Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Lab Grown Meat... would you?

167891012»

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited July 2018
    @Mari22na messaged me to look at this thread because I am a retired medical researcher. I am not that kind of researcher, my career was spent studying the disease of kidneys and clinical research in kidney patients. Mari22na does not know that I am also a Homeopathic Physician. That seems contradictory to some folks and it sort of is, but this is what I believe, you are entitled to your own brand of medical care, opinion, crazy or whatever, but you need to understand both sides of the issue if you really care about doing what is right/best. So, some of my patients got natural medicine and some got pharmaceuticals, for myself, I typically use naturopathic rather than allopathic, but that is my choice. When it comes to food, I feel exactly the same. I like the real thing, designed by the master designer and creator. I don't want "farmed" fish and seafood, lab created anything, I want sustainable natural food that has not been modified. Your body was not designed to use that stuff and that is why we have diseases now that are new creations and why we are not able to fight off diseases like we used to, etc. But hey, that's your choice, just do your own research and think about it before you make up your mind.

If someone wants scientific reinforcements, calling in a homeopathic "physician" is ridiculous.

What do you eat that hasn't been modified? Are you saying you avoid things like broccoli and apples? They didn't just spring up from the earth, you know. They're the product of generations of human decisions and manipulation.

Have you ever seen a wild artichoke? Yikes

5ooufzynmbq3.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    @Mari22na messaged me to look at this thread because I am a retired medical researcher. I am not that kind of researcher, my career was spent studying the disease of kidneys and clinical research in kidney patients. Mari22na does not know that I am also a Homeopathic Physician. That seems contradictory to some folks and it sort of is, but this is what I believe, you are entitled to your own brand of medical care, opinion, crazy or whatever, but you need to understand both sides of the issue if you really care about doing what is right/best. So, some of my patients got natural medicine and some got pharmaceuticals, for myself, I typically use naturopathic rather than allopathic, but that is my choice. When it comes to food, I feel exactly the same. I like the real thing, designed by the master designer and creator. I don't want "farmed" fish and seafood, lab created anything, I want sustainable natural food that has not been modified. Your body was not designed to use that stuff and that is why we have diseases now that are new creations and why we are not able to fight off diseases like we used to, etc. But hey, that's your choice, just do your own research and think about it before you make up your mind.

If someone wants scientific reinforcements, calling in a homeopathic "physician" is ridiculous.

What do you eat that hasn't been modified? Are you saying you avoid things like broccoli and apples? They didn't just spring up from the earth, you know. They're the product of generations of human decisions and manipulation.

5ooufzynmbq3.jpg

Beautiful, but scary!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member

5ooufzynmbq3.jpg

Beautiful, but scary!

Makes you wonder about the first person to think "I'm hungry and I'm going to put that in my mouth."
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I wonder the same whenever I prep Gundelia and live to tell the tale. Who in their right mind thought a thistle looked appetizing?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Wait wait wait wait wait. The poster who said the opinions of posters who don't use their real picture for an avatar are of no value, doesn't use their own picture as an avatar?

Ayup.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

5ooufzynmbq3.jpg

Everything about that is screaming, "Don't eat me!!!" :lol:
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Here is another. I see these, too, in early spring on my hikes.

The wild cucumber.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Fun fact, corn has been modified so much (via normal cultivation practices, not in a lab) that it is virtually incapable of surviving on its own, because it can't disperse its seeds. It is the ultimate example of indehiscence. So if you want corn after the zombie apocalypse, be sure to grab some seeds on one of your foraging runs and guard them with your life, otherwise you're *kitten* out of luck.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    I don’t eat meat because of the incredible cruelty of factory farming and the huge amount of resources it uses and pollution it creates. If lab grown meat was not super resource intensive, sure I’d eat it, even though I haven’t eaten meat in 30 years.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    They're now thinking about texture, so that's one step forward

https://newfoodeconomy.org/cell-cultured-meat-plant-scaffold/
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Well.
    Considering that the US does not require labeling of transgenic food it is not crazy to believe that it won't require labeling for this either.
    At some point, you may be eating it without even realizing you're doing so.
    If the meat is the same in taste, texture and fragrance, and it should be since it has the same molecular structure, you won't notice it either.

It may even save the environment, as there will be no need for the industrial/factory farms, no more greenhouse gasses, no more food borne viral and bacterial infections, no more slaughter and suffering.

Or, you could just go vegan.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    Well.
    Considering that the US does not require labeling of transgenic food it is not crazy to believe that it won't require labeling for this either.
    At some point, you may be eating it without even realizing you're doing so.
    If the meat is the same in taste, texture and fragrance, and it should be since it has the same molecular structure, you won't notice it either.

It may even save the environment, as there will be no need for the industrial/factory farms, no more greenhouse gasses, no more food borne viral and bacterial infections, no more slaughter and suffering.

Or, you could just go vegan.

Depending on the conditions in which the lab grown meat is produced, going vegan and eating the lab grown meat wouldn't be mutually exclusive.