Don't be one of those people...

Options
IHaveMyActTogether
IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
edited August 2018 in Chit-Chat
Back in the days before I could fit into the red skirt in my avi, a friend of mine lost a significant amount of weight really fast. She looked FANTASTIC. She started wearing bodycon dresses and getting her hair and nails done.

I asked her how she did it, her answer: it was hard.

OK.

So we're talking and she starts in on fat women. She said she hated to see them at the nail or hair salon getting their hair or nails done.

I had my hair and nails done at the time. Her opinion was that fat women didn't "deserve" it - they needed to be spending that time exercising. She had no idea then that I exercised a lot harder and longer than she was doing. Our friendship ended that day, because I love myself enough to not tolerate disrespect.

Fast forward. She's gained a lot of her weight back and I'm now in the blue skirt in the avi.

When you get to your goal, please don't look down on people who haven't been able to achieve it yet.

I know a lot of people who decide to eat salad suddenly can't stomach seeing a fat person eat pizza. But you were once that person eating pizza.

I'm sure you have your own story about this. Share if you dare.

Replies

• Pour_Decisions
    Pour_Decisions Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    "Fat women don't deserve to get their nails done?!!!" What kind of stupidsh1t is that? Good for you for ending that friendship and I'm glad she gained her weight back.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    How sad. Why would she care what other people are doing? That is a very bad attitude for her to have.

Regarding body con dresses, I have always worn them because they work on my short frame. I cant wear voluminous clothes because they make me look huge.
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Awful perspective she had... Anyone who has put in the time should have learned what it takes (effort and time) to make it happen. Even more so, how diligent you need to be to keep the gains made.

Keep trap shut and offer support when asked. Otherwise - say nothing. Karma is a *kitten*.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    How sad. Why would she care what other people are doing? That is a very bad attitude for her to have.

Regarding body con dresses, I have always worn them because they work on my short frame. I cant wear voluminous clothes because they make me look huge.

I like bodycon dresses too. That wasn't the issue. It was that she changed her appearance, then judged others for making those same choices because, in her mind, she "deserved," the changes, and she resented those who put an effort into their appearance without first losing weight.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I can only hope that her weight regain serves as a reality check and she is humbled by it and becomes more aware.
    I also hope that she doesn't treat herself poorly with her weight re gain and instead becomes a kinder person.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    She's an idiot.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    Back in the days before I could fit into the red skirt in my avi, a friend of mine lost a significant amount of weight really fast. She looked FANTASTIC. She started wearing bodycon dresses and getting her hair and nails done.

OK.

So we're talking and she starts in on fat women. She said she hated to see them at the nail salon getting their nails done.

I had my nails done at the time. Her opinion was that fat women didn't "deserve" it - they needed to be spending that time exercising. She had no idea then that I exercised a lot harder and longer than she was doing. Our friendship ended that day, because I love myself enough to not tolerate disrespect.

Fast forward. She's gained a lot of her weight back and I'm now in the blue skirt in the avi.

When you get to your goal, please don't look down on people who haven't been able to achieve it yet.

I know a lot of people who decide to eat salad suddenly can't stomach seeing a fat person eat pizza. But you were once that person eating pizza.

I agree with this 100%. I see people lose weight and or get fit and forget what life was like beforehand. You see it even on here, some skinny dude progresses and gets some muscle and then acts as if he is now to be worshipped. The *kitten* syndrome is real. As a personal trainer I see it regularly and it makes me sick. It's great to make improvements on your appearance and with your health, but that doesn't mean you need to lose less of your mental capacity to be decent.

Bojack, check out this thread. I'd be interested to hear your opinion:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10687484/gullible-naive-society-or-just-down-right-lazy/p4
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options

OK.

So we're talking and she starts in on fat women. She said she hated to see them at the nail salon getting their nails done.

I had my nails done at the time. Her opinion was that fat women didn't "deserve" it - they needed to be spending that time exercising. She had no idea then that I exercised a lot harder and longer than she was doing. Our friendship ended that day, because I love myself enough to not tolerate disrespect.

I agree with this 100%. I see people lose weight and or get fit and forget what life was like beforehand. You see it even on here, some skinny dude progresses and gets some muscle and then acts as if he is now to be worshipped. The *kitten* syndrome is real. As a personal trainer I see it regularly and it makes me sick. It's great to make improvements on your appearance and with your health, but that doesn't mean you need to lose less of your mental capacity to be decent.

Also, can you give us some tips to remain humble in success?
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    This makes me want to hug my friends, who never cared what size I was, and wanted to go out and hang out with me because of who I am.
    Good for you in ending that friendship.... Sorry you had to go through that. I have seen that before, and it's sad.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

OK.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10687484/gullible-naive-society-or-just-down-right-lazy/p4

The debate forum is a dangerous place.
  • SandSeaSkySoul
    SandSeaSkySoul Posts: 212 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    It's also hard, being overweight/obese! I remember when at my highest weight {1 pound, via obesity}, it was a weightlifting struggle to lift my arms over my head to put my hair into a perfect ponytail! So I am within awe when I see especially morbidly obese women, with perfect ponytails! Which means that obviously they care, about themselves &'re taking care of themselves, regardless of their weight! So it's a misconception, that they're lazy!
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Wow glad you ended that friendship
    That’s a negative Nancy if I ever seen one....
    I bet her name is Nancy too
  • SouthernMamaUnderConsruction
    Options
    Awe, that's so sad. I've been on both sides of the spectrum. I grew up small - size 2 . I then had a kid and gained a lot of weight and at one point was a size 16 or 18 I think it was. On my short frame I looked and felt terrible. The way people treat for vs heavier people is sad. They look at you different. I would think that a person who has been bigger would be encouraging and uplifting. That's just me though
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »

OK.

I lurk a little but I never engage in there....
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »

OK.

You make a point.
  • kchapman588
    kchapman588 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    She did not deserve to have you as a friend. I mean that is REALLY hypocritical.
  • Dakase83
    Dakase83 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Awe, that's so sad. I've been on both sides of the spectrum. I grew up small - size 2 . I then had a kid and gained a lot of weight and at one point was a size 16 or 18 I think it was. On my short frame I looked and felt terrible. The way people treat for vs heavier people is sad. They look at you different. I would think that a person who has been bigger would be encouraging and uplifting. That's just me though

I 100% agree with this.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options

OK.

I definitely have an opinion on this....but it may take me 3 days to type it just to have nobody read it because it's too long!