Does Saturated Fat Affect Cholesterol Levels?

I feel like the answer to this question changes regularly, but I'm trying to understand the effect Saturated Fat has on blood Cholesterol levels.

What's the latest science on this? Can someone point me to some reputable, non-woo sources I can read up on that are written for the layperson?

I'm asking for educational reasons. I don't have high cholesterol.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited August 2018
    I feel like the answer to this question changes regularly, but I'm trying to understand the effect Saturated Fat has on blood Cholesterol levels.

What's the latest science on this? Can someone point me to some reputable, non-woo sources I can read up on that are written for the layperson?

if you have a genetic cholesterol disorder like I do called familial hypercholesterolemia then yes it can effect blood cholesterol levels. if you dont have high cholesterol and its normal then no I dont think it does. my body produces too much cholesterol and my body(liver) cannot process it like other people can. so therefore it clogs arteries and caused other issues which can be deadly if you dont get it under control. I have to do a low fat(of all kinds) low cholesterol,high fiber diet. I also am one who has to take meds to bring it down, for me diet and exercise makes no difference. I was diagnosed when at a healthy weight.

also if you have issues with your liver not working correctly it may also cause high cholesterol if you eat saturated fats. for me though even healthy fats have to be watched
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member

if you have a genetic cholesterol disorder like I do called familial hypercholesterolemia then yes it can effect blood cholesterol levels. if you dont have high cholesterol and its normal then no I dont think it does. my body produces too much cholesterol and my body(liver) cannot process it like other people can. so therefore it clogs arteries and caused other issues which can be deadly if you dont get it under control. I have to do a low fat(of all kinds) low cholesterol,high fiber diet. I also am one who has to take meds to bring it down, for me diet and exercise makes no difference. I was diagnosed when at a healthy weight.

also if you have issues with your liver not working correctly it may also cause high cholesterol if you eat saturated fats. for me though even healthy fats have to be watched

I think I've seen you talk about this before but now that I'm specifically looking into it, it's seems more significant. I'm so sorry you have this condition but glad that you've learned what it is and have a good plan for addressing it.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    It lowers your "good' cholesterol (HDL) and increases your "bad" cholesterol (LDL). It will also increase your Triglycerides, which is the amount of fat in your blood.

Not true at all. Neither of your posts. In the absence of hypercholesterolemia, dietary fat has little or no relationship to serum cholesterol. If you believe it does, please post the research that supports your opinion. Meanwhile, Google the lipid hypothesis and the Framingham Heart Study.

Thanks Yoda :wink: This is what I thought as well, but I've seen several recommendations to lower SF if you have high cholesterol and it sounds an awful like like the now debunked advice to cut dietary cholesterol.

Also, I'll look into the references you mentioned. Thanks again.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    I'm not a medical professional, all I know is based on my personal research. mmapags seems to have the inside info on this. I do apologize if I have given you bad information. I defer to the experts.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I would go with Nina Teicholtz's Big Fat Surprise. She dives into where that myth that saturated fat=bad really are from.

... It dies seem to be getting less common now that it was a few years ago.

Dave Feldman has a collection if N=1 experiments on high fat and cholesterol. His stuff is worth looking into IMO.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So I'm going to jump in as a confused layperson just like you :smiley: It seems to me like all the major health organizations (AHA, health.gov, Mayo Clinic, etc) still say diets high in saturated fat contribute to high cholesterol, and urge those with heart disease or a high risk to limit sat fat. But recent research is starting to look like that's not the case.

I found these recently, and actually bookmarked them to read later. Not sure they will clear anything up and not claiming they prove anything, just points to ponder

British Journal of Sports Medicine Saturated fat does not clog the arteries

Effects of a very high saturated fat diet on LDL particles in adults with atherogenic dyslipidemia: A randomized controlled trial

Backlash after report claims saturated fats do not increase heart risk

I know some people talk about sat fat's link to high cholesterol like it's completely debunked, but I'm not sure where that confidence comes from yet. To be fair, I naturally don't get much sat fat anyway, so I just recently became interested in this and am looking to learn more myself :drinker:

well I can say that for me I do have some artherosclerosis due to my genetic defect and not watching my diet all those years ago, but then again back then I did not know it was genetic. I tried to eat as best as I could back then and ate low fat most of my life but obviously that didnt help as much as I think it should have. Im going to be 44 on sunday and I shouldnt have these issues but I do. for me the heart attack,stroke,TIA risk is real. the cholesterol and fat gets stored under my skin as well as in my arteries. its not fun to have when you have fat pads on your ankles and one on a knee joint. they have gotten smaller but still not gone yet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    The biggest factors for metabolic markers are your body composition, whether or not you exercise, and genetics.

But if you wanted to prioritize fats; id put unsaturated first, than SFA and limit or dont touch transfats.

But it should probably be noted that sat fats from dairy, beef, and things like coconut oil will have different impacte than fried chicken, etc...