Life After Gallbladder removal.

Options
2»

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Had mine out almost 30 years, when I was 19. Doctors said it was caused by fats/cholesterol, though there was also a genetic component. I ate a LOT of fast food as a teenager and most of both sides of my family had or ended up needing theirs removed.

I don't recall fats doing a number on me. I avoid trans fats, but my macros are roughly 30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carb. I do not take any supplements because of it and never have. Don't miss that little organ one bit!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    gladius173 wrote: »
    update- post op from nov.gallbladder removal! perfectly perfect digestive system. I eat very well prior and continue to eat very well post. no issue no issues no issues...cant say enough. didn't have to take ox bile.... doctor said that my diet is perfect and that I shouldn't have any issues at all. He was right. I do take coconut oil extra. I lost weight.not tummy issues and my bowl movements...TMI.... perfect! Very pleased hat god took care of something that I lost because know he placed it there for a reason and I am to about to abuse this eating minus my gallbladder.

So glad to hear it went so well for you!

Thanks for taking the time to come back and let us know - I often wonder how the story came out longer term, when people seek ideas/advice!
  • gladius173
    gladius173 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Without a Gallbladder but found something that HELPED! The product by The Vit shoppe/ Multi Digestive Enzymes......Here is my min-story.....
    Gallbladder removed 10 months ago. Never had digestive issues. Once removed, I began to feel bloated, constipated, etc. Asked Doc to prescribe something that would help digest food. They were no help. I eat "CLEAN" always have and always will. Did my own research, and just stumbled on this product. What attracted me to this product was soy free, etc. free. Which you want in any supplement. Started taken this product for 4 days now and I feel amazing. No gas, no bloat and oddly - NOT CRAVING FOR FOOD? Is this possible. I read that this product would help with Pancreatic issues resulting from a missing gallbladder. But never imagined that it would curb my CRAVINGS. Anyone else experience this? I had put on weight since surgery, but now feel like my weight will come down since my food is ACTUALLY NOW DIGESTING! Anyone experience this side effect, please email me. Would love to hear your experience. Thank you. Oh and I workout like faithfully. Aging gracefully!
    Anna on Aug 2, 2018
  • gladius173
    gladius173 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    gladius173 wrote: »
    update- post op from nov.gallbladder removal! perfectly perfect digestive system. I eat very well prior and continue to eat very well post. no issue no issues no issues...cant say enough. didn't have to take ox bile.... doctor said that my diet is perfect and that I shouldn't have any issues at all. He was right. I do take coconut oil extra. I lost weight.not tummy issues and my bowl movements...TMI.... perfect! Very pleased hat god took care of something that I lost because know he placed it there for a reason and I am to about to abuse this eating minus my gallbladder.

So glad to hear it went so well for you!

Thanks for taking the time to come back and let us know - I often wonder how the story came out longer term, when people seek ideas/advice!

• kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder out but, my body still created stones and I have to have them removed. I am not able to eat deep fried food.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Had my gallbladder out about 10 years ago. No one said anything, but a gastroenterologist that I saw a year ago for some problems told me that just about everyone that has their gall bladder out will continue to have digestive issues. In my case, it was severe acid reflux. He told me to take a probiotic and I'm on a medicine for my stomach. But, I wasn't told to eat a special diet - he just said that if I found something bothered my stomach, then avoid it. (when my GB got "sick", out of the blue I started vomiting every time I ate something with some fat. Started with ribs, then a Quiznos sandwich, and can't remember what the 3rd meal was.) BTW, my father also had to have his gall bladder out, so I guess it is part of our genetics.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    Had my gallbladder out about 10 years ago. No one said anything, but a gastroenterologist that I saw a year ago for some problems told me that just about everyone that has their gall bladder out will continue to have digestive issues. In my case, it was severe acid reflux. He told me to take a probiotic and I'm on a medicine for my stomach. But, I wasn't told to eat a special diet - he just said that if I found something bothered my stomach, then avoid it. (when my GB got "sick", out of the blue I started vomiting every time I ate something with some fat. Started with ribs, then a Quiznos sandwich, and can't remember what the 3rd meal was.) BTW, my father also had to have his gall bladder out, so I guess it is part of our genetics.

I'm sorry that that's been true for you: I know that it is true for sadly many.

But for those who've not had the surgery: Be hopeful. There aren't bad consequences for everyone!

Keep in mind that gastroenterologists get return visits from people who have issues after surgery, but fewer visits from people like me who have no after-surgery problems . . . and that influences their perceptions, because they're human. :)
  • jgreeneyes23
    jgreeneyes23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ox Bile helps me a lot
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I had my gal bladder out over 5 years ago. It was enflamed and filled with stones and about the size of a baseball when they removed it! I was in constant pain. Recovery was about 4 days and I have not had issues since.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I can only go by what happened to me and what my gastroenterologist told me. I'm not a medical professional.
  • Hipnotika
    Hipnotika Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Glad i found this thread, i got my gallbladder removed a month ago. It started with a horrific pain in the middle of my stomach and would last for 4-5 hours by the 3rd day i went to my doctor and he sent me straight to the ER..i was having my gallbladder removed at midnight that same day..i was already on a low fat healthy diet however everyone on my mother side including her had their gallbladder removed so i guess for me was hereditary...it’s been a month and i have avoided everything greasy and all the foods that can cause issues after removal, i have followed doctor’s orders on the liquid diet and adjust as i go and haven’t had any issues whatsoever..the only thing i can say is i get gassy when i eat avocado but other than that no issues. As for exercise i was waiting on the green light from doc to start so here i go again. I did lose 5 lbs after surgery so that’s a plus for me. Good luck in your journey @gladius173