How much protein do you really need?

2»

Replies

• Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    I burned 800 calories in my workout yesterday, then spent the day cleaning my house. This is typical for me. It's not unusual for me to burn 1,000-plus calories a day above my usual daily activities.

I'm plenty active.

I base my knowledge and opinion on needed protein on places like the Mayo Clinic and well-researched studies, not the multi million-dollar industry of protein powder vendors who have people convinced they'll be "soft and doughy" if they don't consume massive amounts of protein.

THAT is where the "you need a ton of protein" BS comes from.

I'm curious what you're doing that causes you to burn 800-1000 calories per day above your usual daily activities. Say you're spinning at an intense level. With an accurate HRM you'd have to be going for anywhere from 1.5-2 hours a day to burn that many calories.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    And :flowerforyou: to all of those that agree that this article is stupid! :wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    The article is stupid. Eating meat=more polution? ORLY? How about all of the pestisides and chemicals they'd need to grow all the extra veggies if everyone stopped eating meat? Idiots.

Actually, meat has a bigger carbon footprint than vegetables do.
    http://breakingnews.ewg.org/meateatersguide/eat-smart/
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I read that article this morning...but think about this, they didn't mention anything about a person who works out or is on a calorie deficit diet. If you're working out, especially lifting weights, you need more protein because your muscles are tearing and need to repair themselves....also, I'm not sure why but I've always heard that you need at least 25-30% of your diet from protein ESPECIALLY if you're a woman on a calorie deficit diet. I don't think it would be any different for a man. And we're all on a calorie deficit diet here, so... I have been eating 25% protein the last year I've been on MFP and when I had my physical, EVERYTHING was fine... I lose weight better the more protein I eat, so I'm not going to slash that in half because of a Yahoo! article. :happy:
  • jackymenhennet
    jackymenhennet Posts: 12 Member
    My husband has been vegetarian all his life and used to do mountain climbing and ultra marathons in Scotland. Now we're a bit older, he still wakes up at 5 in the morning (we live in a very hot country) to go running. His proteins come from beans and chick peas, so you really don't need any meat at all.