So confused about calorie intake

Options
2»

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Remember the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? I think this might apply here. You've successfully lost 85 lbs doing what you're doing. If I were in your shoes, I'd tighten up my logging and make sure I know how many calories I'm consuming but keep doing what I'm doing otherwise.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @jessesmom81, I love your attitude and your openness.

I know you are having mobility issues with your knees, and well done on doing the chair exercises, but I was wondering if you had a pool that offered aqua fit or water walking available.
    It is a great way to exercise if you have hip or knee problems as it is very low impact, but really helps with flexibility, mobility, and will help with muscle retention and/or strengthening.

Classes can come in all levels, including ones that are specifically for people with mobility issues.

(I took my MiL to a gentle class after she had had 4 TIAs that left her weak and with balance issues, it really helped with her recovery and she is going strong at 79).

If it is not for you, or impractical, no worries, you are doing great.

Cheers, h.
  • jessesmom81
    jessesmom81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to do pool exercises. The only thing available is the Y but I am on a fixed income and it is very expensive. I appreciate the thought though. Thank you and have a blessed day :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,542 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to do pool exercises. The only thing available is the Y but I am on a fixed income and it is very expensive. I appreciate the thought though. Thank you and have a blessed day :)

Some Ys offer scholarships for low income people who have health issues (mine does). It might be worth asking . . . .
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Some Ys offer scholarships for low income people who have health issues (mine does). It might be worth asking . . . .

Ooh, @AnnPT77, I was just coming to say that, with the proviso that I am in Canada.

Cheers, h.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Ooh, @AnnPT77, I was just coming to say that, with the proviso that I am in Canada.

Cheers, h.

I should've said: Mine is in the U.S. But I don't know whether all Ys have similar policies or not.
  • jessesmom81
    Options
    Thank you. I will check into that :)
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options

And Silver Sneakers at LA Fitness or 24 Hour (and other gyms) is free! I think you get it through your Medicare.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »

And Silver Sneakers at LA Fitness or 24 Hour (and other gyms) is free! I think you get it through your Medicare.

You would think governments should help subsidize programs like this so they are affordable for all. Think of how much could be saved in health costs with this bit of preventative care.
  • jessesmom81
    Options

I'm not quite old enough for Medicare yet. I will be in December.
  • jessesmom81
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

You would think governments should help subsidize programs like this so they are affordable for all. Think of how much could be saved in health costs with this bit of preventative care.

You are so right. It would save a lot of money.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Elsie, I have been to the diabetes classes and I do track my sugars several times a day. My A1c was 6.4 last month when I went to the doctor which is good. My cholesterol was better also.I had 3 tia's last July so I am doing my very best to get all of my numbers down so that doesn't happen again. I was very lucky that it wasn't bad and I have recovered very well.

I am so happy that you recovered so well. One of the things I have learned about diabetes, is that it is entirely up to you to keep your blood sugar under control. It's great that you have worked hard to bring your numbers down. That must feel great! My sister has diabetes and a weight problem. When her numbers get out of whack, I see a change in her personality. She's more negative. When my husband was just diagnosed, and we started working together to keep his blood glucose stable, he is like his old self. For so long now, he has been cranky, and lethargic. He's back to the man I married and I love it.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Around here, some do. Local community-based senior centers sometimes have exercise programs, including some suitable for people with physical limitations. They don't always require that one be 65+ to count as "senior". There are also churches with senior exercise programs around here (I think they're free . . . but of course that isn't governments who fund the church ones).
  • jessesmom81
    Options
    Elsie, I have been to the diabetes classes and I do track my sugars several times a day. My A1c was 6.4 last month when I went to the doctor which is good. My cholesterol was better also.I had 3 tia's last July so I am doing my very best to get all of my numbers down so that doesn't happen again. I was very lucky that it wasn't bad and I have recovered very well.

I am so happy that you recovered so well. One of the things I have learned about diabetes, is that it is entirely up to you to keep your blood sugar under control. It's great that you have worked hard to bring your numbers down. That must feel great! My sister has diabetes and a weight problem. When her numbers get out of whack, I see a change in her personality. She's more negative. When my husband was just diagnosed, and we started working together to keep his blood glucose stable, he is like his old self. For so long now, he has been cranky, and lethargic. He's back to the man I married and I love it.

Thank you Elsie. Yes your sugars being out of whack does make you cranky and lethargic because you feel so bad. It is so hard on your body. I sat around for months and did nothing because I didn't have the energy or the will to get up and do anything. I just didn't care. But I have a 3 year old granddaugher that I love very much and I do want to be around a long time for her. \\

I am so glad that you husband is doing so well. You supporting him makes all the difference in the world. Have a blessed day :)