Frozen Spinach...what to do with it.....GO!

Options
2»

Replies

• bhagavatilad1
    Options
    Palak Paneer delicious indian recipe if you like curry.

sorry you'll have to look up receipe on internet.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    how much are you having with eggs? I have 50g (2oz) with 2 eggs and 2 whites and moroccan seasoning and I can't even taste the spinach.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    spinich and ricotta canneloni- nom nom nom
    ooh, or a nice sag aloo, but amend it so there's not as much grease as there is in a take away.
  • bahamamama2
    Options
    Add it to Ragu reduced fat Alfredo sauce...1/4 cup is about 70 calories... Add this to a bed of grilled chicken and whole wheat pasta for a quick and easy chicken Florentine however if you can stuff pounded chicken breasts with the spinach/Alfredo sauce and bake it for real deal Florentine.

That's what I would do.
  • WendyHJ
    WendyHJ Posts: 60
    Options
    Gee, I need to go buy some frozen spinach! Everything sounds grea!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I have a layer in my lasagne.
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am strange, but I just heat it up and eat it. It took a couple of days to get used to, but now I like it. Even better with plain heated frozen broccoli or cauliflower.
  • SydandPaigesMom
    SydandPaigesMom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    this is absolutely delicious. I add about a cup of low fat/sodium already made pasta sauce to make it a little saucier. My 5 and 8 year olds love it as well! (lol so does DH, but he'll eat anything :D)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/09/low-fat-baked-ziti-with-spinach.html
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Chickpea and Spinach Curry

My family loves it when I cook this! There are 3 servings because I eat it on its own as a meal, but if you have it with rice, or pilau bulgur as I occasionally do, you can half the portion size. This is so incredibly low calorie for a huge portion and one of the meals I tend to make in bulk and keep in the freezer for a while. It really is delicious! Don't be daunted by all the herbs and spices, they are all great for using with other things.

Chickpea and Spinach Curry
    Serves: 3
    240g chick peas, canned, drained weight (basically one tin)
    400g tomatoes, canned
    100g spinach
    8 mushrooms
    1 onion
    2g yellow mustard seeds
    5g paprika
    5g cumin
    2g ginger
    2g garam masala
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1g pepper
    1 small red pepper
    1 small green pepper
    2 small yellow pepper

Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pan.
    Add the mustard seeds on low temperature
    When the mustard seeds start to pop add in the sliced onions garlic and ginger with a little water.
    When the onions soften add in the mushrooms and peppers.
    Add in the spices and herbs and cover for 5 mins until all the veg is soft.
    Add in the chickpeas and cover for 5 more mins.
    Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
    After 5 or so mins add the spinach (about 6/7 lumps frozen).
    Mix the spinach in so its covered by the sauce.
    Cover it up but keep stirring every few mins.
    It can be served as soon as the spinach is cooked (i.e. not frozen in big lumps, but flavour intensifies the longer you simmer it for.
    It may need simmering without the lid to reduce the wateriness of the sauce.

240 calories per serving, 7.4g F, 0.9g SF, 38.2 C, 8g S, 9.5 Fb, 9.8g P
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Saute 4 Boneless chicken breast, Set aside. In separate pan saute thawed, drained spinach in 1 tbls. olive oil and 2 crushed garlic cloves. In the pan you cooked the chicken add 1 cup of chicken broth, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. let simmer for 3 min. Mix 1 tsp corn starch with 1 tbls water and add to pan to thicken stiring constantly. When thicken add juice of 1 lemon and stir. Add chicken back to pan to coat with sauce. Top with spinach mixture and 1 slice of low fat provolone cheese. Cover until cheese is melted. Top with a couple tbls. of sauce. Good with 1 oz of whole wheat pasta, or small baked potato.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, pepper and goat cheese.

Mmmmm.