Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Spent the majority of today decluttering the Hubby's office/man cave--I started in on "honey, can we throw away some of these boxes and stuff"? The next thing I know, me and the Mr. started tossing so much stuff away, it isn't even funny. His office/man cave is sooooo good looking now. We had FUN doing it together too. For those ladies whose hubby is a major contributing factor to the "mess"...CHANGE the way you treat him (the "negative/sulky/nagging/disappointed, (fill in the blank with a condemning and whack way of reacting/treating him) CHANGE way you think about him--NOT ignore the "bad" stuff...just FOCUSING on the "good" stuff MORE instead, plus as you're getting slimmer and trimmer, he's noticing the change...believe it or not) and viola...the next thing you know, he's in on the decluttering himself and even WITH YOU>!!!!<

Now is this a "guarantee"?!? Uhhhh, ummmmm, NO--it certainly is not...but as "they" say, "try it...ya may like it" the results of the much more "FUN, loving, understanding (cause you/we're a mess too, admit it--it AINT just them...it's us too), calmer, peaceful/more relaxed, patient, "merciful", meek/humble you become towards him (AND yourself too)...the more changed for the better person you WILL become and BAM---help in the decluttering dept happens and THEN SOME. Practice makes better--it may take much more time (then you want it to=NOW or at least tomorrow, no later), but with a big ole dose of these "ingredients" listed above beautiful things happen. REMEMBER, "hurry" is an enemy. Let's continue to take our time and do it RIGHT, in the decluttering and getting slimmer and trimmer dept. too!

This is so true!

When you let go of the resentment you had towards exercise and eating right, I've found you can let go of petty resentment towards other people.

When you look after yourself, you have more compassion for others and can communicate better and can inspire them to let things go.
  • nunezj22
    nunezj22 Posts: 10 Member
    barbp7 wrote: »
    I can definitely identify with your post. Being a clutter-bug has been a lifelong struggle, same as my weight. Don't have any tips yet, but I hope to be going through my clothes closet after a few more pounds. Struggling to decide if I should get rid of the too-big clothes. Hard to let go of anything. Ya never know when ya might need it :(

All the 'experts' seem to agree, that getting rid of our old clothes is the way to go on our weight-loss journey. I have been doing it this time around and I have found that to me, it is a way of accepting the new and improved me. I say get rid of those clothes that are now too big on you! Congratulations on both the decluttering and the weight-loss!

• Orphia
    I love that... "Declutter your thoughts". :)

My motto is, "Challenge your thoughts. Don't believe everything you think."

Nice to see how decluttering can be a concept that affects mind, body, and environment.
  • Orphia
    Further to our discussion on NEAT, the MFP Blog had this article on my feed today:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/15-ways-to-sneak-more-activity-into-your-day/

I loved this tip:

2. Use commercial breaks as an opportunity to clean and organize your living space.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Last night I realized that I have to store the laundry basket on the dryer because the new washer's lid is kind of domed. So today I started going through the cupboard over the washer, making room for the laundry soap. So, as bad as the lightning strike was, it led me to cupboards that I really don't even open. They definitely need to be gone through...all of them. In the meantime I have a place to put the soap and more storage space is about to open up.
    I'm so excited to make room for things we actually use!

L@@K at that! Such a seemingly "bad" thing turning into something GOOD or even better than before. I;m so very GLAD for you! I super love how you are getting to experience making room for things you USE vs storing up "stuff" to add to clutter and/or that will just collect dust.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    snoo61 wrote: »
    Last night I realized that I have to store the laundry basket on the dryer because the new washer's lid is kind of domed. So today I started going through the cupboard over the washer, making room for the laundry soap. So, as bad as the lightning strike was, it led me to cupboards that I really don't even open. They definitely need to be gone through...all of them. In the meantime I have a place to put the soap and more storage space is about to open up.
    I'm so excited to make room for things we actually use!

L@@K at that! Such a seemingly "bad" thing turning into something GOOD or even better than before. I;m so very GLAD for you! I super love how you are getting to experience making room for things you USE vs storing up "stuff" to add to clutter and/or that will just collect dust.

Thank you! I'm feeling very accomplished! Baby steps, but it makes a difference :)
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Further to our discussion on NEAT, the MFP Blog had this article on my feed today:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/15-ways-to-sneak-more-activity-into-your-day/

I loved this tip:

2. Use commercial breaks as an opportunity to clean and organize your living space.

This is one of my favorites - I do a lot during commercial breaks. Netflix doesn't have them and I get much less done!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    @Redtweet69 I liked your post. I’m proud of you for letting go of a friend you’ve known for 40 years. Sometimes, I think friendships have a season and a reason. And when there is all there is to learn from each other, it’s time to move on. You learned how to break free of a toxic person. That must be liberating.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Oh man, decluttering is one of my favorite pastimes (no really - there is no sarcasm there!), so I am so excited to have stumbled upon this thread.

I have found for myself that when I start gaining some control or agency over one part of my life (finances, weight, space, etc.), it tends to translate and spill over into other parts of my life. It's like this energy snowball that builds and lets you power into lots of things.

So after some very wishy-washy behavior with regards to MFP, I am happy to say I have logged in for 31 days in a row which has led to very modest weight loss, but more importantly:
    • More awareness of how I am spending my money on food/things that are not serving me
    • An increased vigilance about my career and how to improve it
    • Renewed interest in making my home a safe, comfortable place to unwind and recharge
    • More awareness of how I am treating my family and friends
    • More awareness of how I spend my time

So while it's somewhat overwhelming, I am finding that getting my mind right about eating and exercising is forcing me to have a mind shift toward doing more positive things in every aspect of my life. I am trying to make my monkey mind focus on only a couple things at a time, though.

W <3 W! You're an absolute winner, period. Thank you ever so very much for taking the time to contribute here--what valuable and encouraging/inspiring words of wisdom and life you've given me. You ROCK, period.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!