[UK] where do I get crumbly potatoes?

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,573 Member
edited August 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I like to eat potatoes, but what I'm really missing are crumbly potatoes. I can't seem to find them at all. All I find are firm cooking potatoes :( Any ideas? I so want to eat pickled herring (best with crumbly), make cottage pie, have a big oven potato with a yoghurt dip, etc.

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Higher starch potatoes are what you are looking for - Russets or Yukon Gold. Waxy potatoes such as red or white ones cook up firmer.
  • yirara
    Options
    Higher starch potatoes are what you are looking for - Russets or Yukon Gold. Waxy potatoes such as red or white ones cook up firmer.

I usually shop at Aldi and Lidl (tight budget) and they usually sell local produce. Here in Scotland it's all grown locally, and all 'tight' :D . Maybe I should try one of the bigger supermarkets. Thanks for the name suggestions. So lets try Sainsbury or Asda next.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    For a more floury textured potato for mashing/baking etc rather than waxy, the most common types in the UK are King Edward or Maris Piper so have a look for either of those.
  • mojo4717
    mojo4717 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You learn something new every day, I never heard of crumbly potatoes unless I ve chard them on a camp fire lol
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    mojo4717 wrote: »
    You learn something new every day, I never heard of crumbly potatoes unless I ve chard them on a camp fire lol

I'd perhaps call them fluffy potatoes? I have never heard of a potato crumbling either :D
  • yirara
    Options

I'd perhaps call them fluffy potatoes? I have never heard of a potato crumbling either :D

Hmm.. might have translated from various other languages there, probably because I’ve never seen them in stores in the uk... :*o:)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Crumbly potatoes....US here and maybe a picture of a crumbly potato???? Curious.
  • Szanna
    Szanna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Floury potatoes like King Edwards & Maris Piper will be easier to find in Lidl and Aldi as we move into Autumn/Winter, traditionally they crop later than the smaller waxier varieties that are everywhere right now. That said, I’ve seen both of these in Asda, Tesco and Morrison’s within the last week. Desiree Can also work well for mash.
  • yirara
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Szanna wrote: »
    Floury potatoes like King Edwards & Maris Piper will be easier to find in Lidl and Aldi as we move into Autumn/Winter, traditionally they crop later than the smaller waxier varieties that are everywhere right now. That said, I’ve seen both of these in Asda, Tesco and Morrison’s within the last week. Desiree Can also work well for mash.

Thanks a lot! I never really looked into types of potatoes. In e.g. the Netherlands it just says kruimige aardappelen (basically crumbly potatoes) on the bag. Same in other countries I've lived in.

And on that note: what are new potatoes, btw? Why should I use new potatoes for recipes? Old potatoes would go off eventually if I don't store them properly like my granny used to over winter. Or does that mean something else?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Thanks a lot! I never really looked into types of potatoes. In e.g. the Netherlands it just says kruimige aardappelen (basically crumbly potatoes) on the bag. Same in other countries I've lived in.

And on that note: what are new potatoes, btw? Why should I use new potatoes for recipes? Old potatoes would go off eventually if I don't store them properly like my granny used to over winter. Or does that mean something else?

New potatoes are the little potatoes (from what I know as new potatoes) - like the little golf ball sized ones. I've had them steamed or roasted whole.
  • yirara
    Options

New potatoes are the little potatoes (from what I know as new potatoes) - like the little golf ball sized ones. I've had them steamed or roasted whole.

Oh, ok! So basically baby potatoes. Great. Ok, off to go shopping. The weather here in Scotland is cold enough to cook lovely winterfood all summer. I want a good cottage pie now and need starchy potatoes.
  • yirara
    Options
    Meh, no luck! Feel ashamed to admit, but I now bought ready-made mash for cottage pie later this week. Oh well...
  • mojo4717
    Options

New or baby potatoes are taken from the ground just as the flower buds on the plant, so they’re newly formed or early in the growth, if you want them to grow full size you dig them up after the flowers have died 😉
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,221 Member
    Options

Canadian-Australian here ...

Never heard of crumbly potatoes. Lots of different varieties but not "crumbly".

I usually get Dutch Creams or Nadines as decent all-rounders.

https://kitchen.nine.com.au/2017/05/04/11/23/guide-to-the-best-potatoes-for-chips-baking-and-mashing

And potatoes rarely come in bags ... they usually come in large bins from which you select the size you'd like. :)

• mojo4717
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

New or baby potatoes are taken from the ground just as the flower buds on the plant, so they’re newly formed or early in the growth, if you want them to grow full size you dig them up after the flowers have died 😉

And new potatoes are the best tasting potatoes ... boiled with just a bit of butter and salt. Mmmmmmm!!! :)

Agreed! 😋
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Look for potatoes with thick darker skins. They are the ones you need for making mashed potatoes, a baked (oven) potato, or chips (fries, frits)
    Sainsburies (Scotland) have Maris Piper, and king Edward. Never saw Russet.

New potatoes, usually golf ball size, but can be baseball size have thin skins, sometimes with it flaking off, usually a pale beige or brown. Great just boiled with butter and mint, maybe a bit of salt on the side, or if you want to make a cold potato salad. Jersey potatoes are wonderfully creamy.

Cheers, h.
  • yirara
    Options
    Thanks a lot, all! I'll try bigger supermarkets again soon. Going on vacation in less than two weeks so I'll stick with ready-made mash for now (probably lacking salt big time) and start the proper potato challenge again once I'm back.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Here in Syracuse we make salt potatoes; we are the "Salt City", after all! You are basically boiling new potatoes with a lot of salt. Like more salt than is wise. 1lb. of salt for every 4-5lbs. of potatoes. When you can pierce them, drain and drown in butter. Yeah. We're fat here in CNY, but salt potatoes will change your life.