Building muscle

Options
I want to build my legs, booty, shoulders, and arms. I also want to eventually have a flat tummy. I have a bit of stubborn belly fat on my lower belly. Can I build muscle on maintenance calories beyond the first year of recomp? Or are bulk and cut cycles more appropriate for these goals?

Replies

• Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    You can continue to build muscle in a re-comp after the first year but progress will be much slower. After you are done with newbie gains it is more efficient to do bulk/cut cycles.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your stats (sex, age, height, weight, bodyfat%etc)?

You can definitely build muscle at maintenance but if you are very lean and close to the bottom of BMI then it may not be as optimal
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    You can continue to build muscle in a re-comp after the first year but progress will be much slower. After you are done with newbie gains it is more efficient to do bulk/cut cycles.

Thank you for replying.
  • StargazerB
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What are your stats (sex, age, height, weight, bodyfat%etc)?

You can definitely build muscle at maintenance but if you are very lean and close to the bottom of BMI then it may not be as optimal

Female, 34, 5'2.5" 116-118 lbs, bf I would say is around 20% (just going by the mirror with that). BMI is around 21.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Are you new to lifting?

I would first start by following an established program.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Also I would start by hanging out at maintenance/recomp at least for a few months or more. Since you are already fairly lean bodyfat% wise, you can lower it a bit then move on to a bulk if you desire and you want more size. Here is more info about recomp

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

• StargazerB
    Options
    Are you new to lifting?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Also I would start by hanging out at maintenance/recomp at least for a few months or more. Since you are already fairly lean bodyfat% wise, you can lower it a bit then move on to a bulk if you desire and you want more size. Here is more info about recomp

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Thank you, I should have been more clear. I've been lifting since the beginning of 2017 and have been in maintenance since about May 2017, so over a year. Yes, I do follow a lifting program. My question was more of can I keep building muscle beyond the first year of a recomp or do I need to move on to bulk/cut cycles to continue to build.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I want to build my legs, booty, shoulders, and arms. I also want to eventually have a flat tummy. I have a bit of stubborn belly fat on my lower belly. Can I build muscle on maintenance calories beyond the first year of recomp? Or are bulk and cut cycles more appropriate for these goals?
    You can do recomp, the advantage of the bulk and cutting cycles is that if done right, you will progress faster.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Are you new to lifting?

Thank you, I should have been more clear. I've been lifting since the beginning of 2017 and have been in maintenance since about May 2017, so over a year. Yes, I do follow a lifting program. My question was more of can I keep building muscle beyond the first year of a recomp or do I need to move on to bulk/cut cycles to continue to build.

Ahh I see

That is up to you. If you feel like your progress is stalling and you are not as happy with your results, bulk/cut cycles can take you there.
  • StargazerB
    Options
    Thank you. Sounds like I can keep doing maintenance and it will take forever or I can speed up the process with bulk/cuts.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Thank you. Sounds like I can keep doing maintenance and it will take forever or I can speed up the process with bulk/cuts.

But keep in mind.. bulking can be very mentally and physically uncomfortable. You will see the scale go up. You will get bigger, your clothes may stop fitting, you will gain fat especially in your problem areas. Sometimes you have to eat more than you want and you will feel really full. But otherwise it's fun!
  • mtokarev85
    mtokarev85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

But keep in mind.. bulking can be very mentally and physically uncomfortable. You will see the scale go up. You will get bigger, your clothes may stop fitting, you will gain fat especially in your problem areas. Sometimes you have to eat more than you want and you will feel really full. But otherwise it's fun!

I have to agree about bulking being uncomfortable. I'm a light eater and found myself forcing meals when I bulked. I switched back to a body recomp because it makes me feel better.
    A body recomp will work but not fast. It's important to understand working out is a race, not a sprint. Health is always more important then aesthetics. Whatever you decide good luck and have fun.
  • StargazerB
    Options
    mtokarev85 wrote: »

I have to agree about bulking being uncomfortable. I'm a light eater and found myself forcing meals when I bulked. I switched back to a body recomp because it makes me feel better.
    A body recomp will work but not fast. It's important to understand working out is a race, not a sprint. Health is always more important then aesthetics. Whatever you decide good luck and have fun.

Good point. Honestly, I really hate eating in a deficit so cutting after a bulk may be a challenge for me. I enjoy being in maintenance but I guess I'm worried about not making any progress. But you're right it's not a sprint.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I find cutting easier. But that's because before fitness and nutrition, I have always been used to undereating and my metabolism has always been high.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I second the recomp suggestion. It is slow going but I developed so much definition from the process and felt better than doing a bulk/cut.
  • StargazerB
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Sp1tfire wrote: »
    I second the recomp suggestion. It is slow going but I developed so much definition from the process and felt better than doing a bulk/cut.

How long have you been recomping? I've been doing it for a little over a year. I have made good progress but it has become very slow.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Are you new to lifting?

Why do you think recomp is time limited? I've recomped successfully in my 50's - started training in my teens.

It's a perfectly normal process for anyone training effectively and currently below their maximum genetic potential.
    https://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/ Eric Helms explains it better than I can.

Unless you have very advanced body composition goals bulk/cut cycles aren't compulsory. In some circumstances they can be quicker though, but that's not without compromises.

• Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just posted a similar photo on my feed yesterday to remind myself of how much my body composition has changed. Do you take regular progress photos? They are priceless to me for tracking change. I'm now almost at the same weight I started out as, but look completely different. But I don't know if I'd call it a true recomp, as I got really lean then steadily gained over the next two years with a couple mini cuts in there.

zm8fsci5udd5.jpg

Great results 👍
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Why do you think recomp is time limited? I've recomped successfully in my 50's - started training in my teens.

It's a perfectly normal process for anyone training effectively and currently below their maximum genetic potential.
    https://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/ Eric Helms explains it better than I can.

Unless you have very advanced body composition goals bulk/cut cycles aren't compulsory. In some circumstances they can be quicker though, but that's not without compromises.

Great read by Bret Contreras on the topic: https://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/
  • StargazerB
    Options
    I just posted a similar photo on my feed yesterday to remind myself of how much my body composition has changed. Do you take regular progress photos? They are priceless to me for tracking change. I'm now almost at the same weight I started out as, but look completely different. But I don't know if I'd call it a true recomp, as I got really lean then steadily gained over the next two years with a couple mini cuts in there.

zm8fsci5udd5.jpg

You look awesome!