To quit keto or not quit keto?

Options
KrazyKrissyy
KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Long story short, I'm rapidly starting to gain body fat on the keto diet (I was losing weight at first but mostly from water and diarrhea). My body fat has increased 10% according to DEXA scan, weight has gone up 35-40 pounds, and have gone up almost 4 sizes. I actually got down to my lowest size and body fat on a lower fat, mainly plant-based diet. That's what I do best on apparently.
BUT (here's the catch), my seizures have reduced significantly! Something no amount of medication was able to do. So, I feel like I have 2 choices. To be close to overweight yet neurologically healthy for once. Or to be very lean/slim yet have frequent seizures.
I'm 5'6 and 151 pounds. On my former diet (when my seizures were almost daily), I was 117 pounds. I also had more energy and my depression was nonexistent, despite more seizures and meds. Now, I have only one seizure every 2 months, I sleep better, less headaches, etc. But I weigh more, feel sluggish, less energy, etc. Such a tough decision. Please no rude/mean remarks.
PS- my profile pic is not recent. It was during my dietary approach before keto.

Replies

• KrazyKrissyy
    Options
    The good news is that you can lose weight on keto if you eat fewer calories than your body burns. Are you tracking your food? Weighing/measuring your portions?

Yes and no. I'm a volume eater. It's easier for me to stick with a diet if I feel physically full (that "satieted" feeling people swear by on keto never really came to me). Hence, why I adhere to calorie deficits a lot better the more plant based I go.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options
    Decapins wrote: »
    are you counting calories on keto? I don't see why you can't lose weight while doing keto

I was told calories dont matter on keto. Granted, I do still occasionally count despite what people swear by "no need to count." But calorie deficit seems a lot harder on keto as opposed to my former, higher volume lower calorie diet. I'm a volume eater.

Calories count. That’s how you gain/lose/maintain weight (eating more/less/the same number of calories that your body burns). Keto MAY help some people control their appetite because some people find fat to be highly satiating. This doesn’t appear to be the case for you. But that doesn’t mean you’re out of options.

I’d start by logging your food to see where you’re at. Then go from there.

Can you bulk up your meals with some veggies?

That's a good idea but I may get kicked out of ketosis if I eat too many veggies? It seems like a catch-22.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    The good news is that you can lose weight on keto if you eat fewer calories than your body burns. Are you tracking your food? Weighing/measuring your portions?

Yes and no. I'm a volume eater. It's easier for me to stick with a diet if I feel physically full (that "satieted" feeling people swear by on keto never really came to me). Hence, why I adhere to calorie deficits a lot better the more plant based I go.

Yeah-I saw your other post after. I get it. I’m not satiated by fat either and I’m a volume eater as well. It’s difficult because fat is so calorie dense it means not a lot of volume for the same calories.

Keto has some flexibility in amount of fat I think? Can you drop the fat to a slightly lower level so you have a few more calories for protein? I’d feel more satiated by a 4oz chicken breast than a tablespoon of oil. But I’m not sure how much leeway you have there.

• KrazyKrissyy
    Options
    felixg1109 wrote: »
    @KrazyKrissyy Sorry to tell you, but there is no diet where you can eat more as you burn.

Yes, I've learned lol.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options

Yeah-I saw your other post after. I get it. I’m not satiated by fat either and I’m a volume eater as well. It’s difficult because fat is so calorie dense it means not a lot of volume for the same calories.

Keto has some flexibility in amount of fat I think? Can you drop the fat to a slightly lower level so you have a few more calories for protein? I’d feel more satiated by a 4oz chicken breast than a tablespoon of oil. But I’m not sure how much leeway you have there.

Will too much protein kick me out of ketosis? Lots of people say that but idk if its true.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Dietary approach before keto (left) and current (right).
    2el88eh.jpg

Weight/size before keto, 117 (left) and recent,
    151 (right). I feel more sluggish.
    257eq9d.jpg
  • KrazyKrissyy
    Options
    Another thing to add. I got updated bloodwork done. Before keto (on my high carb, mainly plant based diet), my fasting insulin was 4. My recent fasting insulin is now 11. People say keto is supposed to lower insulin, not raise it but I suspect it's from the weight gain.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I could be 100% wrong about this but I’m pretty sure that for some people, just being on keto temporarily will reduce seizures even after having carbs again. Maybe discuss with your doctor if this needs to be lifelong for you.