What to do with cherry tomatoes

Options
hesn92
hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
I may have planted to many cherry tomato plants. I love the things but I have a huge bowl of them and can't eat them fast enough! I've heard of people roasting them and then freezing, adding those to stews and sauces and stuff? Help, I don't want to waste them, they are my pride and joy.

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling up to it, cherry tomato jam?
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous. I planted one cherry tomato plant in a container and I think it's yielded maybe a dozen. And half of those I found a big squirrel bite in so I had to toss them.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The tomatoes in this recipe is seriously out of this world delicious. You can make them without the salad if pasta isn't your thing, they are seriously better than candy. https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/05/pasta-salad-with-roasted-tomatoes/

They are great to make
    salsa: chop them up in 4 (or more), add some red or green onion, lime and salt. Add cilantro if you like it. It's delicious on top of grilled chicken, corn chips, souvlaki style sandwich (pita, humus, chicken, tomato salsa or plain chopped tomatoes), etc.

Bruschetta: Chop in 4 or more, bunch of fresh basil, a splash of oil (or without, I've done both with little difference), splash of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Again, with meat, on toasted bread, salad style if you add lettuce, etc.

I love avocado toast topped with cherry tomatoes, feta and basil.

One of my favorite salmon recipe: Saute onion, mushroom, red pepper and tomatoes (or what ever veggie you feel like, as long as you keep the tomatoes), season with dried herbs such as oregano, basil, etc. Pour on top of salmon and wrap in foil and in the oven it goes at 425 for 15 to 25 minutes (Mostly depends on the size of your fillet). The tomatoes will released a lot of moisture and steamed the fish. It's delicious.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    YES! Google cherry tomato sauce. I grill or sauté with other veggies as sides. Ina garten roasts them as a side by themselves. Last week I grilled shrimp and garlic and cherry tomatos in olive oil and served over grilled spaghetti squash (zoodles will work too! or pasta. I don't carb much though). Yummy!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    I use the River Cafe Simple recipe for slow roast cherry tomatoes. I think it is a good idea to prick each tomato with a fork to allow steam to escape prevent any exploded ones which then release too much liquid causing them to stew instead of roast. I am a hack in the kitchen so use dried herbs instead of fresh thyme. I do these in the air fryer at 120C for about 45 minutes instead of a conventional oven.

http://zabars.typepad.com/recipes/2018/04/recipe-for-slow-roasted-tomatoes-with-thyme.html
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I make a cherry tomato and basil salad with quinoa (can use rice, bulgar wheat, pasta, or barley you get the picture) and I put tons of halved cherry tomatoes, basil, raw garlic, and a little feta cheese. I don't add any oil or dressing and I add or dont add other veggies-depending on my mood.
    Or a tomato basil pasta
    While the pasta is cooking-chop basil and halve tomatoes, then toss pasta with tomatoes and basil and whatever cheese you want.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I cut them in half, toss them with some balsamic vinegar, sprinkle garlic, onion, smoked paprika, and some other spices on them, roast them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When dealing with garden surplus you want a bulk canning recipe that doesn’t require peeling.

https://www.gardenbetty.com/easy-peasy-homemade-tomato-sauce-no-peeling-required/

Save yourself tons of time and energy.

And why you are at it try a fried green tomatoes recipe.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    You can dry them in a very slow oven and then freeze them for a lovely tomato flavor bomb in mid-winter.
  • DoubleUbea
    Options
    When you dry them do you cut them in half or poke a hole in them so the moisture escapes or dry them whole?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I have made tomato chutney when we've had an abundance of cherry tomatoes, I have also oven roasted them slowly with basil,garlic and olive oil for a few hours so they become like sun dried tomatoes - they keep for months and months if kept in an airtight jar in olive oil.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous. I planted one cherry tomato plant in a container and I think it's yielded maybe a dozen. And half of those I found a big squirrel bite in so I had to toss them.

Maybe the roots don't have enough room in your container. My cherry tomato plants grow huge so I'm sure their roots need lots of room.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Salsa!!!!

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Freeze them and then use them in just about anything. I've done it successfully without any issue. You can roast first or do fresh. Then I use in sauces, stews, curries, tikka masala, soups, salsa, etc.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »
    Salsa!!!!

Yep! This is what I do because I grow green chile and scallions, also, so I make large batches of salsa and jar and freeze it for the rest of the year. I decorate a few jars and give them away as gifts, too.
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

Maybe the roots don't have enough room in your container. My cherry tomato plants grow huge so I'm sure their roots need lots of room.

You can water with a solution with water and Epsom salts to increase fruiting. Often animals will bite into things like tomatoes for a water source. Try putting out a little container of water, it may help prevent them from nipping on your tomatoes.
    There are containers called Smart Pots that are made from a felt-like material that allow for a healthier root system which should give you a better yield.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    When I have extras I cut them in half and dehydrate in the oven. They become sweet delicious little morsels.

I keep them in the freezer to add to casseroles, egg dishes or pasta salads.
  • DoubleUbea
    Options
    I picked some cherry tomatoes from the garden today, each tomato weighed about 12g. I found it odd that they all weighed the same amount. Now I know when I go out to eat what the weight is.
  • squeakylynn
    squeakylynn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just put mine into a container whole (no roasting or anything) freeze them then throw into soups, casseroles etc. as is. Couldn't be anything simpler.
  • charlotteliddell00
    charlotteliddell00 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Chop them in half and smother them in oregeno. Over bake them for about half an hour and let cool. Stick them on cocktail sticks with mini pickled onions and cheese or with spinach and ham. Wholla. Fussy but fun snacks