Insulin and glucagon balance blood sugar to keep your levels up/down regardless of when you eat.

4) Sumo wrestlers gain fat because they eat massive amounts of calories, not because they eat 2 meals a day.

5) America's obesity has NOTHING to do with 3 square meals a day
  • Jeremy_S
    Jeremy_S Posts: 11
    Options
    Look man, I'm just trying to help out people here. I guess Bill Phillips, Men's Health Magazine, Woman's Health Magazine, Muscle and Fitness magazine, FLEX Magazine, Dr. Oz, Tony Horton, Jay Cutler, Jillian Michaels, and science are all un-credible sources then (because that's where I learned the information).
  • RangerSteve
    Options
    Look man, I'm just trying to help out people here. I guess Bill Phillips, Men's Health Magazine, Woman's Health Magazine, Muscle and Fitness magazine, FLEX Magazine, Dr. Oz, Tony Horton, Jay Cutler, Jillian Michaels, and science are all un-credible sources then (because that's where I learned the information).

Finally, here is a study showing that meal timing doesn't matter:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

And here is Alan Aragon (one of the leading nutritionists in the entire field) talking about how it's false to assume we can only digest X amount of protein per meal or at a time:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options

There isn't a single person or publication on that list that I would rely on for credible nutritional information. Serious. Least of all Dr. Oz.