How much did you eat before MFP?

Options

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes were my problem. I'd have a nice healthy homemade spinach and potato curry with brown rice, but eat 2-3 times more than I should and have a naan bread and a beer or two with it.

I eat the same now but smaller portions, alcohol free beer and no naan bread or a small one instead of the rice.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I think we're all heading from and to the same place.... not eating breakasfast and then gorging, snacking on some really bad foods, binging, portion control out of the window, thinking because we do eat some healthy stuff that we have a healthy diet.... I really can't give an example of a tyical day because I didn't have a food regime, I'd just stuff in whatever I could whenever I could.
    When I fisr started MFP I decided to give myself at least one day a week where I could eat and drink whatever I wanted to... I'm pretty sure I have some entries well over 4k, and I know for certain that many a time pre MFP I'd have hit 6k without even trying. Quite scary really...
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I think we're all heading from and to the same place.... not eating breakasfast and then gorging, snacking on some really bad foods, binging, portion control out of the window, thinking because we do eat some healthy stuff that we have a healthy diet.... I really can't give an example of a tyical day because I didn't have a food regime, I'd just stuff in whatever I could whenever I could.
    When I fisr started MFP I decided to give myself at least one day a week where I could eat and drink whatever I wanted to... I'm pretty sure I have some entries well over 4k, and I know for certain that many a time pre MFP I'd have hit 6k without even trying. Quite scary really...

I was thinking the opposite about breakfast. Every single person was eating in the morning - it just wasn't healthy. You're still breaking your fast even if it's not typical breakfast food.

Off topic, but I've started to think this is the flaw in the "Thin people eat breakfast" studies. If you poll a naturally thin person and ask if they ate breakfast they say yes cause they ate a banana or a donut. You ask an overeater and they say no because they just grabbed a donut and didn't prepare pancakes, eggs and bacon. Both consumed breakfast calories. Perception is the difference.
  • rachelw16
    Options
    Breakfast: Massive bowl of sugary cereal with milk and a glass of apple juice
    Lunch: Microwave meal (not the Lean Cuisine or whatever...has anyone ever had Stouffer's Crustini? Two of those), and if I was at school, the deep fried chocolate chip cookies that they make in the caf
    Snack: More cereal, and some ice cream if it was available
    Dinner: Mostly healthy, because my mom made it, but we had pizza Friday nights, so about four or five slices, plus ice cream for dessert
    After Dinner: A mug of hot chocolate

Wow. And I wondered why I was gaining weight?
  • msbeavert
    Options
    A typical day for me would consist of;

Breakfast - cheddar bagel twist and large iced french vanilla coffee from Dunkin Donuts

Lunch - fast food or take out; usually Wendy's or McDonald's or sometimes Papa Johns

Dinner - depending on the day we might go out for dinner or I would make something, usually a large meal consisting of something fried or pasta.

Snacks - hhmmm, I grazed all day long; big popcorn and chips person.

I also drank a TON of soda.

But it's been 29 days since I've totally indulged in crap food. Yay!!!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I'd alternate between 600 calorie days and 3500+ calorie days. I was not very healthy.
  • aalanclose
    aalanclose Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Working nights and in a super market I'd often pick up a pack of fresh baked muffins on the way home. Over my calorie limit in breakfast alone - never a good start to the day!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Before MFP :huh: ...ok.. here goes!

Breakfast: a sausage roll from Greggs in a soft white roll with a slice of cheese, or a ham cheese and tomato pannini, or some cereal, but at least 2 x 50g bowls.

Lunch: usually a roast chicken baguette from Waitrose (but that's actually quite healthy :laugh: ), a packet of crisps (baked or sun bites) sometimes 2 packs, lashings of diet coke and 2-3 two-finger KitKats or some other kind of chocolate bar (twix, double decker etc)

Dinner: Lamb steak, roast potatoes and veg with gravy, or Curry and rice with naan bread, or Lasagne with garlic bread.

I'd also have at least half a bar of chocolate (200g bar) and/or another packet of crips after dinner, or a Magnum ice cream

I hate to think what I snacked on between meals... sweeties and chocolate and whatever else was around the office.

I was averaging 2500-3000 calories a day without giving it a moment's thought :noway:

Since I've been on MFP I've been working at home so it's a lot easier to regulate my meals, weigh out ingredients and take control of my food intake. Also being able to keep an accurate food diary has helped as I can even find equivalents here to match some homemade meals :love:

Now, I feel I've made a good start and hopefully keep the momentum going... I'm in this for the long haul :glasses:
  • SpeedBump1
    SpeedBump1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Breakfast-Sometimes Bojangles egg biscuit with hash rounds
    Home- Steak, egg, mayo sandwich, grits with cheese. 85% of the time I plain ol skipped breakfast.

Lunch- Mc D's Double cheeseburger, fries, Orange Hi-C, something off Wegmans food bar, Subway steak and cheese, Golden Corral

Dinner- Popeye's, something off Wegmans food bar, Chinese beef with broccoli, Chinese steak egg and cheese 1/2 sub, fries, fried fish, fried shrimp, fried oysters, fried crab cakes, Taco Bell, Golden Corral, Dominos, Mojitos, anything and everything take out.

Sweets was never an issue for me, I kept that in moderation. I wish I had that much control over my old unhealthy habits.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    When I used to see people fatter than me, I'd think to myself, "How did they get like that? I eat almost continually as it is and couldn't possibly manage more!" Awful, I know :embarassed:
  • BerryH
    Options
    Breakfast: a sausage roll from Greggs in a soft white roll with a slice of cheese
    I have to say, Greggs' sausage trlls are something I'll never give up entirely, but now I'll save them for a special treat, not, "I'm a bit tired and hungover". But in a roll with extra cheese? Awesome!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Great topic and in a nutshell, any and everything in whatever quantities. Breakfast was usually a high calorie frap and sometimes something like an almond croissant. Lunch was usually some leftovers of high caloric content or eating out, also some high calorie lunch with friends, and dinner, well, pretty much whatever I was in the mood for without regard of calorie, salt content. Oh, and all day long I drank pepsi. If I had to hazard a guess, it would probably be in the 3500+ calorie range. It's amazing what you do to your body when you don't stop to think about it.

Oh, and all this with no exercise!
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump! Want to read later but have 60 min of elliptical first!
  • BerryH
    Options
    Oh yes, eating while waiting for dinner to cook (especially if my SO of the moment was going to be home late) then eating second and thirds with tons of cheese on almost anything - spaghetti bolognese, chilli, stew, you name it! And cheese on toast for supper a little later on.

I used to wash yu four times a day to destroy evidence of eating "extra" meals. :embarassed:

Now any leftovers go straight into the Tupperware for tomorrow or into the freezer for another day.
  • MrsSWW
    Options
    Oh yes, eating while waiting for dinner to cook (especially if my SO of the moment was going to be home late) then eating second and thirds with tons of cheese on almost anything - spaghetti bolognese, chilli, stew, you name it! And cheese on toast for supper a little later on.

Now any leftovers go straight into the Tupperware for tomorrow or into the freezer for another day.

Oh yes, I know that feeling so well.... a BIG plate then ANOTHER big plate.... now when I know I have The Hunger upon me I make sure I eat off a side plate, then when the second portion goes on it's not as horrific as it used to be. And yes, the freezer is full of random little foil wraps scrawled with 'mac cheese' or 'norfolk pie' rather than sitting in my belly as lard :blushing:
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Mornings - Donut w/donut holes ( that way it didn't look bad having only one donut) and a Latte
    Mid Mornings - the rest of the donut holes
    Lunch - 2 double cheeseburgers w/med or large fries & a med/large strawberry passionfruit juice or soda from McDonalds
    Late Afternoon - It's it Ice cream sandwich (like clockwork at least 3x's a week)
    Dinner - non healthy stuff I can't really remember

OMG!!! No wonder I was at 211 at my highest!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight before joining MFP, but before starting a plan to get in shape, I ate the same as I do now on most days. There were a lot more pizza deliveries or rib cookouts on the weekend though, and I wasn't getting any type of regular exercise. Adding an hour of Zumba 6 days a week, cutting out the pizza and switching ribs for fish and chicken allowed me to get back to goal.

Good point. The exercise portion was most important. With all my snacking, there was NO physical activity.
  • MrsSWW
    Options

I was thinking the opposite about breakfast. Every single person was eating in the morning - it just wasn't healthy. You're still breaking your fast even if it's not typical breakfast food.

Off topic, but I've started to think this is the flaw in the "Thin people eat breakfast" studies. If you poll a naturally thin person and ask if they ate breakfast they say yes cause they ate a banana or a donut. You ask an overeater and they say no because they just grabbed a donut and didn't prepare pancakes, eggs and bacon. Both consumed breakfast calories. Perception is the difference.

Sorry, I didn't word it as I thought it! I guess what I meant was that a lot of people seemed to be eating fast food for breakfast, rather than something home cooked when they got up. I don't class it as breakfast when you've been up 2 hours before eating...
  • BerryH
    Options
    Good point. The exercise portion was most important. With all my snacking, there was NO physical activity.
    I put on the weight despite exercising - I was at my fattest when I did the London Marathon as I used it as a license to eat.
  • MrsSWW
    Options
    Breakfast: a sausage roll from Greggs in a soft white roll with a slice of cheese
    I have to say, Greggs' sausage trlls are something I'll never give up entirely, but now I'll save them for a special treat, not, "I'm a bit tired and hungover". But in a roll with extra cheese? Awesome!

I am right here with you on this one. I regularly ate Greggs sausage rolls, now I have to give in to the craving maybe once every 3 months... last one I ate I actually let out a little whimper as I bit into it :blushing: