New to lifting

Options
Just wanted a quick expert opinion please. I'm 35 and have hardly ever lifted in my life. I've just made up my own programme based on some advice of gym lifting pals and YouTube videos including hammer curls and 3 other bicep moves do 4 in total. The weight is really quite light but I'm struggling to write this message I can feel my biceps burning. In a good way. I think? Question how should I feel and when can I train biceps again?

I should add I'm currently in a deficit with 50lbs to lose so not looking to get bigger just condition and retain muscle while I'm losing.

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    What I mean is I've picked 4 exercises from the 30 odd I've seen and chosen them and performed 3 sets of 12 reps for each. I'll watch the link.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    +1 to the above advice. Use a routine designed by a professional (as in the link provided by psuLemon). Randomly throwing a few exercises together without knowing anything about program design is the second least effective thing you could do (the least effective being not lifting at all).

A well-designed program will factor in volume, intensity, frequency, progression, rest periods, deloads/periodization, etc. - all of which are beyond the grasp of a beginner trying to put their own routine together.
  • NGentRD
    NGentRD Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    RoyBeck wrote: »
    Just wanted a quick expert opinion please. I'm 35 and have hardly ever lifted in my life. I've just made up my own programme based on some advice of gym lifting pals and YouTube videos including hammer curls and 3 other bicep moves do 4 in total. The weight is really quite light but I'm struggling to write this message I can feel my biceps burning. In a good way. I think? Question how should I feel and when can I train biceps again?

I should add I'm currently in a deficit with 50lbs to lose so not looking to get bigger just condition and retain muscle while I'm losing.

Biceps are a smaller muscle group so recovery won’t be that long. That being said without proper nutrition and sleep they can end up hurting for quite some time after. You ideally want to train a muscle group as soon as it’s not sore anymore and recovered. There’s something called a supercompensation model. YouTube/google it if you want a better idea, I won’t bore you. As for the program. It’s best to find something suitable for your goals and the best way of doing that is professional help. Shop around for trainers if that’s an option for you. There are a lot of good programs as well as awful ones that have you doing side bends.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I would not make up your own program. It's not going to be effective. Go to the below link, and start there.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

That^^
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I would not make up your own program. It's not going to be effective. Go to the below link, and start there.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

That^^

And another one on board with this. OP, you have neither the background or training to be designing programs. Pick out a structured and proven beginner and follow it for awhile. What you are doing is known in lifting circles as (blank)arounditis. Fill in the blank with a word that rhymes with duck and starts with an f.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is great for beginning. DH and I tried it because we switched to workout out at home and found it to be lacking, but we were more intermediate at the time. We use the New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. We've been fans of NROL since the first book. It's easily scaled to any fitness level, especially supercharged.
  • mmapags
    Options
    I just started lifting not too long ago. I did stronglifts 5x5, and had made some good gains from there. after I got used to it, I made my own program. stronglifts 5x5 suggests 3 days a week

I did Stronglifts starting out, too. I now have four state powerlifting records. I <3 Stronglifts.

that's awesome. the only thing I don't like about SL is that it doesn't take recovery and actual gains in considerations. it gets pretty difficult to add 5 pounds after every session when you reach a certain weight, or ur max. I lack sleep and occasionally protein so a lot of times I struggle to complete it, and just cause I can, doesn't mean im ready to add another 5 lol.

I haven't looked the program over or awhile but I thought he recommends a deload when that happens.
  • mmapags
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    I just started lifting not too long ago. I did stronglifts 5x5, and had made some good gains from there. after I got used to it, I made my own program. stronglifts 5x5 suggests 3 days a week

I did Stronglifts starting out, too. I now have four state powerlifting records. I <3 Stronglifts.

that's awesome. the only thing I don't like about SL is that it doesn't take recovery and actual gains in considerations. it gets pretty difficult to add 5 pounds after every session when you reach a certain weight, or ur max. I lack sleep and occasionally protein so a lot of times I struggle to complete it, and just cause I can, doesn't mean im ready to add another 5 lol.

I haven't looked the program over or awhile but I thought he recommends a deload when that happens.

its possible, but I only dled the app. its a simple app that just tells u to do 3 lifts. u complete it u add 5 pounds for next session. maybe theres a version where its more in depth

Take a look at the program on line. I'm pretty sure you do a deload week when you plateau, then restart progress. Maybe other will chime in on this. @quicksilver296
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

its possible, but I only dled the app. its a simple app that just tells u to do 3 lifts. u complete it u add 5 pounds for next session. maybe theres a version where its more in depth

Take a look at the program on line. I'm pretty sure you do a deload week when you plateau, then restart progress. Maybe other will chime in on this. @quicksilver296

Yes, the website is more comprehensive, including deloads, form videos and more.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    It's been a few days since this thread was commented on, but I wanted to add a little something to those who recommend to go with a designed program, i.e. one that's designed by somebody other than you (or me or must of the rest of us).

If you are new to lifting, remember that you are not just working the visible muscles, but all the tendons, ligaments and everything that goes along with why you want to get stronger. Yes, I know most want to get stronger to look better. But if you do get stronger, you want the whole body to be stronger for the purpose of being able to do more and accomplish things that a stronger body can do. The aesthetics of muscle building, even if they are primary in your mind, are secondary to the act of your increasing ability to produce force against an external resistance (yes, that phrase is borrowed from Rippetoe).

This is why isolation exercises for a beginner are a bad idea. Will your biceps get a little bigger if you concentrate on curls? Sure. But they'll also get bigger if you do a whole body exercise, like chin-ups, which are frequently added to whole body barbell programs. Chin-ups work your core and your back along with your biceps.

Strong Lifts 5x5 is a great program. Starting Strength is also a great program. Both are excellent for novices because they are simple and they have been proven to work time and time again.

I started with Strong Lifts and changed to Starting Strength. I was 54 last year when I was in your position: having hardly ever lifted. I started in May of 2017 and 6 months later I had the following improvements (all are 5-rep maxes - I don't know what my 1-rep maxes would have been)

Squat (sets of 5): Bar (or 45 pounds) ---> 290
    Dead Lift (sets of 5): 95 ---> 365
    Bench Press: Bar ---> 215
    Overhead Press: Bar ---> 145
    Rows: 95 ---> 165

Added chin-ups about 4 months in. Started at unable to a single. Now doing 6 sets of 5-7.

BTW every one of those barbell exercises, when done right work your core.....hard. Ditch the curls. Go compound. You can do curls later when you're intermediate, but they're a waste of time compared to the basic lifts.

TL/DR:
    I recommend a whole body routine focused on barbell lifts with progressive overload. This uses compound movements that your entire body, including your core can be engaged in. Do either the Strong Lifts or Starting Strength and if you do the program correctly (eat enough and sleep enough and get your rest) it's almost impossible for it not to give you similar or better results. You're quite a bit younger than me so your recovery time should really help.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Yes, the website is more comprehensive, including deloads, form videos and more.

Yes. And I bought fractional plates for when I couldn't go up 5 whole pounds. OHP, I'm looking at you!

I bought the ones linked. Then I could go up a half-pound, if needed.
    https://www.amazon.com/CFF-Competition-Rubber-Fractional-Weight/dp/B0158QP2EY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1534167263&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=fractional+plates+weightlifting&psc=1
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Yes. And I bought fractional plates for when I couldn't go up 5 whole pounds. OHP, I'm looking at you!

https://www.amazon.com/CFF-Competition-Rubber-Fractional-Weight/dp/B0158QP2EY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1534167263&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=fractional+plates+weightlifting&psc=1

Thanks for adding the link. I've been wanting fractionals, but too lazy to go looking for them. I love Amazon for shopping.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Thanks for adding the link. I've been wanting fractionals, but too lazy to go looking for them. I love Amazon for shopping.

Ditto.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Buy this book:

The New Rules of Lifting

You can thank me later....
  • stej5639
    stej5639 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started strong lifts 5x5. Still going and after 4 months, with nearly 4 weeks out with an injury, ive nearly doubled the weight on most of the lifts. I add some abs, arms and calves to the end of my workouts but concentrate on the program. Great for strength training and getting the most out of your session with compound movements. Heres the website if you want to read more https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Exercise_Order
    I use the app to track progress too. Good luck.