Workout Routines

Options
Hi! I am a 34 yr old female needing to shed about 50lbs. I have been working out but am currently stuck and not losing like I was before. Any recommendations on a workout routine or something I should add to my daily workouts?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    How about something that is suited to your goals? Not all routines are created equal.

But if your goal is weight loss, I would look to diet rather than exercise.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This.

Focus on your calories to manipulate your weight, exercise for enjoyment, health, and/or physique goals.
  • Faith413
    Faith413 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's true! My main goal is probably weight loss however I want to tone up as well. I workout about an hr most days and do a combination of strength and cardio but wasn't sure if I should add more cardio.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Focus on a calorie deficit with accurate logging to lose the fat. Do resistance training to preserve muscle and improve your body composition. Toning comes down to having a low enough body fat to see the underlying muscle.
  • Faith413
    Options
    I guess a part of me was hoping for more exercise or a different exercise to be mentioned since I don't struggle much with the working out part but I am sure my nutrition could be much better.

Any recommendations on nutrition? Calorie counting? or?
  • trailgurl26
    trailgurl26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing Kettlebells! They are super fun, provide a huge variety, and you can get by with only having a couple different weights and they take up very little room. I have two in the living room and I have been using them on my non-run days. I would also recommend finding someone to teach you proper form so that you get the most out of the workout and learn the techniques. I got my weights at Wal-Mart and they are just as good as the ones I have used at the gym with a trainer.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Faith413 wrote: »
    I guess a part of me was hoping for more exercise or a different exercise to be mentioned since I don't struggle much with the working out part but I am sure my nutrition could be much better.

You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. Many find calorie counting to help with that, but it's certainly not necessary. Other can simply cut out a meal or snack. You'll have to find out what works for you.

You can add in more exercise/cardio if you want... but depending on your diet/intake, that may not fix your stall. It's very easy to out-eat a good exercise program.

Additionally, the ability to manage/control your intake is a good skill to develop for the long term.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Faith413 wrote: »

The best nutrition plan is the one that you will be consistent on, and help you meet your goal. It could be a named/structured diet, IF, calorie counting, intuitive eating, etc. As mentioned, for losing weight, the overall key is to be in a caloric deficit. Get adequate protein to preserve muscle, stay consistently in the green and you'll find success.

Personally, I have the most success when I log my calories meticulously and can come close to guaranteeing that I'm in a deficit consistently. However, I recognize this approach isn't for everyone.

As far as working out, following an established routine is much likely going to be more beneficial than not. This thread has a big list of linked programs for varying experience levels and equipment availability.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Faith413
    Options
    I've currently doing the Thinner, Leaner, Stronger workout but was looking for a change but maybe I'll just stick with that one.
  • sarahlucindac
    sarahlucindac Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Circuit training + elliptical 3 days a week (takes about 1.5 hours) and C25K training (takes 30 minutes) 3 days a week (6 days total in the gym) has been working nicely for me.