Crossfit

Options
I have an induction week to a new CrossFit gym next week.
I’m thinking of leaving my current gym (just a standard ‘planet fitness’ type gym but in the UK) as unless I go to my kettlebell classes I tend to drift towards the treadmill (I can run outside though) and the kettlebell classes are pretty high rep more cardio based. I’m really keen to start increasing my strength and building some muscle as I’m soon to start approaching maintainance.

Obviously I’ll find out more when I go next week and I know they will vary gym to gym but I’m just looking for some insight as to what I can expect from a CrossFit gym? What do people enjoy about it? What results are you getting? Will it help me achieve my goals of increasing strength and building up some muscle?
I’d be looking to go 4-5 hours a week.

Replies

• loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It wasn't for me, but I know a lot of people who love it.
    Pros:
    Good atmosphere, emphasis on heavy weights, variety. I really enjoyed the onramp training where they took us through technique and concentrated on any weaknesses we might have.
    Cons:
    Emphasis on heavy weights at the expense of all else, I didn't really get the 'high five' culture, and I question the programming (seems sporadic). Also, in contrast to the onramp weeks, the instructor presence seemed a bit light - there wasn't enough of picking up on poor form.

Plus, being totally vain here - I don't like the shape it can give women. The gymnastic moves and oblique work can thicken your torso so you get that 'blocky' look. I prefer more aesthetic targeted training, which goes against the entire premise of Crossfit so it was likely never going to be a good fit for me. And my comments are based on one box only, so YMMV. It does kick your butt though, you never feel as though you haven't worked out.
    And if you love it, you love it - the only way to know is to give it a go! Good luck!
  • samiejones1
    samiejones1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much for all taking the time out of your day to give such detailed replies. They have been very helpful.
    It looks like it’s going to be something really different to what I’m used to and something I’m either going to love or hate, but I’m ready for a change and I really am a beginner when it comes to strength so I need that more personal service to support me with doing it to both push me and ensure I’m doing it right as to not cause myself an injury.
    I still have a month on my other gym and the CrossFit box does a 2 week trial so I’m going to go along and check it out and make my mind up from there. I’m very excited but also a little nervous! I’ll keep you posted!
    Thanks again xx
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,430 Member
    Options
    Why not? look if it's worth it. Btw, does you current gym have a squatrack, bench and barbells? That might be a place to start as well if you get a trainer to show you how to.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Just started Crossfit this week!

I joined one where you can just pay $30 for the open gym, then punch cards for classes.
    I wanted a gym where I can do Stronglifts. (I have a squat rack at home, but had a baby in January, so really no time to lift except on my lunch break at work)

I am thinking I will be doing 1 class plus two open gym sessions per week. I may fall in love with the classes, and change this up, but I've never been a 'joiner', so I'm not counting on this.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    BTW, in the two intro one-on-ones I've been to so far (they require 4), they've been great about explaining how to modify exercises/lifts to your ability, and emphasizing safety.

I feel very comfortable about joining a class soon..
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    To the points made about a good Crossfit gym, and good coaches - make sure you know what that means and how to tell the difference.

You can have totally supportive members that have no clue on good form supporting a poor coach.
    Starting Strength author & training guru Mark Rippetoe was used to do many training classes for coaches.
    But up to the coaches to bring it back and train right, despite the goals many comments above make that would seem to go opposite (speed, timed, heavy, peer pressure).

Best to watch a class or two really as you have time, while not in the moment - gives a chance to observe.

Look to see if people are being encourage to do a lift with obvious bad form. See if the coach is keeping an eye on those attempts.
    That kind of thing.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Give it a go - you won't know if it's a fit for you until you try.

You will certainly build some muscle with CrossFit. Will it be as much as a proper hypertrophy bodybuilding program? Nope, not even close.

You will certainly build some strength with CrossFit. Will it be as much as a proper stength based or Powerlifting program? Nope, not even close.

CrossFit is kinda like the jack-of-all-trades master of none type of activity. It's interesting, since I know several people who are very into CrossFit and have been regularly training for years. None of them is what I'd call heavily muscled - with clothes on you couldn't even tell they lifted... well, there *is* one dude who is pretty big... but he was a bodybuilder for years and went into CrossFit with a pretty impressive build to begin with.

They are all in great shape though and love their "boxes" and the social aspect of it. One of the guys though - was pretty skinny when he started and told me he was gong to get "jacked". Well, it's been two years and he's still nowhere close to that goal. CrossFit might not have been the best choice for him considering the outcome he wanted.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Give it a go - you won't know if it's a fit for you until you try.

You will certainly build some muscle with CrossFit. Will it be as much as a proper hypertrophy bodybuilding program? Nope, not even close.

You will certainly build some strength with CrossFit. Will it be as much as a proper stength based or Powerlifting program? Nope, not even close.

CrossFit is kinda like the jack-of-all-trades master of none type of activity. It's interesting, since I know several people who are very into CrossFit and have been regularly training for years. None of them is what I'd call heavily muscled - with clothes on you couldn't even tell they lifted... well, there *is* one dude who is pretty big... but he was a bodybuilder for years and went into CrossFit with a pretty impressive build to begin with.

They are all in great shape though and love their "boxes" and the social aspect of it. One of the guys though - was pretty skinny when he started and told me he was gong to get "jacked". Well, it's been two years and he's still nowhere close to that goal. CrossFit might not have been the best choice for him considering the outcome he wanted.

I agree with some of this, but not all. CrossFit definitely aims to not specialize. It's in the level one trainer's handbook that their specialty is not specializing. The goal is to build a solid foundation in all 10 fitness domains, not just a couple.

I also agree that you will not become as strong as a powerlifter, or as defined as a bodybuilder. However, a lot of that is genetics and steroids. Look at top level CrossFit atheletes. They definitely look like they lift, but they are putting in way more than one training session a day. For the average person attending a few classes a week, you aren't going to build a ton of muscle or get super strong. But you likely wouldn't on a dedicated strength or hypertrophy program either. Genetics plays a big part. I started CrossFit in January. I look like I've been lifting for years. It's my body type. My coach was a bodybuilder for nearly a decade before starting CrossFit. Looking at him, he looks like he's in shape, but he's not big at all, even though he spent years trying to get as big as possible (the clean way, no steroids).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Those top tier Crossfit competitive athletes were going to excel at whatever they happened to do - genetics and drive.

Indeed the daily training helps them greatly. Though as mentioned, if they didn't already have their abilities, like lifting, it would have taken longer merely using the program to reach some of the weights they are at.

But I'd bet someone doing a specific hype lifting 3 x weekly program would see faster results than cross-fit 3 x weekly - if muscle gain was their desired goal.
    Starting from the same point in time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I did it years ago. One thing you want to be sure of and that is whether or not it's a good box. I tried a few different boxes...one of them was absolutely horrible in regards to the ratio of trainers to attendees. I also found it a bit disconcerting that in general time and getting every last rep was more sought after than proper form...I've never seen so many *kitten* cleans in my life.

In general it just wasn't my bag and didn't really suit my goals. About the only thing I liked about it was the social aspect. My goals were really to get stronger and put on some lean mass and I ultimately determined that a traditional weight training program was more suited to my objectives.

The box I went to didn't really do a whole lot with weights unless you went to the Oly class on the weekend. It was mostly just WODs which I felt were just haphazard exercise movements with no real intent or purpose. It almost felt like my military boot camp where we just did all kinds of random exercise to be doing all kinds of random exercise.

I just prefer training in a more structured manner...this is perhaps due to being a competitive athlete for much of my life, so most of the training I've ever done was very structured to help me be the best at that particular thing and not just ok at a bunch of different things.