Okay to give up?

I’ve been trying harder than I ever have for the past month to lose weight. I’ve been logging and exercising at least an hour every day, doing weights on alternate days, going out walking every day and my weight just fluctuates slightly, I’m not losing anything. Is there a point where you just have to concede that it won’t happen? I’ve tried incredibly hard and have nothing to show for it, other than a lot of time wasted on mindless exercise that I could have been doing something constructive.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    you don't think your health is important or something 'constructive' to work on?
  • Shimy777
    Shimy777 Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2018
    It's never Okay to give up on your self
    First of all you have to exclude endocrinal causes of weight gain
    If excluded you have to do your best to eat (healthy) and exercise.
    And the most important thing is that health is not only measured by the number on the scale you may have the same weight but not the same body composition.
    And always remember the weight you gained through out years won't just drop in a month or so.
  • takesonetoknowone
    takesonetoknowone Posts: 26 Member
    I remain eternally at the start of the process. I’ve never lost an appreciable amount of weight and likely never will. I was just a bit dismayed that my latest, most committed and sustained effort had the same result as all my previous half-hearted attempts and wondered if anyone had any perspective on admitting to oneself that it’s time to just stop as it’s never going to happen. I can think of much more enjoyable, fulfilling things to do for an hour each day than a cardio workout.

I do indeed want to be healthy, try the things I'm currently unable to do because of my weight and it would be interesting to be treated with something other than indifference and contempt by others. But is the cost too much? Is the constant disappointment and depression from failure just not worth it?
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    I have upped my workouts this past month as well. My numbers have been going down just a bit but my inches have been really changing. I don't have much to lose so it is slow. Do you have much to lose?
  • takesonetoknowone
    takesonetoknowone Posts: 26 Member
    Oh yeah, more than I care to think about 🙂
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Ok...I think the best right now would be to do what @eminater said. Focus on the foods first. Afterall, it is 80% food. Be kind to yourself. You will get there :)
  • perkele69
    perkele69 Posts: 6 Member
    If you’re logging correctly and a calorie defecit and not losing anything... you’ll be the first person in history that this happened to and your body is somehow not conforming to physics.

You need to eat less energy than surviving uses to lose weight. If you aren’t losing weight, it means you’re eating at or more than maintainance calories.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    If you don't like the exercises you're doing, find ones you do like. It sounds like you've been going full tilt, and, unless you're an athlete or used to that kind of strict regime, you might find it unsustainable. I don't know what your goals are; are you aiming for a long term lifestyle change, or is this a 'quick fix' thing for you? If you're going to get discouraged after only a month of hard work, maybe you need to manage your expectations. There's lots of factors that might be at play here, and a part of that is your own mindset. You're not seeing results on the scale so you think nothing is happening, but maybe your body is becoming healthy on the inside. Is your aim to be slim or to be healthy? The two don't necessarily go together. You need to give it time; everyone's different so you may not see visible results for a while. Do you need to tweak your eating habits or learn new ones? Do you need to go full tilt or settle into a pattern of slow, steady weight loss? If you lose weight fast without changing any behaviours you run the risk of ending up gaining it all back again. So maybe you need to think more about long term, sustainable weight loss goals, instead of going all out for a short period of time and then getting discouraged or giving up when change doesn't come quickly enough for you.
  • randielizabethwatts
    randielizabethwatts Posts: 51 Member
    First and foremost I would get your hormone levels checked. Once you can exclude that, you can KNOW that your logging is the issue. I’m having a rough day too. The scale is up and I’m pissed. But you have to keep going or else you just give in to a life of hating your body. Because you are resenting your workouts, why not focus all of your energy on the that you’re eating and consistently weighing your food? When you are ready, add in cardio etc. wishing you the best!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Practically, I would ignore everything and focus on logging food accurately. That's the skill to master if you want to lose weight and anything you tried in the past didn't work. You can add to that skill from there. If your mindset keeps sabotaging you or if you have issues that are beyond weight loss (you mentioned feeling depressed and that people are indifferent towards you) maybe therapy is not a bad idea, or at least some useful resources if you don't think therapy is a good option for you.

I bought the audio version of this because I was really interested in CBT:
    https://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/cognitive-behavioral-therapy-techniques-for-retraining-your-brain.html

I thought it was very well presented and organized. It offers a set of very useful skills for all kinds of situations, including how to handle the kind of self talk you're currently having. If you have access to something similar, it may help you understand your thoughts and tease them apart so you're not so hard on yourself when you don't see the results you want.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    The fact that you posted here means you have not given up, you just want help. Perfect. Absorb the spot-on advice in this thread and Just Do It. When you get your intake calibrated and on plan you will see the weight come off as if by magic.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Sure, you can do whatever you want to do. You're the one who had to live with the consequences of your choices. Are you ok with that?