Guys married in their mid 40s.

Options

Replies

• bpg0972
    bpg0972 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Treadmill desk - Not sure I could do that. The whole open office and ergonomics desks movement is a bit much for me. I like my office, desk and reclining chair to much. Besides, does anyone really pay attention while on a conf call? 😂. So I say run hard while you’re on it.

Later
  • cdnconnor
    cdnconnor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    erjones11 wrote: »
    Picked up donuts for the office this morning....staying focused there not making it in to my office or belly. One donut hole is 75 calories and I can spend my calories better elsewhere and get some protein.

Two smart cakes for me. Each is twice as big as a donut hole, lower sugar higher fiber, some protein and the same calories for two.

Have a great day guys and stick to your plan by planning ahead.

Funny vernacular - up here in Canada we call donut holes TimBits (based on the name of the ubiquitous Tim Horton's don't chain). But good for you - Double win: you are the guy who brings in office e snacks and you had the will power to stay away and eat healthy.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My wife says I am a food pusher because I no loner eat the junk myself.
    cdnconnor wrote: »
    Picked up donuts for the office this morning....staying focused there not making it in to my office or belly. One donut hole is 75 calories and I can spend my calories better elsewhere and get some protein.

Two smart cakes for me. Each is twice as big as a donut hole, lower sugar higher fiber, some protein and the same calories for two.

Funny vernacular - up here in Canada we call donut holes TimBits (based on the name of the ubiquitous Tim Horton's don't chain). But good for you - Double win: you are the guy who brings in office e snacks and you had the will power to stay away and eat healthy.

• cdnconnor
    cdnconnor Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bpg0972 wrote: »
    Treadmill desk - Not sure I could do that. The whole open office and ergonomics desks movement is a bit much for me. I like my office, desk and reclining chair to much. Besides, does anyone really pay attention while on a conf call? 😂. So I say run hard while you’re on it.

Later

Yes, this desk is in a private office so there are no gawkers.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options

I am in an office filled with grandmotherly type women. They are always bringing in some sort of baked goodie. I decline their nice offers of sugary treats all the while in my head - “begone you evil temptresses!”
  • bpg0972
    Options
    Long day and it’s only 1:30. I have a picnic this weekend where there will be plenty of smoked meats. I’m planning on burning about 800 or so calories on my bike ride tomorrow so that should help offset the inevitable pigging out I will do. I’m also going to stay clear of any alcohol, so that will help curb some of the weight gain.

Later
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I’m also going to stay clear of any alcohol, so that will help curb some of the weight gain.

I rarely drink any more. The problem for me is if I drink then I tend to not control my food intake as well.

• Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Headed to Chicago on business. Going to get some training in if I can and make decent (not necessarily good) but decent food choices.
  • bpg0972
    Options
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    Headed to Chicago on business. Going to get some training in if I can and make decent (not necessarily good) but decent food choices.

Traveling is always tough for me. It’s all about good choices. Good luck.
  • seepersaud
    seepersaud Posts: 5,759 Member
    Options
    45 here, married, father, used to be 50 lbs heavier, now in maintenance mode
  • AndyWR72
    AndyWR72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Recently turned 46, Married with a daughter, two weeks in and 19lb lost so far

SW: 280
    CW: 261
    GW: 168

• bpg0972
    Options
    Well I hit the picnic hard and ended up have a few beers and a couple of glassses of wine (Red Cat too so it was worth it). Anyways I feel like I have a food hangover. Lots of activities planned for today so I’ll burn some of the water weight off pretty quick. I’m not weighing myself today either do I get a sense of the damage tomorrow.

Later
  • grahamhmcgregor9079
    grahamhmcgregor9079 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    47 YO, father of 4 boys ranging from 11-18. Graduated University 23 years ago at 282 and have stayed almost the same since. Definitely swapped out some muscle for fat along the way. Office job which doesn’t help and travel a lot which makes finding choices hard, especially at work meeting where there is too much food or the restaurant is selected by someone else.

Lost 60 lbs 16 years ago when my father passed away and gained it all right back. Beer is my weakness.

Now the Dr says I’m borderline diabetic (not pre yet but damn close) and having some neuropathy issues from drinking too much. So I’ve cut back 90% on the beer which isn’t a problem (2 a week, one after golf and one if folks stop by, used to be at least 20-30 a week). I was on here before but dropped off so I’m looking to get back on.

5’ 10”
    SW: 282
    CW: 272 - done nothing but reduce beer
    GW: 185 - my grade 7 weight.

Open to anyone that wants to join through this. The plan is to focus on calorie reduction and deficit.
  • bpg0972
    Options
    47 YO, father of 4 boys ranging from 11-18. Graduated University 23 years ago at 282 and have stayed almost the same since. Definitely swapped out some muscle for fat along the way. Office job which doesn’t help and travel a lot which makes finding choices hard, especially at work meeting where there is too much food or the restaurant is selected by someone else.

Lost 60 lbs 16 years ago when my father passed away and gained it all right back. Beer is my weakness.

Now the Dr says I’m borderline diabetic (not pre yet but damn close) and having some neuropathy issues from drinking too much. So I’ve cut back 90% on the beer which isn’t a problem (2 a week, one after golf and one if folks stop by, used to be at least 20-30 a week). I was on here before but dropped off so I’m looking to get back on.

5’ 10”
    SW: 282
    CW: 272 - done nothing but reduce beer
    GW: 185 - my grade 7 weight.

Open to anyone that wants to join through this. The plan is to focus on calorie reduction and deficit.

Stick with it brother, the reducing calories work. Read through any of the success stories and you will hear the same thing.

Cutting back on the beer is sure to help. Empty calories, and probably not helping with you blood sugars either.

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    This is my 4th year here at MFP. I'm 49, 6'2" tall, married, and have three kids and six grandchildren! Managed to reach my goal from 305 to 178 in about 15 months starting in February of 2015. I'm currently hovering around 200lbs after spending the last 1.5 years building muscle. Hoping to cut down to around 185-190ish by the end of the summer but may not need to go that low, jury is out just yet. Welcome to MFP!
  • bpg0972
    Options
    Boring day at the office. At least the weather has cleared up. Likely go for a walk tonight to burn some calories.

Later
  • Capt_Merica
    Capt_Merica Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    44 YO married with 2 grown step kids.

SW: 450
    CW: 234
    GW: 190
  • bpg0972
    Options
    Awful quiet here today, so I figured I would post something to jar folks.

Q: What’s motivating folks to lose weight/get healthy.

Mine is making sure I don’t become my father and last 2 years into retirement.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

There's a lot of truth to that. I smoked for 23 years before quitting 7+ years ago. I found myself weighing 300+ lbs in 2015, with bad knees, a bad back, and high blood pressure. I had managed to quit smoking but was still in horrible physical shape. The only thing I knew for sure was that I wanted to be around for my children and grand children as long as possible, and if I was going to be in pain, it was going to be productive from that day forward. So in 2015 I said no more and began this journey. I'd say I'll never go back, but honestly once I reach retirement (for me that'll likely be 70 years old) I will probably be spending my time enjoying life and may slide back to some old habits, but by then, eating better and staying active should be second nature. But I do have every intention of staying as fit as possible for the next 21 years until I get there. It can only serve to give me more time to enjoy life after retirement, and that is a goal I can get behind.
  • Canadian_Expat
    Canadian_Expat Posts: 17 Member
    Options

There's a lot of truth to that. I smoked for 23 years before quitting 7+ years ago. I found myself weighing 300+ lbs in 2015, with bad knees, a bad back, and high blood pressure. I had managed to quit smoking but was still in horrible physical shape. The only thing I knew for sure was that I wanted to be around for my children and grand children as long as possible, and if I was going to be in pain, it was going to be productive from that day forward. So in 2015 I said no more and began this journey. I'd say I'll never go back, but honestly once I reach retirement (for me that'll likely be 70 years old) I will probably be spending my time enjoying life and may slide back to some old habits, but by then, eating better and staying active should be second nature. But I do have every intention of staying as fit as possible for the next 21 years until I get there. It can only serve to give me more time to enjoy life after retirement, and that is a goal I can get behind.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I quit smoking 3 years ago which I'm really proud of but then gained about 25-30 lbs so I went from being a slightly overweight smoker to a teetering on obese non-smoker. Neither of which is healthy. My older son is in college and he's encouraging me to be more healthy. My younger son is only 3 and I want to be able to play with him without my back getting sore and one day be healthy enough to be a grandfather to his children. I've been at this about a month now and although haven't lost much on the scale I've definitely lost a pant size!