A year down the line - how'd that happen?!

Options
Vonny198334
Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
edited July 2018 in Success Stories
Hello MFP!

Saturday the 28th of June marked my one year anniversary of a complete lifestyle change. 14th August will mark my 365 day streak on MFP.

I wrote a thread here on the forums in February when I had reached my halfway goal. It details the first part of my journey & what life was like "before" should anyone be interested... :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10640616/halfway-to-goal-howd-that-happen

Since then I have continued to plug away...some ups, some downs but I'm proud to say that I've stuck with it no matter what. I've logged every delicious bite & kept up with my workouts...never EVER thought I'd be here after a lifetime of being a Pro in the Couch Potato Championships!

Weighing, logging & working out is just life now. I don't think about it, just go ahead & do it. Was sceptical when folk said "New habits are still habits" - how right they were!

One of the biggest lessons I've learned is that time flies by in the snap of a finger & after years of gazing longingly at other people's amazing weight loss transformations believing I could never do it myself, it's almost surreal to be so far into my own.

The journey is nowhere near as difficult for me as I thought it would be but to be fair, I pictured something akin to torture & fortunately that's been far from the reality!
There have been days/will be days (particularly during the freezing cold & muddy winter!) where the urge to eat everything in sight & hide under the duvet instead of working out was/is overwhelming. But those days have DEFINITELY been a lot scarcer than I believed they would be.
In any case, the hardest days can never compare to how hard LIFE was being morbidly obese.

Learning to eat a sustainable, tasty & satiating diet has been a learning curve but I'm grateful I was able to tweak & make small adjustments until I found the right balance for me - can't overstate how much baby steps add up to big big changes!

Trying to transform every aspect of my diet from the get go is exactly why I failed every single time before this.
I am SO grateful to all of you here on the forums for taking the time to repeat this over & over again(as well as the slew of amazing advice on literally any question I have had along the way - that search bar has been invaluable). You'll never know how much you helped me & I'll be forever grateful - thankyou <3

I'm not yet at goal, I've still 25lbs to lose before I hit a healthy BMI but I'm officially the smallest I have been as an adult. It's quite exciting being in unknown territory!
For what it's worth, here's some stats so far...

Starting clothes size was UK 18 on top, 22 on bottom & a dress size of 20. (Hiiii pearshape!)

Today I am 8/10 on top, size 12 on bottom & my dress size is 10. (Guess we're together for life :D)
My workout wear has changed from Large to Small.

I've lost 84lbs (6 stone) but with my penchant for carrying water weight 2 weeks out of 4, the scale is not really my pal!
The measuring tape on the other hand has always been good to me ;) & the biggest difference comes from my hips...12 inches gone. They are now the same size as my waist was last August....

So, that's me after a year. Lighter, healthier, stronger, pain free, awake & loving being able to fully participate in my own life.

If you're just starting out, I know it seems impossible & overwhelming.
But when you break it down piece by piece, it's not nearly as scary as you'd think - promise!

Choose to get up every day & do your best because you deserve to be happy & healthy. What you will NEVER deserve is to constantly be miserable & ashamed of your own body (if you feel anything like I did). I believe in you... please please believe in yourself

Much love & gratitude, Von <3

ulptgf3bl3zl.jpg

Replies

• Vonny198334
    Options
    Thankyou so much, that means a lot to me.
    You are doing AMAZING, oh my gosh, so many well dones - you too should be so proud of yourself, you must be smashing NSV's left & right <3
    The time flies ridiculously fast, even if it seemingly takes foreeeever while you're down the weight loss rabbit hole! No idea why on earth that is, but it can be SUCH a confusing paradox to be in :D
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Amazing job - you now look like your own daughter (if you know what I mean) Be proud of yourself and rejoice. I am sure that,
    with such a positive attitude, you will manage your maintenance brilliantly. I assume you are UK based given dress sizes. Summer so far has been great - here's hoping for a better autumn and winter than last year so outdoor activities are not as intimidating as 17/18! 😁😁
  • Vonny198334
    Options
    Haha! Thanks so much, know exactly what you mean ;)

Gosh, I really hope I am able to maintain when I reach....wherever I'm going! Though I believe I will always have to log & that's just fine by me :smiley:

Am indeed in the UK, loving the hot weather but it's been good to have a respite. Have missed not going on as many doggy adventures with my pups....they don't cope with the heat as well as I do now! Really hope it's a bit of a milder winter though, I'm shivering just remembering how cold I was!!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Well done and Happy anniversary! Yesterday was my 365th day logging on MFP, Friday will by my official one year anniversary weigh in.

Now all we need to do is maintain what we've achieved.
  • Vonny198334
    Options
    Thanks so much & happy anniversary to you too!

Ahhhaaa, should be a walk in the park for us now, right?? Haha if only :D ....

The forums came through for me once again when I read about maintenance & diet breaks (really needed a week about 8 months in & now I take about 1-2 maintainence days a month). Think it's safe to say that the 'hard work' never ends but that's okay. Imagine you feel the same too!

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options

Gosh, I really hope I am able to maintain when I reach....wherever I'm going! Though I believe I will always have to log & that's just fine by me :smiley:

Am indeed in the UK, loving the hot weather but it's been good to have a respite. Have missed not going on as many doggy adventures with my pups....they don't cope with the heat as well as I do now! Really hope it's a bit of a milder winter though, I'm shivering just remembering how cold I was!!

My sort of plan is to carry on what I'm doing now until I more or less stop losing (I am 5lbs from normal BMI) as my current regime is non aggressive and very sustainable (may add in more occasional treats out) and I will assume that I have hit maintenance. If I carry on losing slowly I will know that a whole cake on my day outs is ok (currently hubby and I share a cake if we a&e on an 'outing' 🤣
  • fmps5
    fmps5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your awesome, thanks for the inspiration to continue the success I have already achieved. Today was the 452 day of my change in lifestyle, I am 6’ 1” and have lost 50 lbs. I am on maintenance and go to the gym a few times a week, play with my boys (14 & 10) and the puppy all the time now, and feel much better over all.

Your post reminded me just how great I actually feel about my accomplishments, and re-energized my desire to stay on course. It’s better to feel fit and thin, than fat and stuffed.

Good Luck on your Journey......
  • acfisher88
    acfisher88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic! It sounds like we've been on a parallel journey - started almost the same time, lost the same amount, and still a little way to go. SUCH an inspiration! You look phenomenal :)
  • Vonny198334
    Options

My sort of plan is to carry on what I'm doing now until I more or less stop losing (I am 5lbs from normal BMI) as my current regime is non aggressive and very sustainable (may add in more occasional treats out) and I will assume that I have hit maintenance. If I carry on losing slowly I will know that a whole cake on my day outs is ok (currently hubby and I share a cake if we a&e on an 'outing' 🤣

That's definitely a sound plan! I'll be very similar, refuse to go down below a minimum 1500 Cals regularly & currently at 1600-1800(fortunately I'm quite active) so when it slows... I'll just let it

Haha, so funny, only yesterday hubs & I went for our 6 weekly muffin at this place that makes them from scratch (takes all our will power not to order a box to take home!). We shared a panini & had a whole muffin(priorities haha!)...so so good!

Feel like I'm much more relaxed about fitting in treats though. In the beginning I was convinced it's tip me over the edge back into just sitting on the couch eating everything in sight in my down time! Now though, if I REALLY want something (as opposed to just fancying it) I've no problem pencilling that bad boy in! :D
    Some weeks I eat more, some weeks I eat less but that's how it has to go cos I'd rather be a few hundred calories over my usual deficit than back to where I began.

This whole thing has been such a learning curve, really hard to explain to those who don't live it too so it's always amazing to connect with other folk on here like yourself that understand completely!
  • Vonny198334
    edited July 2018
    Options
    fmps5 wrote: »
    Your awesome, thanks for the inspiration to continue the success I have already achieved. Today was the 452 day of my change in lifestyle, I am 6’ 1” and have lost 50 lbs. I am on maintenance and go to the gym a few times a week, play with my boys (14 & 10) and the puppy all the time now, and feel much better over all.

Your post reminded me just how great I actually feel about my accomplishments, and re-energized my desire to stay on course. It’s better to feel fit and thin, than fat and stuffed.

Good Luck on your Journey......

Thankyou so much, that really does mean a lot to me.

So many well dones, that is amazing! So glad you feel better for your new lifestyle....health & participating in your own life is the biggest BIGGEST upside to all this for sure! Your children must be so proud of their Dad...imagine they absolutely love spending all this new found time playing with you - it's truly wonderful!

I really didn't realise just how much my weight impeded me in every day life...it was like being in a fog.
    I accepted the unacceptable(in no world is it okay to say no to life because you're so big you don't have the energy/are in pain through sheer body mass on your bones). Totally believed that's simply how my life was....really hope I'm never back there.. I'll certainly try my hardest not to be!

So glad you're feeling re-energised, that's what I love about the forums & why I wanted to hopefully add to the positivity...we are all inspirational to eachother. Doesn't matter if you've lost 10lbs or 100lbs, if you're at the beginning, the middle or in maintainence. We rise every morning, pitch up & get going! Totally love that
  • Vonny198334
    Options
    acfisher88 wrote: »
    Absolutely fantastic! It sounds like we've been on a parallel journey - started almost the same time, lost the same amount, and still a little way to go. SUCH an inspiration! You look phenomenal :)

Thanks so much, you're very kind!
    That's wonderful, well done indeed! Been quite the year, hey?? You look absolutely amazing too, the happiness in your "after"...(during? I maintain mine are during!) photo is just radiating out from you - just fantastic <3
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    YOU GO GIRL, SHOWIN' OFF THAT AWESOME! Beautiful, not just on the outside, but the inside too. Good luck to you on the next leg of the journey -- but I'm pretty sure you'll get exactly where you're going!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic post - congratulations, you should be so proud!

I'm always amazed at how much so many of us on this journey have in common.

Although I'm sure I'm a generation older and from the other side of the world your story mirrors mine in so many ways. Your right.... in hindsight the time passes quicker than you think and will pass whether you commit to the changes necessary or not.

I too have about 20 lbs left to my initial goal weight.... it's a slower, tuffer slog the closer I get, but I now have the tools and the confidence to persevere............. as do you !!!!!

I can't wait to read your "I've reached my goal" update.

Rock on!
  • Ghostofachance
    Ghostofachance Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Just finishing this post as well as your "halfway to goal" post and it was just what I needed to remind me that it's not always fast, not always fun but it's always worth it. Thanks for the inspiration today!
  • Vonny198334
    Options
    YOU GO GIRL, SHOWIN' OFF THAT AWESOME! Beautiful, not just on the outside, but the inside too. Good luck to you on the next leg of the journey -- but I'm pretty sure you'll get exactly where you're going!

Thanks so much, so happy to have met you.
    I'm excited to see where I'm going haha! Literally anyone's guess is as good as mine cos we're in totally uncharted territory all up in here. Certainly been a rollercoaster & my brain still hasn't caught up with my body but I'm sure it will do eventually!
  • Vonny198334
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    What a fantastic post - congratulations, you should be so proud!

I'm always amazed at how much so many of us on this journey have in common.

Although I'm sure I'm a generation older and from the other side of the world your story mirrors mine in so many ways. Your right.... in hindsight the time passes quicker than you think and will pass whether you commit to the changes necessary or not.

I too have about 20 lbs left to my initial goal weight.... it's a slower, tuffer slog the closer I get, but I now have the tools and the confidence to persevere............. as do you !!!!!

I can't wait to read your "I've reached my goal" update.

Rock on!

So happy to hear we've been slogging together even if we didn't know about it! Not sure what our age difference is(honestly though, I reckon look around ages with me), but I turned 35 in May there & I honestly don't think I've felt this great since my mid 20s....even if I was 1-2 (14-28lbs) heavier then. Really hope you're feeling as healthy & energetic as I am...it's such an amazing feeling!

The time so passes anyway & once you find your groove weight loss takes care of itself for sure. I try not to kick myself for not doing this a decade ago, but that's just life.

Thanks so much for your kind words & encouragement - means a lot!
  • Vonny198334
    Options
    Just finishing this post as well as your "halfway to goal" post and it was just what I needed to remind me that it's not always fast, not always fun but it's always worth it. Thanks for the inspiration today!

Ahh, thanks so much, really does mean a lot & I'm glad I could help in even a teeny way. Think it's human nature to want results for your hard work like, yesterday & the time can seem to feel wading through mud when you're down the rabbit hole for sure. Early on I had to just forget about how much I had to lose & just "get up & do". Thinking about how much I had to lose was so overwhelming otherwise!

You're also so right about it not always being fun...sometimes you want to eat ridiculous amounts of cake & the last thing you want is to workout but progressively I taught my body to enjoy the post exercise high more than anything I could eat. When that NSV came I was just so relieved...think I actually had a wee cry! :D Honestly, up until August last year I considered one flight of stairs "unnecessary"....

It's definitely all worth it though because being the best you shouldn't feel like a chore the whole time...spent long enough finding everything difficult when I was morbidly obese! I try to reflect my gratitude back on myself where I can too via lovely new outfits, plenty body pampering & doing things I could never have dreamed of previously like couples yoga - my husband can LIFT ME!! (Seriously, it's like witchcraft!)
    My body has been through everything bad (a LOT of abuse!) & good with me so wherever I end up, I will be thankful

Really hope the rest of your journey is kind to you whatever stage you may be in - never give up!
  • JinnBee
    JinnBee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is such a wonderful and inspiring post, and just what I needed to read this morning. Thank you! I'm just over 100 days in and so far I've lost 27 pounds of the 110 or so I'm hoping to lose. Some days it seems to be taking foreeeeeever, but I'm learning to adjust my expectations for how quickly I can reasonably reach my goals. After all, I'm making permanent life changes and forming new and better habits, and that takes time.

Congratulations on your successes so dar and thanks again for a great post! ❤
  • alpreynolds
    alpreynolds Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Von, I just want to say you’re amazing and your post has inspired me so much, so well done you should be so proud of yourself. I’m in U.K. and have 8+ stone to lose and I really needed to see your post today. You look fab and will be keeping you in my head as a role model. All the best x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!